Cavalier Show Design

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And by the same sentiment, the amount of time in motion is not as meaningful as WHAT the movement is. There's simple movement and difficult movement; without taking the "what" into account, the time by itself is not a significant indicator.

maybe in some people's book. I could care less if they played whole notes the whole show. All I want to see is them moving while doing it.

after all its Marching Band

not March and Band

Accoding to the BK website, where they can show head to head matches they met 4 times (so far) in 2007, 9 times in 06, 7 in 05, 8 in 04, 9 in 03, 19 in 02, 15 in 01. That adds up to 71. Which year is wrong?

Sorry - I thought "past seven years" meant 2000-2006. My bad. :worthy:

maybe in some people's book. I could care less if they played whole notes the whole show. All I want to see is them moving while doing it.

after all its Marching Band

not March and Band

:worthy: exactly.

anybody could go out there and do the crazy drill the cavies do if they didn't have to play while doing it.

how come you haven't done the Bluecoats analysis yet? I am very curious to see what your results would be.

quote - *points out how, once Cadets were in the crosshairs, suddenly the OPs subjectivity was questionable to some of the Cadets guys who've been agreeing with him as long as it was relating to the Cavaliers*

Yes, yes, youve got us there. However, i dont recall any of us cadet types claiming that the op's information was accurate, in fact i usually put a disclaimer in most of my firsts posts in this thread. It was only natural that I check him on the cadets show- since ive seen it a million times, i could spot the innacuracies without even watching the show. As Ironic as it is, I was willing to admit that some of the data was off once I saw it for myself. To be fair, the op is neither a cadets nor cavaliers fan, so even if the data is skewed, we can at least hope its skewed in the same direction :)

OP needs to get a life. He/she obviously dislikes the Cavaliers (as admitted by him/herself) and has a "problem" with them. Maybe I'll "break-down" the amount of time spent "narrating" in the Cadets show...no, wait..I have better things to be doing and I don't take this activity so seriously...I mean...get over yourself man.

The narration has been tallied, though it was a few weeks ago. Im guessing its now at about 2.5 minutes (some of napolean speech was cut). Guess what - with or without narration, the cadets play and march more than the cavaliers, by a good margin. If that doesnt mean anything to you fine, leave it. This thread actually ignores half the corps by focusing only on the hornline...I recognize that there are other factors that go into a drum corps show, really i do, but that's not what this thread is about is it :) . I'm still waiting for someone to go over the op's original results for the cavies....oh hell, ill do it.

IMHO, this is drum corps, not rocket science. Some people have WAY TOO MUCH time on their hands. Like Enron, you can make the same numbers look differently when used in different contexts.

I tell you what, start with this one factor and post your numbers for every corps this year:

HARD/DIFFICULTY = X

To define X we need to agree on what hard is. What's difficult for one person, may not be difficult for another. In drum corps or anything in life. I have no problem shooting 10 free throws and making 8. My wife can't make any but she can throw a rifle 10 feet in the air and catch it with little effort. I have to work out for 10 days straight to get it to 5 feet and then run away so it doesn’t hit me in the head.

Give me something to define X and I'll listen. Running while playing double G's = what in the score sheets? Until then, I'll go back to my Madison 75 recording when life and drum corps was a lot "simpler" and the tick system in place. Ya, it sucked as a judging system but at least everything was defined.

IMHO, this is drum corps, not rocket science. Some people have WAY TOO MUCH time on their hands. Like Enron, you can make the same numbers look differently when used in different contexts.

I tell you what, start with this one factor and post your numbers for every corps this year:

HARD/DIFFICULTY = X

To define X we need to agree on what hard is. What's difficult for one person, may not be difficult for another. In drum corps or anything in life. I have no problem shooting 10 free throws and making 8. My wife can't make any but she can throw a rifle 10 feet in the air and catch it with little effort. I have to work out for 10 days straight to get it to 5 feet and then run away so it doesn’t hit me in the head.

Give me something to define X and I'll listen. Running while playing double G's = what in the score sheets? Until then, I'll go back to my Madison 75 recording when life and drum corps was a lot "simpler" and the tick system in place. Ya, it sucked as a judging system but at least everything was defined.

You are very correct with the subjectivity of todays judging sheets, however, we have defined something in this thread. We can not, say it is the ONLY measure of difficulty, and we may even get into trouble for saying it is the greatest measure of difficulty, but it is a measure. By nature it can not be all-inclusive, or take all factors into account. Any math or science wiz will tell you that the only way to measure one variable is to ignore / control the others. That's what I think we have done here.

quote - *points out how, once Cadets were in the crosshairs, suddenly the OPs subjectivity was questionable to some of the Cadets guys who've been agreeing with him as long as it was relating to the Cavaliers*

Yes, yes, youve got us there. However, i dont recall any of us cadet types claiming that the op's information was accurate, in fact i usually put a disclaimer in most of my firsts posts in this thread. It was only natural that I check him on the cadets show- since ive seen it a million times, i could spot the innacuracies without even watching the show. As Ironic as it is, I was willing to admit that some of the data was off once I saw it for myself. To be fair, the op is neither a cadets nor cavaliers fan, so even if the data is skewed, we can at least hope its skewed in the same direction :)

I really just wanted to say, "delicious irony" because it rolls off the tongue so well..

:)