Cavalier Show Design

That's just silly. If I needed to do everything before I could have an opinion, there would be very few things in life that I could have an opinion about.

cheers

No I don't think it is silly. If you are going to place some over the rest of the competition based on "physical standpoint" then having a valid physical comparison is fair.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grow very weary of people who don't like someone's position and therefore, they reveal their thoughtlessness by not engaging in the debate and instead post pictures of waaambulances or stupid little quips. I can't help but wonder if there are a bunch of junior high kids on this forum whose goal is to just spout off.

When will there be a thread where legitimate debate can take place?

If you don't agree with the argument on this post, then prove why.

I don't have anything to add. I just wanted to see this again. :)

:blah:

Here's all the research I need to do:

Cavaliers...59 years...20 National Championships

PR...51 years...1 National Championship

Thinking bad!

I guess I want to draw comparisons to other "judges" activities.

Figure skaters have to decide if they are going to try "triples" or "doubles" in various combinations. The harder the degree of difficulty, the more the reward for it's execution. It is smart to balance a program to meet the ability of the performer. Sometimes you are better off performing a perfect double combination as opposed to falling on a triple.

I am just trying to point out who is doing triples and who is doing figure 8's.

So corps should have assigned point values to every second that they play while moving, how many sets there are, what the step size is, how many bpm it is, how many notes there are, how high the notes are, etc.? B/c then everyone would just jazz run around the perimeter of the field at 200 bpm play 16th note runs for 11 minutes b/c they can only get so many points doing anything less...

Truman, great post. One bit of admonition though is to not start you post off like you did. Tends to detract from your point.

Appreciate that, I was just trying to freely admit, and discount, my dislike as an argument against my theory.

I guess I want to draw comparisons to other "judges" activities.

Figure skaters have to decide if they are going to try "triples" or "doubles" in various combinations. The harder the degree of difficulty, the more the reward for it's execution. It is smart to balance a program to meet the ability of the performer. Sometimes you are better off performing a perfect double combination as opposed to falling on a triple.

I am just trying to point out who is doing triples and who is doing figure 8's.

Not being an expert in figure skating, I would have to believe that there is some weight given to where in the show those jumps are done. What if the skater in his or her long program does all of the difficult jumps within the first thirty seconds (if that's even possible) and lands them perfectly, but skates around waving their arms and smiling real big for the rest of the performance. Then someone else comes in and spreads their jumps out which aren't quite as difficult overall, but lands a couple towards the end of the show when they are exhausted. Who should score higher?

Seems like there needs to be consideration to these types of issues within drum corps as well.

For example: the rolling on the ground that you seem so dismissive of. No one else is even attempting something as challenging as that.

Yes - now THAT is really classic!!! :worthy:

I for one believe a 215bpm oblique company-front is more difficult for 64 horn players to hold for 20 counts than an individual slowly rolling on the ground.

Or Regiments jazz running horn line at the end of Firebird...

But maybe that's just me. :)

Edited by George

Knowing both of the brothers, and having marched with one, I think that has more to do with the Cadets getting their ##### kicked all of the time, and the lack of sleep.

I think I heard one of the words used to describe the Cadet was "emaciated".

I would hardly call travis emaciated...he still had plenty of meat on him :P

The rest of your post is a little outside the realm of this thread for me to debate, so ill let it die (Shocker i know :) )

So corps should have assigned point values to every second that they play while moving, how many sets there are, what the step size is, how many bpm it is, how many notes there are, how high the notes are, etc.? B/c then everyone would just jazz run around the perimeter of the field at 200 bpm play 16th note runs for 11 minutes b/c they can only get so many points doing anything less...

NO!

How hard something that is performed is should be a factor when judging this activity. You have to balance what you attempt with your ability to execute it.

Edited by truman