Long Beach--So Cal Classic--Impulse Show

Ryan, I understand (thanks to your explanation) the new script....but I STILL wanna hear the tradition "are the judges/corps ready...Corps X, you may take the field..." announcements.

I certainly don;t mind the extra warmup time...although i DO wish more corps would take advantage of it....it's the script itself that -- frankly -- sucks major ###.

Well if Sam doesn't like it, I guess DCI should just change it right now

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go on record (as well as my dad and brother) as saying this is the 2nd worse change DCI or whoever has made. It leaves the audience saying:

what the he## is going on?

when the he## did the the show start?

does this guy (announcer) have a clue?

All responses are bad for the activity.

We need a petition for a change back to the "not-so-old" introduction.

There was something else with the new script that was missing. In the past there was a short narrative that briefly described the corps and something about their show. This was usually presented during the one-minute warm-up. With the new script that isn’t possible any more.

OK. No big deal if the narrative is included in the promo page for each corps in the program. But no narrative of the corps or what its show is about was included in the promo pages this year. Just the show theme, a list of songs, and the corps staff. Since many people only get to see the shows one time, I’d like to see a narrative with the corps photo in the program. This would better help them (and me) understand corps programs.

Thanks for the great review Ryan!

Question for you, since you were the announcer. With DCI's new timed script, have they mentioned anything about altering it? The reason I'm asking is because there were two VERY noticeable differences in how they did the announcement at the Atlanta show yesterday.

First, they were NOT always waiting a full minute between "Drum major(s) _________, is your corps ready?" and "Drum Corps International proudly presents, the ________." Many of the corps rely on that full minute because of the way their show is programmed (e.g. "pre-show" performance), and I noticed that BD saluted long after they were announced to begin.

Second, now they're saying "Presenting their program entitled '_____', Drum Corps International proudly presents..." This, I think, is a nice adjustment since it will at LEAST give the audience a LITTLE better idea of show concepts.

Anyway, I was just wondering if that change was made known to all show coordinators. I know you HATED doing it at the Mt. SAC show. :)

Just want to add on to what Big Mac said above--and hopefully this could power down Caffeine Fencer Boy. :)

I always tried to at the very least read from the program the blurb that was written about the corps. However, at least here in California, those blurbs no longer exist. All they have is a picture of the corps, the rep, and the credits. That's it. That's both good and bad. Because quite frankly, some of the blurbs were exercises in literary spewage in my humble opinion. It was just "blah blah blah". Nice filler. But too artsy probably.

HOWEVER...it did "build up things" to get to the point of "Are the judge's ready", and so forth. And see, this is what kills me, why no one from DCI queried any of the professional announcers like Fran, or Joe Bruno or me to give our two cents. We're the ones that are the "show men" that keep the show at least interesting for as one person told me, in a state of "momentum".

Not one to just ##### and moan--the solution is obvious. I'm cool with no more verbiage about the corps. That's fine. So at the one minute remaining mark, the cue should be given, and the announcer can say, using The Academy as an example because I just like to irritate the naysayers out there that have nothing better to do than ##### about The Academy...

"This year, The Academy will present their production entitled 'The Chase'. Music will include The Chase, The Villian, The Hero, The Woman, At the Jitterbug Club, The Love Theme, and The Chase Conclusion. Drum Majors Antonio Bracamonte and Andrew Hrynyshyn, is your corps ready?" Salute..."Ladies and gentlemen, Drum Corps International is proud to present, from Tempe, Arizona, THE ACADEMY!"

So how long did it take me to read that "blurb" if you will, which is I believe the longest rep list from the program from Saturday night? Using http://www.online-stopwatch.com/ I just timed that first blurb at 00:00:18.61 seconds, and I was relaxed. By then, I guarantee ALL corps are more than ready to go barring electronic issues, and the show would be delayed ANYWAY because of that. SEE HOW THAT WORKS!! Because after I would say that blurb, the drum major would salute, and then...8 seconds for the "Ladies and gentlemen..." part.

That's my solution...and I'm sticking to it. But I'm not king of DCI.

Yet.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

Just want to add on to what Big Mac said above--and hopefully this could power down Caffeine Fencer Boy. :)

I always tried to at the very least read from the program the blurb that was written about the corps. However, at least here in California, those blurbs no longer exist. All they have is a picture of the corps, the rep, and the credits. That's it. That's both good and bad. Because quite frankly, some of the blurbs were exercises in literary spewage in my humble opinion. It was just "blah blah blah". Nice filler. But too artsy probably.

HOWEVER...it did "build up things" to get to the point of "Are the judge's ready", and so forth. And see, this is what kills me, why no one from DCI queried any of the professional announcers like Fran, or Joe Bruno or me to give our two cents. We're the ones that are the "show men" that keep the show at least interesting for as one person told me, in a state of "momentum".

Not one to just ##### and moan--the solution is obvious. I'm cool with no more verbiage about the corps. That's fine. So at the one minute remaining mark, the cue should be given, and the announcer can say, using The Academy as an example because I just like to irritate the naysayers out there that have nothing better to do than ##### about The Academy...

"This year, The Academy will present their production entitled 'The Chase'. Music will include The Chase, The Villian, The Hero, The Woman, At the Jitterbug Club, The Love Theme, and The Chase Conclusion. Drum Majors Antonio Bracamonte and Andrew Hrynyshyn, is your corps ready?" Salute..."Ladies and gentlemen, Drum Corps International is proud to present, from Tempe, Arizona, THE ACADEMY!"

So how long did it take me to read that "blurb" if you will, which is I believe the longest rep list from the program from Saturday night? Using http://www.online-stopwatch.com/ I just timed that first blurb at 00:00:18.61 seconds, and I was relaxed. By then, I guarantee ALL corps are more than ready to go barring electronic issues, and the show would be delayed ANYWAY because of that. SEE HOW THAT WORKS!! Because after I would say that blurb, the drum major would salute, and then...8 seconds for the "Ladies and gentlemen..." part.

That's my solution...and I'm sticking to it. But I'm not king of DCI.

Yet.

That's still a load better than suddenly hearing the question to the DM with nothing in front of it....

All those in favor of Ryan H. Turner for king of DCI....

<raises hand>

All those in favor of Ryan H. Turner for king of DCI....

<raises hand>

OK.... :rolleyes: (eyes rolling....sarcasm ON) Whatever!

LOL