Your first perforance as a rookie!?!

I just marched my 1st show ever last night. I was a nervous wreck all day leading up to it. Throughout rehearsal, I just kept thinking don't screw up, remember all the visuals, etc.... But the staff did a wonderful job at preparing us and getting us into the right frame of mind. By the time we approached the gate, I was fine. I suddenly felt a wealth of pride for making it here as a corp together and I was honored to be marching onto the field with my fellow corp members. We went out there, did our thing, and the standing ovation by the crowd at the end was simply AWSOME!

I'll never forget that moment!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just marched my 1st show ever last night. I was a nervous wreck all day leading up to it. Throughout rehearsal, I just kept thinking don't screw up, remember all the visuals, etc.... But the staff did a wonderful job at preparing us and getting us into the right frame of mind. By the time we approached the gate, I was fine. I suddenly felt a wealth of pride for making it here as a corp together and I was honored to be marching onto the field with my fellow corp members. We went out there, did our thing, and the standing ovation by the crowd at the end was simply AWSOME!

THAT is what it's ALL ABOUT. Bust your butt for countless hours, in the cold and heat, for 15 MINUTES of glory. You don't have to be a soloist in any section. The thrill of going out there, doing your best, will always be with you. However, the first performance WILL ALWAYS be special in your life.

I hope that this is just the start of a long and glorious career (er, hobby).

Wow...I guess we need to differentiate between performance, field performance or field competition! (And I remember all three!)

"Performance" was at the 1978 Forum concert with the Hershey Chocolatiers..I remember arriving at the venue and having our time on the stage for rehearsal, the director/instructors stressing over when the hornline would stand, sit whatever..and the drums just standing there hurting (because in those days the drums were heavy, and we carried them with STRAPS, and it wasn't easy to take them off and put them on) Then actually playing the show through and waiting for the evening performance. As a side note...the other "tom" player had broken his arm the week before and used to play a solo leading into one of the songs...again...in those days the drums were also TUNED lower so it was a bit of a "timpani" type solo on toms. So since I had two good arms, the drum instructor came over to my house, and said "you have to learn the solo" So he taught it to me and got me to a point where it was pretty passable for performance...

My friend that was there the year before (horn player) said that you couldn't see the crowd because of the way the lighting was, so don't stress over the crowd. We walk out on stage, the curtains were closed, and we get to our places...the curtains open and THE CROWD WAS RIGHT FRICKING THERE! (bull on the lights) After the opening number (Star Wars) I think the jitters went away until my solo...I played it and went on with it the rest was a blur...I'm glad I have a recording of it...pretty cool because of that!

My first "field" performance was with the Hershey Chocolatiers in June of 1978 at the Danville show (PA) I only remember hitting the field and playing the show..not much more than that. I used to have a cassette of it somewhere but can't find it. I used to play a tambourine "duet" with the other tom player (the aforementioned dude with the broken arm) and I remember this was the first time we did our "routine" for a crowd...looking back I probably should have been embarrassed!

My first "competition" was up in Jamestown, NY in June of 1979 with the Westshoremen. I played marching timpani. I remember a long walk from the staging area, down a hill to the field (that had inadequate lighting in the back field) I also remember passing Skee Derr (who happened to be my high school drum instructor, and was marching with the Reading Buccaneers) and seeing a look of pride in his eyes as he gave me an "atta boy" as I headed off to my first official drum corps competition. Skee knowing that I came a long way from the "two left footed bass drummer" as he referred to me years later from that first high school drum rehearsal, to actually playing in my first comptetion in a real drum corps. good stuff! Ironically I do remember bits of the show, and how dark it was in the back of the field. I also remember breaking my cheap plastic tambourine that we played during one of the numbers (yep...carry a 29" timpani, play a tambourine...great stuff!) and having to ditch it since being in two pieces it wouldn't fit back on it's holder!

I guess the next thread someone should start are your "LAST" shows! (I had three of those also! hahaha!)

Yeah, those darn butterflies never go away and knowing that, I would love to be in your shoes that first performance.

Let us know how things turned out for you.....my quess is, you'll do just fine.

OMG!! The show was great! I've never felt such a rush of adrenaline! I was super nervous at the gate and walking to my spot, but then it started and it went by so quick there was no time for panicking. Next thing I knew we were in the second song. I was like wow! how'd I get here. LOL But yea my mind just clicked on to autopilot. It was also great cause it my first year AND it was a first year core!! That just made it 10 times more memorable, will never forget yesterday! :P

OMG!! The show was great! I've never felt such a rush of adrenaline! I was super nervous at the gate and walking to my spot, but then it started and it went by so quick there was no time for panicking. Next thing I knew we were in the second song. I was like wow! how'd I get here. LOL But yea my mind just clicked on to autopilot. It was also great cause it my first year AND it was a first year core!! That just made it 10 times more memorable, will never forget yesterday! :P

Great going Stephanie, It's a great feeling ain't it and that autopilot experience sometimes gave me the willies....not knowing how you got from point A to point B during the show. I guess that part of the brain that knows the show kicks in and with a little adrenaline thrown in the mix...well you now know. Thanks for sharing.

Ben

Wow...I guess we need to differentiate between performance, field performance or field competition! (And I remember all three!)

I guess the next thread someone should start are your "LAST" shows! (I had three of those also! hahaha!)

LMAO leave it to you to break it down...how would I describe my "first performance " at the Strawberry Lounge (A BAR) YES IT WAS A CORPS PERFORMANCE CYBMALS AND ALL (zip it smart ###) I know what you are thinking- do you remember when we played on the stage of a night-club ? Wonder what the "normal patrons" (not our parents who were there) thought ??

LMAO only Larry would have set up such a thing. Still thinking about coming down the hallway past the bar and stepping over the "fog machine" to get on stage.

Edited by boomboom

Oh man, I was at all three of Bens' "first times"..... And I'm the one responsible for the Forum show being in the Preserve Our Corps Memorys site.... :rolleyes:

And Ruth, I remember the corps had a "Command Performance/Fund Raiser" at the VIP at Strawberry Square one year in the early 80s... Bought tickets for myself and a lady from work. When we walked in she asked if I wanted to sit up front. I took one look at how small the place was and almost yelled "Oh My God, NO!!!" People in the front almost got smacked in the face everytime the horns came up. :beer: