This year's Cadets show

I find this post offensive. You are analyzing this show way too deeply. So it is not okay for a woman to say "I Believe in Choice" because immediately she is talking about her right to choose? I don't think so.

That's correct. When a women tells you " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE!! , she is telling you that sh believes in a women's right to choose. It is a very personal and also a very political satatment of " belief ":. This is the conventional interpretation that most people would assign to that statement that a female makes. My wife agrees, and tells me that 95% of the time, this is what a women is referring to when she says emphatically to you " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!

Now, if a women tells you " I BELIEVE IN CHOICES ( plural ) instead of " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, then in most settings there is no no correlation at all to " her right to choose ". The Cadet female however does not say to the audience " I BELIEVE IN CHOICES !! And this is where trouble and divisiveness arises with audiences that are perceptive and paying attention to the spoken words in the show that by design we are drawn too.

Edited by X DM

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your WIFE does NOT speak for all women. She cannot make an absolute statement like that with no facts. I could ask my mom the same thing and I guarantee you that she would say something totally different. And on that note.....

I believe in my choice to go to bed and leave this rediculous thread.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Except that is NOT WHAT SHE SAYS.

Perhaps if they say it enough, hopkins will decide to add it in to the show. Im beginning to think they're just writing this for our reactions anyway. Frankly im getting bored - posts based on lies arent all that interesting. <**>

Perhaps if they say it enough, hopkins will decide to add it in to the show. Im beginning to think they're just writing this for our reactions anyway. Frankly im getting bored - posts based on lies arent all that interesting. <**>

I might send Larissa an email and yell at her for forcing abortion on DCI!

Your WIFE does NOT speak for all women. She cannot make an absolute statement like that with no facts. I could ask my mom the same thing and I guarantee you that she would say something totally different. And on that note.....

I believe in my choice to go to bed and leave this rediculous thread.

If you are telling me that if your Mom says to you " I BELEIVE WITH ALL MY HEART IN CHOICE !!, and you think she means she wants her daughter or granddaughter to have the right of choice of careers or choice of wallpaper or choice of lasagna sauce, or choice of bedtimes for you, then you are kidding yourself, not me.

Plus, the female cadet is not your mother. She's under 22 years of age. When a 22 year old female tell you " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, you can believe she's talking about college choices, future careers, or whatever, but she's not talking about these CHOICES available to her at all. Lets be honest and be real here. We know exactly what a 22 female is talking about when she says the word ( singular ) " CHOICE " that she believes in. If you try and spin it as she means career choices, boyfriend choices or whatnot you are engaging in spin and denial. When the female says emphatically to you " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, don't embarrsss yourself and ask her if she's referring to anything else but her right to choose. She's not talking about her preferred choices for shoes for different occasions ,my friend.

Edited by X DM

Except that is NOT WHAT SHE SAYS.

Yes it is. I was there last night and heard it and turned to the person next to me whose jaw had also dropped. She says at one point very early on, "I believe in Choice" and " It is my body and I'll decide".

This is a DRUM CORPS SHOW not a case of Roe vs. Wade. I think you are reading too much into this. There are no other instances in this show that have a reference to a woman's right to choose. I don't see anything in the show that conveys that message. This is unbelievable.

Maybe they are talking about the guy in the corps now who we used to call "fetus" but other than that, there is nothing that makes a reference to a woman's right to choose.

Yes there is. Her exact words early on are, "I believe in Choice" and "It's my body and I'll decide". These are clear references to abortion and innappropriate positions to be furthered on a drum corps field.

Huh? I thought she said "it's my life and I get to decide". Either way, George Hopkins is no dummy. I'd wager he knows his shows and the spoken lines will trigger discussion. We're talking about it, aren't we?

The female Cadet did not say loudly into her microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of music careers " or that " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of having control of my life " , nor " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of insano drill moves " or blah blah. Note that it was not a male cadet that spoke in this segment as in other narration sequences. If nothing else, the segment " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE " is a " bad choice " for the Cadets, because at the very least it is confusing, and at worst divisive. Look, as you can see I was not the original thread creator here, but there are quite a few of us that find the " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !! segment offensive. Frankly, when a female cadet is substituted for a male voice in this voice segment and the female says into the microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, it is asking a lot of the audience to interptet this CHOICE that she is referring to as a CHOICE of careers. But you can ask us to interpret this as such, but it is my "choice" ( and others ) to know what a female means 95% of the time when she tells us " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, and then stops her proclamation right there and stops the sentence. Finally, the female cadet does not say " I BELIEVE IN CHOICES !! ( plural ). That " speaks " volumes to perceptive audience members . Had the female Cadet said " I BELIEVE IN CHOICES " then people like me cut The Cadets some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt. But the " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !! political statement in the show by The Cadets ( or ANY Corps ) is very unneccessary, very unfortunate, and a very divisive remark within the drum corps community.

your argument is really pretty weak, IMO... i mean- we're not talking about anything remotely CLOSE to conclusive evidence that "I believe in choice" has anything to do with abortion or a liberal agenda, etc... you have speculation and a couple of very loose theories and some ideas of statements that could be less confusing...

this would be like me saying:

'the guy talking in their closer who says "when i was in high school... i knew there was something different about me...." was a homosexual because he said he was different... and he could have said something else about how and why he enjoyed playing the trumpet but the way he said he felt different and the context clues proove that he is gay... "

actually... i dare say i just made a better argument just in my attempt to be silly... (though i'm not implying that i really do think that guy is gay)

The female Cadet did not say loudly into her microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of music careers " or that " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of having control of my life " , nor " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of insano drill moves " or blah blah. Note that it was not a male cadet that spoke in this segment as in other narration sequences. If nothing else, the segment " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE " is a " bad choice " for the Cadets, because at the very least it is confusing, and at worst divisive. Look, as you can see I was not the original thread creator here, but there are quite a few of us that find the " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !! segment offensive. Frankly, when a female cadet is substituted for a male voice in this voice segment and the female says into the microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, it is asking a lot of the audience to interptet this CHOICE that she is referring to as a CHOICE of careers. But you can ask us to interpret this as such, but it is my "choice" ( and others ) to know what a female means 95% of the time when she tells us " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, and then stops her proclamation right there and stops the sentence. Finally, the female cadet does not say " I BELIEVE IN CHOICES !! ( plural ). That " speaks " volumes to perceptive audience members . Had the female Cadet said " I BELIEVE IN CHOICES " then people like me cut The Cadets some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt. But the " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !! political statement in the show by The Cadets ( or ANY Corps ) is very unneccessary, very unfortunate, and a very divisive remark within the drum corps community.

Wow!