Ring Chasers

So tell me all about them. Are they real? Are they proud of it? Is the staff happy when they show up? How do other members feel about them? What defines a ring chaser, themselves, other people? Are the folks in the traditional top three corps all ring-chasers (or is just one top corps now), why or why not? Who has the most rings? Is it considered in insult and if so, why?

what's you take on it?

tell me all about it 'cause I'm clueless

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are real, and I do not like them. <**> <**>

There is a such thing as loyalty, which ring chasers don't understand, because they are out to serve their own self vices.

Here's a scenario for you.

I live in the Central Valley of california, about 4 hours from BD and Vangurad.

Now I love both these corps both for different reasons, and not one necessarily more than the other.

Say I go audition for BD and make it, would I be a ring chaser?

Now say, I make vanguard at oh 18 years old. I march ther for 2 years, and the decide to try something different, so I make BD and march the last years of my corps career, would I be considered a ring chaser?

These questions aren't me being facetious, these are honest questions.

I think I've dated a couple....

OH you mean a DCI ring?

yeah probably... I mean I can't count on two hands how many 16 year old band kids I've known that want to march cavaliers and only cavaliers because "they're the ones that win! Why march anywhere else?"

I also knew a couple of people marching my corps that used them as a feeder corps so they could "learn, get better. and then go tryout for a winning corps the next year." Which is extremely insulting, especially to people who've marched that corps for several years, and know they could make any corps in DCI.

Basically yeah those people exist, but do you really need to be asking that? There's self indulgent, self centered, surface oriented people everywhere who will use other people and organizations for their own personal gain anywhere you go. Drum Corps is no different.

Yes they are real, and I do not like them. <**> <**>

There is a such thing as loyalty, which ring chasers don't understand, because they are out to serve their own self vices.

I dunno if that's really fair. I think any person that leaves their corps to march in one of the top corps is automatically labled a "ring chaser", and this isn't always the case. Yes, there are some people out there I'm sure that hop corps hoping to win, but I think the vast majority do not. Take me for example. The reason I originally wanted to march corps in the first place was because I was fed up with the lack of motivation from my high school marching band. We had a great staff and always had a great show, but the kids in the band just didn't care, so we didn't do well. I ended up making the corps that I wanted to march in (SCV), but if I hadn't I would have gone somewhere else to get more experience, then gone back to SCV the following year. Would I have been a ring chaser? No... I just wanted to be at the top of the activity, and I wanted to be a part of a long tradition of being there. I guess you could say I wanted to follow old traditions, not create new ones. There's nothing wrong with that, some people just want different things.

That said, I know some people that hopped from a 3rd place corps to a 2nd, and a 2nd to a 1st... now those guys were probably ring chasers. :P

Here's a scenario for you.

I live in the Central Valley of california, about 4 hours from BD and Vangurad.

Now I love both these corps both for different reasons, and not one necessarily more than the other.

Say I go audition for BD and make it, would I be a ring chaser?

Now say, I make vanguard at oh 18 years old. I march ther for 2 years, and the decide to try something different, so I make BD and march the last years of my corps career, would I be considered a ring chaser?

These questions aren't me being facetious, these are honest questions.

Along with that... my dream is to march with The Cadets. Not because they're a perennial top corps, or have won 9 rings... I've just been in awe of them since I got interested in corps, my first corps experience (both live and on video) was of them, and they've won me over.

I only have two years left to march before I age out.

Say I don't make them when I audition this fall. I go march another corps for a year, perhaps a Div II corps, perhaps a lower Div I corps... but then for my age out year, I try again for The Cadets. Am I a ring chaser?

And, I can't answer many of the questions posed by the OP because I've never marched, but I don't think that all the people in the traditional top three corps are all ring chasers. I'm sure they're there, but there are people marching those corps for plenty of other reasons than solely being in strong contention for a ring.

I remember someone telling me at an early Crown camp something along these lines ...

*a kid goes in to audition*

"What are your intentions with Crown .. blah blah ..."

"Well, when I make it here, I'll march a year and then next year I plan on making the cavaliers."

"Uh, you know, staying here is cool too."

SOMETHING like that, but the Cavaliers quote was spot on. I mean, it's one thing to be one of these people, but if you go into an audition and outright SAY you will leave the corps next year, who are they to take you on? I have no problem with people who want to be a part of a corps they love (I knew someone who marched so many years of a certain corps, was section leader this year and went to Cadets instead because he has always dreamt of being in their line) but I really hate it when people outright say "they are using this year for experience to make BD, Cavies .. etc".

So maybe he dreams of making the Cavaliers, I still believe this is ignorant to say to STAFF MEMBERS you are only going to use the corps for experience, basically. I have nothing wrong with people who wish to make their dreams reality.

Thats just my .02 though

Edited by rockthebus09