Spirit Of Newark

Kevin, your post is misleading.

While the mayor cut the funding, the city council apparently restored it.

I can't say i agree with the council though, especially since the city funds this as a way to provide NEWARK kids the opportunity to "stay off the streets" but they don't realize there are alot of kids in that corps who are NOT from the city of Newark. The city would be better off funding the school band programs rather than a drum corps made up of kids from other communities.

IMHO

Kevin,

I will say that we were still planning to go to Pasadena either way.

Kevin, your post is misleading.

While the mayor cut the funding, the city council apparently restored it.

I can't say i agree with the council though, especially since the city funds this as a way to provide NEWARK kids the opportunity to "stay off the streets" but they don't realize there are alot of kids in that corps who are NOT from the city of Newark. The city would be better off funding the school band programs rather than a drum corps made up of kids from other communities.

IMHO

Mr Itkor

I dont remember seeing you around the Spirit of Newark practices to determine if the members in our corps are from Newark or not.

In fact there are only 8 members who are not from the Newark area. Most of the drummers go to Newark public schools and the rest of the members are from schools in Newark that do NOT provide a music program. This funding is the only way the inner city kids have an opportunity to march in a drum corps. Not ALL kids can afford the $1000+ fees of the other surrounding corps and marching in a DCA corps can get expensive as well. One of our members from Newark experienced that when he went to a parade with your corps only to find his out of pocket expenses for the weekend were far more than he ever expected. He came back to us right after that.

Most of our recruiting is in the public schools and some private schools in Newark. We often reach kids with little or no music experience. Its not like we recruit from all over and have kids from all over.

These kids represents the city of Newark as a member of our corps. Another musical organization from Newark, the Newark Symphony Orchestra, gets more funding from the city than we do and I'll bet not all their members are from Newark either.

We may not as successful as we would like scorewise, but we represent a positive side of Newark around the country, which none of the other organizations from Newark get to do.

Should the city wipe out all funding to all the organizations representing Newark that have members from outside the city? I think the mayor is trying to do just that. That may be why there was such an outcry by the citizens of Newark who know of these programs and the work we do. I think the councils money is better spent on these kids and these programs than on the kids who end up in jail and detension centers.

How much of their budget goes towards incarceration? I bet that may also be a tad bit more than the funding they give Spirit.

In the future, please know your facts before you make such statements in a public forum.

Thank you

Kevin,

Mr Itkor

I dont remember seeing you around the Spirit of Newark practices to determine if the members in our corps are from Newark or not.

In fact there are only 8 members who are not from the Newark area. Most of the drummers go to Newark public schools and the rest of the members are from schools in Newark that do NOT provide a music program. This funding is the only way the inner city kids have an opportunity to march in a drum corps. Not ALL kids can afford the $1000+ fees of the other surrounding corps and marching in a DCA corps can get expensive as well. One of our members from Newark experienced that when he went to a parade with your corps only to find his out of pocket expenses for the weekend were far more than he ever expected. He came back to us right after that.

Most of our recruiting is in the public schools and some private schools in Newark. We often reach kids with little or no music experience. Its not like we recruit from all over and have kids from all over.

These kids represents the city of Newark as a member of our corps. Another musical organization from Newark, the Newark Symphony Orchestra, gets more funding from the city than we do and I'll bet not all their members are from Newark either.

We may not as successful as we would like scorewise, but we represent a positive side of Newark around the country, which none of the other organizations from Newark get to do.

Should the city wipe out all funding to all the organizations representing Newark that have members from outside the city? I think the mayor is trying to do just that. That may be why there was such an outcry by the citizens of Newark who know of these programs and the work we do. I think the councils money is better spent on these kids and these programs than on the kids who end up in jail and detension centers.

How much of their budget goes towards incarceration? I bet that may also be a tad bit more than the funding they give Spirit.

In the future, please know your facts before you make such statements in a public forum.

Thank you

^OO^ ^OO^ w/Stp: :laugh:

Not good.

Both Mr. Iktor and Mr Oldbones have valid points.

Kevin,

Mr Itkor

Thank you