This year's Cadets show

Some reactions to this years' Cadets' show:

The narration is constant (did they not learn from last year?), obnoxious and presumptuous; within the first minute the female narrator proclaims her support of "Choice" (read: pro-abortion) several times, emphasizing her right to do with her body what she wants. The show ends with a related proclamation: "I support N.O.W." (National Organization for Women - a liberal pro-abortion group). On one hand, you had this fabulous hornline throwing it down - only to be upstaged by distracting narration seemingly bent on promoting a liberal agenda. It was inappropriate to the activity and out-of-place. I half-expected to see a N.A.R.A.L.(National Abortion Rights Action League) sign-up sheet at the Cadets' souvie booth. Also, their drill looked simple and non-demanding relative to the other top-5.

Conversely, Bluecoats do a good job with use of narration in their Crime production. The microphone is limited in its use, yet, it compliments the production. If Cadets did that show I'd expect a barrage of heavy handed sermonizing on the awful affects of crime on society or the case for limiting the death penalty.

:lol::lol::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So well put. Thank you.

I was the original poster. And while those who want to say I lied because she says, "I believe in Choice" and "It's my life and I get to decide" and not "It's my body and I get to decide" are trying to detract from my point and those that feel the same way: that either way, she is making a political, pro-choice statement about her autonomy over her life and by inference...her body. Hopkins and his minions know exactly what message they wanted to send. When they create the drill, every dot has a purpose and is exactly where they want it. So too the words of the narration. Their message is so incongruous with drum corps and Cadets' otherwise talent and class.

:feednotroll:

The fairer question to ask might be " did this female Cadet get " to choose " these words in her narration ? It is afterall, " her life " we are told, and we presume that " only she gets to choose ". My guess however, is that someone other than her got to choose her for the narration and they also " choose " for her the words for " her " narration. My guess, it was THEIR " choice ", not " her choice " initially at all. But we are getting sidetracked here on the original thead posters cogent remarks and observations regarding this " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE!! voice segment The Cadets staff has incorporated into the show.

The cadets in question specifically auditioned for these parts and knew exactly what they were getting into. I have a feeling that the fact the it is a girl saying this line is completely random. She happens to be in the top 5 or so when it comes to most reliable / responsible members of the hornline, which is why she got the part. For example, while some of the wording may be made up, the famous napolean story is also true - not something forced on him

So well put. Thank you.

I was the original poster. And while those who want to say I lied because she says, "I believe in Choice" and "It's my life and I get to decide" and not "It's my body and I get to decide" are trying to detract from my point and those that feel the same way: that either way, she is making a political, pro-choice statement about her autonomy over her life and by inference...her body. Hopkins and his minions know exactly what message they wanted to send. When they create the drill, every dot has a purpose and is exactly where they want it. So too the words of the narration. Their message is so incongruous with drum corps and Cadets' otherwise talent and class.

Well now wait a minute. I've been very amused by this thread and having a good time watching the back and forth without getting into it. But this statement confuses me. And I'm not taking sides here, just trying to understand this new twist in the argument. You say that every dot, every word has a meaning and purpose and is exactly how they intended it. Okay. But then you say the actual words she says are irrelevant to the meaning that you say they are trying to get across. If their words (and dots) are so meticulously chosen (no pun intended!!!), then how can you say that the verbatum words spoken aren't enough to interpret the meaning coming across? In essence, you're saying that they purposely chose specific words to send a hidden message instead of just saying the thing outright that you think they mean. Am I mis-reading your comments here ....?

I love drum corps... Your thoughts?

But, is that your CHOICE?

Because if it is...never utter those words in public...or worse..into a microphone in public. And especially...if you are a female. I know you are not, but be careful. Some would believe we have no rights to voice our beliefs in public.

Shhhh...it's all a big secret and Michael Moore is really behind it all. He's a major contributor to the Cadets. Shhhh. It's supposed to be a secret.

Does this mean someone is going to alert the pro-life peeps and The National Right To Life folks will be out protesting future Cadets shows?

Please say yes, as this would be the best season ever if that happened. :P

I'd invite them all on the field if they could learn the drill. Oops I forgot, the 150 rule is for next year.

Shhh. Michael Moore is secretly funding the Cadets. Shhh...don't tell anyone.

Well now wait a minute. I've been very amused by this thread and having a good time watching the back and forth without getting into it. But this statement confuses me. And I'm not taking sides here, just trying to understand this new twist in the argument. You say that every dot, every word has a meaning and purpose and is exactly how they intended it. Okay. But then you say the actual words she says are irrelevant to the meaning that you say they are trying to get across. If their words (and dots) are so meticulously chosen (no pun intended!!!), then how can you say that the verbatum words spoken aren't enough to interpret the meaning coming across? In essence, you're saying that they purposely chose specific words to send a hidden message instead of just saying the thing outright that you think they mean. Am I mis-reading your comments here ....?

Apparently, the words are all important, but the fact that they based their arguments off of the wrong words are no big deal. And dont forget the op, where he laments the line "I support N.O.W." Another line that does not exist. Anyone who has ever marched in the cadets could tell you exactly what george hopkins means when he talks about choice. Its unfortunate that people choose to get the wrong message, but after, that's their perogative. I have personally been to 4 shows, and a dozen rehearsals this year, with people that love and hate the cadets, and this issue has NEVER come up anywhere around me. I did send hop the link to the op, he hasnt gotten back to me yet, perhaps he's to busy running his drum corps or something to worry about 2 guys online with subliminal message theories....

I want to be clear about this...Dr. Sanjay Gupta reported this morning that the Cadets are indeed part of a vast conspiracy led by none other than Michael Moore.

At their next show, expect the words, "I believe in universal health care for everyone regardless of their ability to pay."

And...while we are on the topic...have you ever seen George Hopkins and Michael Moore together....EVER?

And the plot thickens.....

The cadets in question specifically auditioned for these parts and knew exactly what they were getting into. I have a feeling that the fact the it is a girl saying this line is completely random. She happens to be in the top 5 or so when it comes to most reliable / responsible members of the hornline, which is why she got the part. For example, while some of the wording may be made up, the famous napolean story is also true - not something forced on him

I'm pretty sure that her legs are incapable of bending as well.

Freak of nature I tell you! :P

I want to be clear about this...Dr. Sanjay Gupta reported this morning that the Cadets are indeed part of a vast conspiracy led by none other than Michael Moore.

At their next show, expect the words, "I believe in universal health care for everyone regardless of their ability to pay."

And...while we are on the topic...have you ever seen George Hopkins and Michael Moore together....EVER?

And the plot thickens.....

So....i was grabbing a quick shower one night after a rehearsal day. Most of the corps was out, grabbing food or already asleep, so i was alone in the locker room. George Hopkins walks in, looks around, and makes his way to a bathroom stall. About 5 minutes, and several strange noises later, Michael Moore walks out wearing the same clothes...

weird huh? :lol: