Long Beach--So Cal Classic--Impulse Show

And we in the hornline at that moment thought the crowd was cheering for our 160 bpm pinwheels... :rock:

Yep, those 6-inch cumberbunds wrapped tightly around the cadet jacket and pants were the next best thing to fusion surgery. :ph34r:

Thanks mucho for all your kind comments, :ph34r: but you'll need to come on Semi-Finals night to see us. We'll be sitting in the stands at Finals. B)

Luckily, I'll be in the stands about the 40 yd line 73 rows up for Semi's . I was willing to make a bet The Academy would make Semi's so I chose that show to attend and chose Finals to help out and volunteer. So, I'll look up at you on Finals night and wave if you will do the same for me on Semi's.

:worthy:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...So, I'll look up at you on Finals night and wave if you will do the same for me on Semi's.

:worthy:

I think looking up and waving is precluded under our "military bearing" requirements, but I'll tell you what: just for you, I promise to hit my spot in the company front at just the right time. ^_^

Good stuff, Ryan! Thank you!

Just one addition...c'mon! You didn't recognize "Stone Ground Seven" in the Renegades show? Hmmm....

MAV

Ya know--strange as it may seem, my whole "familiarization" of drum corps reps didn't really start in earnest until 1982. So the whole "Stone Ground Seven" thing went right over my head, figuratively, and literally. It WAS cool to see (and I should have put this in the review) that Renegades were marching 7/8 time pretty well. Cool to see multi meter being handled so well.

Thanks for the great review Ryan!

Question for you, since you were the announcer. With DCI's new timed script, have they mentioned anything about altering it? The reason I'm asking is because there were two VERY noticeable differences in how they did the announcement at the Atlanta show yesterday.

First, they were NOT always waiting a full minute between "Drum major(s) _________, is your corps ready?" and "Drum Corps International proudly presents, the ________." Many of the corps rely on that full minute because of the way their show is programmed (e.g. "pre-show" performance), and I noticed that BD saluted long after they were announced to begin.

Second, now they're saying "Presenting their program entitled '_____', Drum Corps International proudly presents..." This, I think, is a nice adjustment since it will at LEAST give the audience a LITTLE better idea of show concepts.

Anyway, I was just wondering if that change was made known to all show coordinators. I know you HATED doing it at the Mt. SAC show. :)

Good question and good "ear" to catch the timing. Let's see if I can elucidate the subject matter a bit more.

In order to give the new "5 minutes" set up time as voted in by the directors, DCI adopted this new way of doing the script. As someone already printed out on the main page here at DCP, timing starts when the corps begins to enter the field/stadium. It's from wherever the point of departure is as set up at the show by the coordinator. From that point, after 2 minutes have gone by, that first announcement of, "And now enterting the field, from Hackmysack, Wherever, the Nuts and Bolts Drum and Bugle Cars". That generates a little "buzz" and applause in the crowd. TECHNICALLY, at the 4 minute mark, the "Drum Major, is your corps ready" happens. Now this is where it gets sticky.

Ya see...and I could see the logic I think in this...the corps are, well...at least at Long Beach they were, more than ready by that time. So what I saw was a lot of DM's IMMEDIATELY turning around and doing their salute. Taking their shako off, smiling at the crowd (SMILING....SMILING!!!!!!!...because you know...DM'S are supposed to SMILE....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!), and then turning back around. I was bold on Saturday night and I looked at Tom Hope the coordinator and said early on in the show, "Can we just go--they're obviously ready?" Why did I ask? Because now we have DOWN TIME for 50 seconds because...well, we're timing this, right? And Tom very smartly says, "NO! They HAVE to learn. It's 5 minutes. Not 4. Not 4:10. It's 5." So...the down time could be eliminated by one of two ways.

First, staff members can take there time setting things up. On field warm ups could be longer. Being REALLY accurate and stepping things off on the opening set could happen. Anything. But the DM does NOT have to turn around IMMEDIATELY when asked if the corps is ready. That's where I think you may have been hearing a difference in the timing because DM's where you were may be were holding off so there wasn't that uncomfortable SILENCE before the corps starts.

The OTHER solution to this is just building into this "rule" the overall entertainment angle to this. DCI should know that the downtime between the DM salute and the corps starting is really unnecessary. If you're asking the DM if the corps is ready, and they acknowledge they are, then START. So either build into the rule that it IS ok to then go on immediately to the next part of the script and just start them off, OR, wait until the 4:30 mark and THEN ask. Seriously. I mean, this may be a "small point", but I think I have a tad bit of experience in announcing. The crowd IS part of the show, and if THEY'RE uncomfortable because of this timing thing, it to me takes a bit of the enjoyment away from the precedings.

The other part of your question is sort of funny. I really enjoy a great working relationship with Tom Hope our coordinator out here. He's demanding, and that's great. He is a no nonsense get the show done right kind of guy. I can work for that. I was following the script as originally put out. Just as Blue Devils B started their show (if I remember correctly) which was well into our line up on Saturday, Tom all of a sudden looks at me and says, "Oh yeah...I forgot...I guess you can start saying what their show is at the last announcement as you start their show." Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! So I started saying, using Mr. Crocker as my role model, "Presenting their 2007 program entitled, The Chase, Drum Corps International is proud to present, from Tempe, Arizona, The Academy Drum and Bugle Corps!!!" (using them as an example). NOW THAT MADE MORE SENSE!!! That was cool!

So THAT is what I will be doing at the Bakersfield show as well as championships.

BTW, this was posted in the DCI discussion section, vs. the review section, and I wanted to make sure, Ryan, you know how much the local Drum Corps community appreciates what you do:

Ryan...you are the BEST! Great job last night (getting a little more comfortable, if that is the word) with the stupid DCI announcement and all the work you do with all the corps around So. Cal....and to top it off, always one of the best reviews! I know I appreciate all you do! Thank you.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...shucks.......... :worthy:

Don't embarrass me!! T'wasn't nothin'. Thanks!!

In order to give the new "5 minutes" set up time as voted in by the directors ...

5-minute setup for a 10 1/2 minute show ... What's wrong with this picture?

5-minute setup for a 10 1/2 minute show ... What's wrong with this picture?

Ask George.

I think looking up and waving is precluded under our "military bearing" requirements, but I'll tell you what: just for you, I promise to hit my spot in the company front at just the right time. ^_^

Fair enough. I'll take it!!! ;)

Great great reviews! Good to see the corps here in thw West will be well represented come finals week/night.

Ryan, I understand (thanks to your explanation) the new script....but I STILL wanna hear the tradition "are the judges/corps ready...Corps X, you may take the field..." announcements.

Could these not be combined with the new timing somehow? The announcers do any buildup on the program and the "DCI is proud to present" while the corps is entering the field and setting up (especially if they aren't using the extra time to perform something), and then go back to the tradition announcement???

I certainly don;t mind the extra warmup time...although i DO wish more corps would take advantage of it....it's the script itself that -- frankly -- sucks major ###.