This year's Cadets show

I fixed the quote for you....

Sorry bud, but the only one spinning here is you. You keep bringing up this phrase as if it somehow stands on its own, seperate of the show. Not to mention the fact that you based earlier arguments on false information, and then fail to admit it, when said false information is exposed. She says, word for word, "I believe in Choice - its my life and i get to choose". Nothing to do with body, or baby, just LIFE. As in, the direction of her life.

Please tell me, how exactly would a pro-choice (in the abortion sense) message, fit into a show about the traditional values of drum corps. A show and abortions?!?!?! Sounds like killer GE to me!!! Think of all the aborting baby drill moves we could do.....umm..NO. Either the design staff was ROYALLY stupid, or maybe, just maybe, they use the concept of choice in a way that makes sense in a show about drum corps - the choice to wake up in the morning and get to the field, the choice to get over your nerves and go to that audition, the choice to go on even when its 110 and you want naptime. Not only does george beat this into the members heads over the summer, but its something i think just about anyone in drum corps can relate to.

You've got to be naive to not see that her, "I believe in Choice - its my life and i get to choose" is a pro-abortion declaration.

It is precisely the later message about "community, hard work, performance," that make the inititial pro-Choice statement seem so palatable, so tame, so un-threatening.

Edited by Brassop

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**WARNING WILL USE HARSH ADJECTIVES***

I can't believe this ######## idea make it back from the grave. There was another unworthy and ill represented thread a few weeks ago about this same topic. Either the OP and his minions are really out to ruin the planet or they're just that oblivious to the world around them. I'm really bothered that this thread has not died yet from the plain stupidity of it all. Yes I am having fun with this 'cause god help us all if these thoughts are true.

Its just some words

don't read into it, you're not that smart, neither am I, neither is Hop.

So your central points here are.... lots of people are out to get The Cadets.... Words don't mean anything..... These are just empty words that are stupid and don't mean anything at all. And nobody's smart. ...Got it.

You've got to be naive to not see that her, "I believe in Choice - its my life and i get to choose" is a pro-abortion declaration.

It is precisely the message about "community, hard work, performance," that make the inititial pro-Choice statement seem so palatable, so tame, so un-threatening.

That's not what she says

"I believe my life is a choice. No matter what the world brings, this is my life, and I intend to choose." this statement has nothing to do with abortion in my opinion.

This is a silly, but predictable debate. I disliked the narration because I found it too conservative and preachy. Funny how our biases intrude on our perceptions.

I am not going to support the Cadets in any way this year. I completely disagree with their stance on abortion, and I am going to use my wallet to show my disapproval. No big loss for them, but it's all I can do.

You Cadets "super-fans" that have been constantly posting on here need to stop drinking the koolaid and wake up.

It doesn't matter whether she says the line "it's my body and I'll decide" or not. Now, I think it is despicable if this was a lie by the OP, but it doesn't really matter if it was said or not.

The line, "I believe in Choice!", said by a young female, is going to make people instantly think "abortion" and the designers of the show know this. Don't give me that "it's in a drumcorps show about music so it can't be a political statement" baloney.

The designers are trying to "sneak in" a political statement into the show and disguise it as something else. Either this is the case, or they just made a poor choice of words... I believe it is a political statement. Why? Look at George Hopkins and the things he "believes" in. He is not exactly a "by the numbers" kind of guy, and he in fact invites contraversy. I don't know him personally, so I have to infer a lot, and so I infer that this was a deliberate move to have a political statement in the show. <**>

So well put. Thank you.

I was the original poster. And while those who want to say I lied because she says, "I believe in Choice" and "It's my life and I get to decide" and not "It's my body and I get to decide" are trying to detract from my point and those that feel the same way: that either way, she is making a political, pro-choice statement about her autonomy over her life and by inference...her body. Hopkins and his minions know exactly what message they wanted to send. When they create the drill, every dot has a purpose and is exactly where they want it. So too the words of the narration. Their message is so incongruous with drum corps and Cadets' otherwise talent and class.

Edited by Brassop

"either way she is making a political, pro-choice statement about her autonomy over her life and by inference...her body"

And this is bad????? Is that what you are complaining about?

My Last Post, just trying to fathom this being a bad thing.

I am not getting into this thread, just making one post and one post only.

:ahem:

CHILL OUT

Cn it be hugz tyme now pleez?

I agree that it sounds like you're probably not getting much out of this thread and it might be better for you to find another thread that might interest you. I do know DCP usually has new daily future placement and scoring prediction threads most days. That seems to interest lots of folks. You could try one of those to see if they interest you in making predictions and what not.

Edited by X DM

It's a shame and a pity when people can't stay on topic, and instead go into " conspiracy theories " accusations and people " drinking anti- Cadet kool-aid " and such nonsensical responses. Start your own thread on your own perceptions that apparently lots of people in your belief are out to get the Cadets or whatever. Lets try and keep this thread discourse civil, even when we might disagree. That would be a good start for you in particular.

In my original post and afterwards, I let it be known how I respect the Cadets. Apart from last year, and this year, I have always liked Cadets. I was blown away sitting there Saturday at their incredible horn line! I've always loved the nostalgia of the same cadet style uniform that they've worn forever. I do not hate the Cadets. Any attempts by those you refer to to twist my original post into a Cadet hater monologue are just innacurate.

The posts that essentially say, "It's just music and drum corps. They are only words. Lighten up" prove my point. Evidently the Cadets have come to believe so highly of their impact, beyond mere music (which is the simplicity you hope to encounter from a corps' show), as to infuse a political stance into drum corps. Where as it ought to be - as it has always been - drum corps as music and pageantry, the self-absorbed Cadets' leadership wants to push the envelope to it being drum corps as message. Why simply entertain a crowd over 12 minutes when you can subtlely impact their worldview by reinforcing a political bent. The arts have always been used toward this end.

Edited by Brassop