Cavalier Show Design

I think you should try marching everyone's drill book before making a opinion based on physical demands of a show.

Just my thought.

That's just silly. If I needed to do everything before I could have an opinion, there would be very few things in life that I could have an opinion about.

cheers

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

work smarter > work harder

Lol...i wondered how long it would take for the typical response to come up. This has nothing to do with working smarter vs harder. Its not a debate about gatorade breaks, cell phones, sleeping in, or free days, Its about marching and playing. Heaven forbid we ask top drum corps to actually march and play. Nice cheap shot on PR btw, ill take their 2nd place marching and playing any day. Ill also take pre-2006 ish cavies any day to what I am seeing now out of them.

:blah:

Here's all the research I need to do:

Cavaliers...59 years...20 National Championships

PR...51 years...1 National Championship

work smarter > work harder

Did somebody call 911, and the season isn't even over yet??

wambulance.gif

Don't need for this season to be over to make this point. If you can't see the facts for what they are, don't CRY to me. I do not happen to agree with the demand marks Cavies have gotten for a long time. Execution should be where they make "hay", the degree of difficulty is inferior.

That's just silly. If I needed to do everything before I could have an opinion, there would be very few things in life that I could have an opinion about.

cheers

Its more than silly, it's ridiculous. Since no person will ever march more than 1, let alone all, of the dci shows in one season, it seems that we are restricted from debating anything regarding their program's respective difficulty and physicality. :worthy:

Edited by euponitone

I love both PR and Cavies and both are marching physically demanding shows.

:worthy:

I really don't see how anyone can not say that Cavaliers drill isn't demanding..

Edited by Lancerlady

Don't need for this season to be over to make this point. If you can't see the facts for what they are, don't CRY to me. I do not happen to agree with the demand marks Cavies have gotten for a long time. Execution should be where they make "hay", the degree of difficulty is inferior.

Where is the "demand" caption on the recaps? I can't seem to find it. Why does their show have to have more difficulty to be considered good? Personally, I've always been taught that when someone says, "Wow, you guys had a hard show/concert/program/etc.," they mean "It was hard and you didn't execute it." If the Cavaliers can write entertaining, effective shows and make it easier on the members, why should they be penalized for being good enough at their design process so that the members don't have to play nonstop or fly all over the field all the time?

I love both PR and Cavies and both are marching physically demanding shows.

:worthy:

This much is true... :)

However we are talking about relative demand here. Im waiting for more statistics to come out :doh:

Interesting.

First off, thank you for spending all of that time to write and map out the show. This gives us an oppurtunity to discuss this.

Secondly, my opinion is that I really never was able to tell that the Cavaliers stood still and played most of the time. Why? Because, and this is my opinion, that their visual book is written so well, year after year, that it lends itself to almost perfect moments. When you write drill, you are looking for what draws the most impact. Sometimes, standing still is needed so that the audiences attention moves to the hornline book.

Third off, it is my belief that each of the instrumental sections of the corps are becoming increasing independent. An "old skool" drum corps show usually has a few things: pit supporting hornline/battery, battery supporting hornline with grooves and unison rhythms, and a hornline book that usually doesn't stop for most the show, except for the drum feature where the percussion, mostly battery, comes out of the ensemble and actually takes the show.

What drum corps is coming to is figuring out how to use all three musical section independent of the other. This means that the hornline doesn't play all the time anymore. We see this the Cavies shows since 03, and we saw this in the Cadets 06 show. Personally, I like it. I love the hornline, but sometimes each sections timbre and tone needs to be heard too. It enriches the show, and I believe raises the musical scores, both perf. and design.

Where is the "demand" caption on the recaps? I can't seem to find it.

Every subcaption has a "top" and "bottom" box. One is supposed to grade the content of what is being done, and the other the performance of how well it is being done.

That's where you keep losing me. They do march and play a lot. But, let's look at something else. You are defining 'difficulty' as ONLY the skill of marching and playing together. If I might point out that there are a LOT of other skills and responsibilities that go into a drum corps show.

So before you let your stopwatch define difficulty, you might want to take many of those other skills into consideration.

For example: the rolling on the ground that you seem so dismissive of. No one else is even attempting something as challenging as that. As other people have pointed out, it's not just the roll, it's rolling into your drill set, it's doing it correctly so you don't injure your knees, it's rolling and then standing up and having to play right away without being winded.

We've seen gymnasts in many corps over the years, but this is the first time that I've seen them doing their stunts while having to stay IN THE DRILL! That last dude flips and lands at the point of the triangle! I think that's difficult (not that I have ever remotely tried doing that.....maybe I shouldn't have that opinion since I haven't tried it :P )

All I"m saying is that your definition of difficulty seems extremely narrow. There's a whole world of skills out there that must be evaluated.

Marching and playing simultneously, whether it is 30 seconds or 2 minutes different from others, is only one of many.

cheers.