Ring Chasers

I know one at a Corps this year. They chose to be an alternate instead of marching a full spot at the Boston Crusaders. But they wont make top three so he wont go there.

Well, its still hard to call him a ring chaser. Perhaps he just wants to be in this particular corps enough to deal with being an alternate. I cant say whether or not I would make the same decision, but i dont know the details....

These things are often more complex than we make them out to be.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is mostly a phase for the beginning marcher. Most likely, a person will go through high school and want to join a drum corps because they win. I attribute this to two things: immaturity and the mentality of professional sports. Many players in basketball and football will skip from team to team trying to get a ring. Most kids will grow up on this and try to emulate it, even if they are not aware.

I used to want to do this. I went from wanting to join cavies because they always place 1st or 2nd to wanting to join a corps that has a sense of history and family. The corps that I most want to join is SCV, but the stupid out-of-state rule that they have wouldn't let me.

I grew out of it, and most people touched by the dc experience grow out of it too.

If you want a ring so bad, become a leader with your corps and try to motivate people to make those around you better. :)

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

What amazes me is that there are families out there that can afford to send their kid to several corps in quest of a championship.

Is this a great country or what? Parents can afford to spend thousands on giving their kids a great drum corps experience!

SnPt

an arts booster

What amazes me is that there are families out there that can afford to send their kid to several corps in quest of a championship.

Is this a great country or what? Parents can afford to spend thousands on giving their kids a great drum corps experience!

SnPt

an arts booster

Idk about that. I paid for my corps tuition...

Maybe I should get adopted. Anybody out there want an 18 year old son?

Any takers?

I have tons of respect for people who age out where they started but I don't fault anyone who decides for one reason or another to go elsewhere for whatever reason. Maybe they didn't click with the staff, maybe they realized that they were not getting challenged where they were, maybe the bus gave them a rash... As for those who bounce from, SCV, to BD, to Cadets, to Cavies? I say.... Holy S### you were good enough to make it into any corps you wanted year after year? You kick a##! You deserve a ring for that if nothing else. What a stud!

That said, it sure would feel good to fight and die with your family. Besides, if you stick around for a few years at any of those corps, you're likely going to get a ring. If you chase the finger candy, your odds go way down.

It's simple:

If you march for, say, Boston for three years, and leave to march Cadets your age-out year, you are a ring chaser.

If you are a high school kid who wants to march with one of the best and you pick the Cadets from the beginning, you are not a ring chaser.

Qualifications of a ring chaser:

-Marches a non-champion corps at least one year.

-Moves to a corps that has won a championship in the past.

The end.

Nope.

I'd like to think I marched in a corps that people want to age out of, because we really want to get to the next level, so it really upsets when I hear that people I marched with jump ship to one of the so-called "big boys", just a "How can you leave this?" feeling.

Like someone said, I'm a ring chaser, but I don't plan on jumping ship. The one example of someone leaving for SCV, then for Cadets, and now for Cavaliers is ridiculous!

I think "ring chasers " in the pure sense of the term are more like mercenaries. First you aren't a ring chaser if you join a corps you've hoped to be a member of since childhood, nor would you be a ring chaser if you went from one corps to another once. Ring chasers join a corps specifically because they want the ring,if that corps doesn't do it for them they go to "the next" corps they perceive to be the next in line for the throne. I've known folks who've gone from one div I corps to the next almost as if their goal was to march in as many of the top corps as possible

I'm a ring chaser. In the way that every time I'm around euponitone, I have to consciously repress myself from killing him and taking his 05 ring :P

Jumping from one corps to another isn't of itself a bad thing. It's all about the motivation... and frequently, the ones that do it for the wrong reasons, you can tell.

my goals:

immediate goal: march a corps for 08.. any corps, really <_<

short-term goal: march a Div1 corps and go touring

Mid-term goal: Make Phantom Regiment's Hornline (preferably mello line.) This one is subject to change.. i <3 Phantom's shows and especially their music- i'd rather be in Phantom than be in another corps and win.. notable exception to all this being if i decide i like my present corps better when the time comes to try out for phantom, in which case i'll just stay there... because the Ultimate Goal, the Long-range one, is to have the time of my life and experience something i'll never forget in DCI- not to win.