Very Nice Tribute to 27th Lancers

as a former 27th Lancer I felt weird hearing Danny Boy played by the bananas but Ive got friends in that corps and George liked it so I guess its cool, I never thought this would take place back in the 80s. I would like to see more remembrances of inactive units who never get much attention like North Star or Geneseo Knights. There has been plenty of please dont forget the Lancers but young people cant forget what they never saw... (I dont believe the reason for the tribute was to prevent forgetting myself)

sorry for the rest of this, it is kinda thinking out loud but yeah, I broke stay on topic rules punishable by death... we have Reilly Raiders in Bridgemen and 27th Lancers in Reilly though!

out East it is understood that every corps with the word alumni in the name means there are drum corps vets in the unit

not that they are all necessarily 100% veterans of that particular corps, (though enough of them are to legitimize the identity)

there are primarily drum corps alumni marching so placing the word alumni behind the corps name only means it is made up of alumni members generally

The title before "alumni" signifies only identity of the unit, not which corps all the members formerly marched in specifically

Reilly Raiders are completely run by members from the competing corps of days past

but we dont even refer to ourselves as alumni often since we consider ourselves to be the Reilly Raiders today

we just call ourselves "Reilly' as always (my dad was in the competing corps, I wasnt)

if it were 100% former members then it should be called The Alumni of Reilly Raiders Drum & Bugle Corps

but it is called The Reilly Raiders - Alumni Corps, maybe we should put a dash in there like so?

I guess there is a debate in here somewhere but I think calling a unit a drum & BUGLE corps (when there arent bugles)

or calling the dance troups "color guard" when they dont guard the colors with weapons at all

is an more likely culprit

The Reilly Raiders Corps of Drum Corps Alumni?

Id rather drop it altogether and just call it the Reilly Raiders... we dont place quantifying suffixes behind the names of competing corps

Bridgemen do the same, keep it simple

Edited by BeinGreen

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a nice idea, but did you listen to it? The horns sucked big time. Horrible man. Because that was so bad, I thought they did a diservice to the corps. Nice idea that went bad. I cried at the sound of it. Can anyone remember any other song by 27 other than Crown Imperial and the dreaded Danny boy?

The Bridgemen are iconic for any of us who marched in the 60's, 70's, or 80's. I dare say that there were a whole lot of us that would have jumped at the opportunity to march with the Bridgemen if we had had the opportunity.

That's why there is this passion to recreate this corps. Does it matter whether the folks who make up the Bridgemen Alumni corps may be alumni of corps who competed with, laughed with, and loved the Bridgemen? I think not.

In 1983 my corps folded mid-season......one of the most traumatic experiences I had ever had to cope with at that point in my young life. A couple of my friends caught a ride up to Whitewater and managed to grab a couple of hornline holes and finish the season out with the Bridgemen. How I regret not having had the courage to ride along with them and maybe have had the experience of wearing the funky yellow coat myself.

Face it, the Bridgemen Alumni is for anyone who has ever just loved drum corps for the fun of it. Their tribute to George Bonfiglio was heartfelt and appreciated.

it was a nice idea, but did you listen to it? The horns sucked big time. Horrible man. Because that was so bad, I thought they did a diservice to the corps. Nice idea that went bad. I cried at the sound of it. Can anyone remember any other song by 27 other than Crown Imperial and the dreaded Danny boy?

that was brave!

lol

wearing flame retardant? here it comes!

America just loves to cry

I'm not trying to ruin the thread

you didnt ruin anything, it is a thread like any other filled with the immediate thoughts and reactions of people

its ok you had your feelings and raised the questions

you didnt have to cry and say how beautiful it was, especially if you have no history with either corps mentioned

:feednotroll:

Didn't see you out there pal. And yeah, when you put a mic right in front of one or two people, it's always going to sound great. When's the last time you heard a field brass tape where the sound was incredible.

You may have cried, but there were about 6000 people at Allentown (our second show this year, BTW) that seemed to enjoy it.

So go back to your hole and pout. Sorry that we were entertaining. Next time why don't you have the stones to sign your post when you want to bash someone?

Coward.

i'm sure he comes for a very lovely corps. :laugh:

Who dreads Danny Boy? Here are some tunes that 27 did over their last six years -

'Folk Song Suite' by Ralph Vaughn Williams

'Niner-Two' and 'Open Wide' by Don Ellis.

'Gaite Parisienne'

some smokin' percussion solos

'Seahawk'

'Henry the Vth'

Music from 'Camelot'

Music from 'Sunday in the Park with George'

I could go on. I could start naming things the Bridgemen played back then.

Did you think maybe the sound was better live in Allentown rather than caught in the background by a single cheap camcorder at track level on like the 35 yard line? Let's give'em the benefit of the doubt.

Also, bear in mind that the senior and alumni corps are on different timetables. Their seasons end Labor Day weekend, nearly a month later than DCI. A senior corps or alumni corps performing the first weekend of July is like judging a junior corps by how they sound at the March camp.

Signing off.....time to leave for Murfreesboro!

With regards to the whole Alumni Corps debate... there really isn't one. As Jimmy mentioned, we are the Bridgemen Drum & Bugle corps. At least that's what my jacket says. I grew up in FLA and LOVED the Bridgemen, but alas I was a bit to young to get the chance to put on the Yellow Coats back in the day. You think I didn't LEAP at the chance to be a part of this now?

The corps may have started as an "Alumni" corps, but we don't consider ourselves that anymore. We are simply the Bridgemen. And, as others have mentioned, everyone on the filed Sunday is one too.

The cool thing is, if you thought we looked like we were having fun, it's because we were. If you live anywhere nearby, and have the itch to march again, and want to be a part of it, YOU CAN TOO! All that is required to be a Bridgemen is the correct attitude.

As our pal Bob Barker used to say.... COME ON DOWN!