Cavalier Show Design

10:13 to 10:34 playing while RUNNING

10:35 to 10:50 playing while SPRINTING

Ummm, has anybody noticed the actual step size that PR is taking during most of their "jazz run" technique moments??? I swear to the Holiest of Holies I saw euphs and tubas using "jazz run" technique for an 8 to 5 step size. And that ladies and gentlemen is the kindof BS, that gets you 7th in Vis. performance, and 6th in GE visual. The unison jazz run hit in Firebird that everyone has been jizzing themselves over, just take a closer look sweethearts, I think you'll notice that the high brass is indeed moving at an extended step size for the first half of the move, but after that they continue to jazz run at a 6 to 5, so they can "play" easier or something. 7th place over-qualified people of the jury, 7th is where that gets you.

they are FLYING while playing some tough horn book. :worthy:

Oh yeah, and if anybody's "FLYING" this year, it's the :doh: f#$%ing Cadets...what's that closer at? 214??? Regiment couldn't sniff 214 if they were coke fiends!

5733.jpg

Chilax! :doh:

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot the link! here it is, so now you can check out the recap, and see how PR's jazz run technique really helped them out in field performance last night!

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...f6-c370dacdb278

chilax! :worthy:

...whereas we have hundreds of pages worth of controversy..

Totally OT, but the quote above is a good example of how our society enjoys seeing the negative aspects of our lives, rather than the positive, brought to the forefrunt. This is what "sells"; this is why people slow down to stare at a car wreck; this is why people really care what happens to celebrities; human nature does not change because we disagree with it.

This is unfortunate, but it is also reality...

My question to the OP is:

Do you really have that much malcontent for a corps that you'd spend that much time berating their program?

I just don't understand why people would rather berate the groups they dislike, then celebrate the ones they love.

I have spent a crap load more time and a ton of money following this activity for a LONG time. I watch this Cavies show, and this issue is very apparant to me. I didn't need to do the research to prove the point to myself, but felt it would strengthen my point of view for this discussion.

I come from an era where you didn't have to like and appreciate everything just to substantiate it's right to exsist.

I can show you a ton of examples of how I "celebrate" the corps I like, certainly getting more enjoyment from that than I do from my assumed preference to bashing any corps. Maybe you should be trying to "understand" your ability to make assumptions without fact, rather than wasting your energy on juvenile posting.

Umm, i dont see the info for phantom, so where is this other guy getting it from???

Ummm, has anybody noticed the actual step size that PR is taking during most of their "jazz run" technique moments??? I swear to the Holiest of Holies I saw euphs and tubas using "jazz run" technique for an 8 to 5 step size. And that ladies and gentlemen is the kindof BS, that gets you 7th in Vis. performance, and 6th in GE visual. The unison jazz run hit in Firebird that everyone has been jizzing themselves over, just take a closer look sweethearts, I think you'll notice that the high brass is indeed moving at an extended step size for the first half of the move, but after that they continue to jazz run at a 6 to 5, so they can "play" easier or something. 7th place over-qualified people of the jury, 7th is where that gets you.

Oh yeah, and if anybody's "FLYING" this year, it's the :worthy: f#$%ing Cadets...what's that closer at? 214??? Regiment couldn't sniff 214 if they were coke fiends!

5733.jpg

Chilax! :doh:

Good points.

They still have to get some credit for having notes through the bell while they do it.

I have spent a crap load more time and a ton of money following this activity for a LONG time. I watch this Cavies show, and this issue is very apparant to me. I didn't need to do the research to prove the point to myself, but felt it would strengthen my point of view for this discussion.

I come from an era where you didn't have to like and appreciate everything just to substantiate it's right to exsist.

I can show you a ton of examples of how I "celebrate" the corps I like, certainly getting more enjoyment from that than I do from my assumed preference to bashing any corps. Maybe you should be trying to "understand" your ability to make assumptions without fact, rather than wasting your energy on juvenile posting.

Thanks for going through the trouble of acquiring all of your backup data for this discussion. I certainly do not have the inclination to go to that level of research. I applaud you for your efforts, though. :worthy:

I also would like to say that I don't care how long a corps parks and blows or if they play a hard passage of music while marching backwards at 210bpm. I either enjoy what is going on or I don't. Does that make me unqualified to participate in this discussion as is??? I have enough other things going on in my life to worry about how long the Cavaliers (or any corps) is playing while they are marching.

Edited by Gray3

Now...may I rant?

I grow very weary of people who don't like someone's position and therefore, they reveal their thoughtlessness by not engaging in the debate and instead post pictures of waaambulances or stupid little quips. I can't help but wonder if there are a bunch of junior high kids on this forum whose goal is to just spout off.

When will there be a thread where legitimate debate can take place?

If you don't agree with the argument on this post, then prove why.

What I grow weary of is the appearance of the annual two-weeks-after-DCI "Our show is harder, and it should have won" or the "We got screwed by the judges" threads.

Unfortunately, it seems to have shown up WAAAAAY early this year. :(

Do you want a legitimate debate, really??

Let's debate the fact that the Cavaliers have seemed to have figured out how to maximize the value of the points that are awarded by the judging community.

And your argument would be what? They came in second TWICE this decade??? Please. That's not debatable.

Let's debate my opinion that the Cavaliers have figured out how to win shows much better than PR has. Do I really need to point out that 20 > 1 again??? I don't think so.

OK, then let's move on to what should ACTUALLY be debated in this entire thread. Should the judging community reward difficulty in evaluating shows?

I agree. Absolutely.

However, apparently by the data provided by the OP from his pirated video, this doesn't happen. And I guess that competing corps have three options to consider: play the game by the existing rules, play the game by your own rules and try to change the rules--or play the game by your own rules and suffer the consequences.

I guess that if a corps follows the third option, the consequences are losing. And last time I checked, this is STILL a competitive activity. The goal is to win......by WHICHEVER otion the corps chooses. Again, work smarter and win--or work harder and lose.

I fully support everyone's right to like their drum corps however they want it served up. And I'm more than happy to read your opinion of your favorite corps, and what you like or dislike about another corps' show.

I will disagree, however, that this is an invitation to a legitimate debate:

I'm really getting tired of the visual and music scores they get year after year.

It seems to me more along the lines of sour grapes from scores received from the judging community that the poster feels are unwarranted. And I won't stray from my opinion that this thread has a LOT less to do with the "I'm upset at the way the scoring system is set up" and is more along the lines of "I need another glass of Cavalier haterade, because they just beat my favorite corps again"

Again, that's just my opinion. And spending hours marking down each corps' "Park and Blow" time won't change it.

And of course, whining about your placement will get you this:

What I grow weary of is the appearance of the annual two-weeks-after-DCI "Our show is harder, and it should have won" or the "We got screwed by the judges" threads.

Unfortunately, it seems to have shown up WAAAAAY early this year. :(

Do you want a legitimate debate, really??

Let's debate the fact that the Cavaliers have seemed to have figured out how to maximize the value of the points that are awarded by the judging community.

And your argument would be what? They came in second TWICE this decade??? Please. That's not debatable.

Let's debate my opinion that the Cavaliers have figured out how to win shows much better than PR has. Do I really need to point out that 20 > 1 again??? I don't think so.

OK, then let's move on to what should ACTUALLY be debated in this entire thread. Should the judging community reward difficulty in evaluating shows?

I agree. Absolutely.

However, apparently by the data provided by the OP from his pirated video, this doesn't happen. And I guess that competing corps have three options to consider: play the game by the existing rules, play the game by your own rules and try to change the rules--or play the game by your own rules and suffer the consequences.

I guess that if a corps follows the third option, the consequences are losing. And last time I checked, this is STILL a competitive activity. The goal is to win......by WHICHEVER otion the corps chooses. Again, work smarter and win--or work harder and lose.

I fully support everyone's right to like their drum corps however they want it served up. And I'm more than happy to read your opinion of your favorite corps, and what you like or dislike about another corps' show.

I will disagree, however, that this is an invitation to a legitimate debate:

It seems to me more along the lines of sour grapes from scores received from the judging community that the poster feels are unwarranted. And I won't stray from my opinion that this thread has a LOT less to do with the "I'm upset at the way the scoring system is set up" and is more along the lines of "I need another glass of Cavalier haterade, because they just beat my favorite corps again"

Again, that's just my opinion. And spending hours marking down each corps' "Park and Blow" time won't change it.

And of course, whining about your placement will get you this:

A LOT of what you say is true....unfortunately. They play the game, i happen to think that the game should be changed a little bit. At least you dont deny what theyre doing though, and i respect that.