Pioneer scores

Hello Mr. Drillwatcher!

It is amazing that you sponsor a member of the corps that you so detest! It is amazing that you take an opinion of a young member (isn’t that what is being said, “Pioneer members are young) and holding it up in front of the entire DCP community as being the gospel truth.

The belittling of our staff is ridiculous. We have Larry Kerchner, one of the finest drum corps composer/arrangers in the country who wrote a superb show for us. That is acknowledged by the positive comments from the many audiences that the corps has performed in front of. Yes, we do value the opinion of audiences and their responses. We have Donny Allen, who has done so much both musically and motivationally for our hornline in the short time that he has been with us. We have Stuart Spoon and Tyler Orbison leading the percussion line. Both have been offered positions with other corps that you would consider as being Division 1 status, and have turned them down because they believe in the Pioneer philosophy. We have Chris Kichline leading the guard. He is an outstanding instructor who comes to us with a wealth of experience. We are extremely proud of our teaching staff and to say that they are any less than Division 1 status is both ridiculous and irresponsible. Saying that the staff is immune to the judges’ suggestions is again not true. They have taken much into consideration, and as with any corps have made positive changes throughout the season.

As to the qualifications of our members, yes we do have some younger members, but we have college music majors as well. It is a healthy situation where everyone benefits from each other. The corps is for its members and not vice-versa! The satisfaction for our members comes from performing a high energy and entertaining show to the best of their abilities. We stress that over numbers or rankings. So are our members qualified to march in a Division 1 Corps? Many other corps think so when asking our members to audition for their corps! I can confidently say, “Yes, they are very qualified!” They are qualified because of their great work ethic. They are qualified because of our excellent instructors who draw out of them their innate abilities to perform at the very best level that they are capable of. They are qualified because of their “Better Every Day” way of life!

No matter what numerical results that we are placed in, Pioneer will always work beyond the potential that they think they are capable of. This is because of the fact that they are being taught by such a talented, dedicated and credible instructional staff.

Mr. Drillwatcher,

I do not know the reason behind your constant ridicule of our corps that has been more than evident in your several posts. If you really desire to do something positive for the young people of the Pioneer, please contact us directly with your ideas and suggestions. That would show a definite leadership by example on your part, as well as being a role model to whomever you might sponsor, in the Pioneer or in any other corps!

WOW...did you know that DCP comes equipped with a PM tool? Did you consider using it before making a public arse out of yourself?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And continuing to blame the judges for "not liking my corps" is getting old.

1. You sign up for DCI. No one forces you to do it.

2. DCI has had judges since its inception.

3. Judges are part of the game.

4. If you don't like the game, take your ball and go home.

5. Or work harder within the current system or harder to improve or change the system.

It's the same in all sports/judged activities. When we languish, instead of doing what we ask these young men and women to do...and trust me...they are asked...NOT to look outside for excuses, but to look inside each one of them to find what more they can bring to the table to help the corps improve.

No one...I don't care about scores or not...no one has ever performed a PERFECT drum corps show. So, each and every member has to reach INSIDE and ask what else they can do to help improve for tonight...for tomorrow.

Now, if the corps is asking the members to do that, it just goes to figure the rest of the organization would be doing the same.

So, STOP trying to attack the judges...someone posting on DCP, etc. If you've got time to do that, then you have time to help make the horn book better, the members perform it better, the drill better, etc. It's about getting better...right?

I have been PMd by several people this season who claim to be staff of one corps or another. If they were on my staff...I'd fine them for every post I saw on DCP. If you think you have time during a drum corps season to post on DCP...then you are wrong. Get back to work helping those members (who pay your salary, btw) to get better. Focus on YOUR job.

Horns down!

WOW...did you know that DCP comes equipped with a PM tool? Did you consider using it before making a public arse out of yourself?

:bleah:

Seemed to me like a very well thought out, rational and valid response from someone who is obviously closely affiliated with the corps. I think it's perfectly appropriate to respond in such a manner when called out in a public forum.

:bleah:

Seemed to me like a very well thought out, rational and valid response from someone who is obviously closely affiliated with the corps. I think it's perfectly appropriate to respond in such a manner when called out in a public forum.

Yeah...probably you are correct....sometimes I overreact.

Look...the point is that Pioneer is different than many corps....if not that they have simply found a formula to fight and survive every year. They are at all these shows...they come out and perform their rears off at all these shows. I don't believe for one moment they do it for what the judges might think. Sure, it's good to get feedback sometimes from someone who's supposedly an expert. But, I believe some corps out there still trust the fans' opinions.

Yes, Pioneer is young. Other corps are young. I believe....and Murray or Roman will correct me if I'm wrong...they run in the BLACK every year. The kids do learn and some go onto other corps. I knd of hope more would stay with Pioneer. It could make things even more interesting for the corps that keeps getting better every day.

I'm closing this thread temporarily to remove questionable content.

Toby

And reopened.

Man, who pooped in your cheerios this morning?

I know....kind of harsh huh?

I get upset by folks who start down the road of blaming the judges.

I met Phil Jackson once at a convention. My job was to make sure he got from his car...to the venue and then back to his car. I listened to him speak about his job coaching the Bulls. He talked about Michael...Scotty...the champpionships.

Someone asked him about his attitude toward referees. Whether the refs gave the Bulls more favorable or unfavorable calls. I think the person asking the question was focused on the whole notion that MJ got more good calls than bad against him.

Phil said...if the outcome of a game comes down to a questionable call from a referee...then we didn't do...I didn't do a good enough job preparing ourselves for the game. The referees should not be in a position to determine a game's outcome.

I was lucky enough to ge this autograph. And I got to take him back to his car parked underneath the McCormick Center. He's a really big guy.

Horns Down!

I know....kind of harsh huh?

I get upset by folks who start down the road of blaming the judges.

I was just surprised because I didn't see PIONEER DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS say anything about the judges. I'm with you wholeheartedly on that, but I thought you were directing all of your comments at PIONEER DRUM AND BUGLE CORP's post. Sorry if that was an invalid assumption.

I agree with Tom here. I think the best idea comes from Pierluigi Collina, who is often revered as the best soccer referee to have ever stepped foot on a pitch.

"Yes, I have my favorite teams, but when I step out on a field, I'm a professional being selected to perform a duty. I don't let any bias get in the way of my performance and decision-making."

Are there judges that maybe don't do their job correctly? Of course. It happens in soccer, hockey, football, basketball, baseball, cricket... But do you really think there are enough judges that are biased to hold a corps down for as long as they've been? I really doubt it.

With that being said, I love watching Pioneer. They're a blast to watch and listen to, and the pride and spirit is evident whenever they march off the field playing Gary Owen. Whatever their scores may be, whereever they place, there are still plenty of people who enjoy the dedication and energy they spend putting another show on the fields for us as audience members to enjoy.

Hello Mr. Drillwatcher!

It is amazing that you sponsor a member of the corps that you so detest! It is amazing that you take an opinion of a young member (isn’t that what is being said, “Pioneer members are young) and holding it up in front of the entire DCP community as being the gospel truth.

The belittling of our staff is ridiculous. We have Larry Kerchner, one of the finest drum corps composer/arrangers in the country who wrote a superb show for us. That is acknowledged by the positive comments from the many audiences that the corps has performed in front of. Yes, we do value the opinion of audiences and their responses. We have Donny Allen, who has done so much both musically and motivationally for our hornline in the short time that he has been with us. We have Stuart Spoon and Tyler Orbison leading the percussion line. Both have been offered positions with other corps that you would consider as being Division 1 status, and have turned them down because they believe in the Pioneer philosophy. We have Chris Kichline leading the guard. He is an outstanding instructor who comes to us with a wealth of experience. We are extremely proud of our teaching staff and to say that they are any less than Division 1 status is both ridiculous and irresponsible. Saying that the staff is immune to the judges’ suggestions is again not true. They have taken much into consideration, and as with any corps have made positive changes throughout the season.

As to the qualifications of our members, yes we do have some younger members, but we have college music majors as well. It is a healthy situation where everyone benefits from each other. The corps is for its members and not vice-versa! The satisfaction for our members comes from performing a high energy and entertaining show to the best of their abilities. We stress that over numbers or rankings. So are our members qualified to march in a Division 1 Corps? Many other corps think so when asking our members to audition for their corps! I can confidently say, “Yes, they are very qualified!” They are qualified because of their great work ethic. They are qualified because of our excellent instructors who draw out of them their innate abilities to perform at the very best level that they are capable of. They are qualified because of their “Better Every Day” way of life!

No matter what numerical results that we are placed in, Pioneer will always work beyond the potential that they think they are capable of. This is because of the fact that they are being taught by such a talented, dedicated and credible instructional staff.

Mr. Drillwatcher,

I do not know the reason behind your constant ridicule of our corps that has been more than evident in your several posts. If you really desire to do something positive for the young people of the Pioneer, please contact us directly with your ideas and suggestions. That would show a definite leadership by example on your part, as well as being a role model to whomever you might sponsor, in the Pioneer or in any other corps!

I am giving my opinion and that of some members. I do not hold it up as the gospal truth. I sponsor members of corps. I do not tell them where to march. Maybe I will take your advice in the future and not offer sponsorship to people wanting to march Pioneer.

I never said anything negative about the members, in fact I applaud thier efforts. I do not think the staffs abilities are as much in question as the restrictions they work under and the show that they have to perform. (before you go off read some of Donny Allen's earlier posts). I have been a long time supporter of the corps but have seen some things that I think do not allow it to place it's best foot forward (you may want to check earlier posts that I defended the corps in). Mr. Brace makes some excellent points in his comments. By the way the thread which I only commented on, not started is about Pioneer scores. Perhaps if the system does not work for you you should follow the Star example and persue an alternative venue.