A Canadian Memory

Reading through some of these historical posts I can recall some corps that we saw.

Dutchboy Cadets were this small corps that wore shorts

Ventures were this little all-girls corps, who would've thought that these two corps would rise in the ranks like they did.

Flying Dutchmen....I always liked this corps. I remember a contra player who was bald.

Seneca Princemen..."Smoke On The Water" brought the corps onto the field.

Etobicoke Crusaders...I saw them at US Open in 1972. I can't recall if I saw them in 73 and 74.

Midlanders....this corps was pretty good from what I remember in the early 70's but never went anywhere. We competed in a show in London, Ontario in 1976 and did rather well, almost took high horns from Flying Dutchmen.

Precious Blood Cardinals...my favorite "A" class Canadian corps! We had a good rapport with them. Didn't they do some indian dance?

Opti-Lancers...did they do theme from "Masterpiece Theatre?" Or was it Opti-Knights? I remember the uniforms were white, green and maybe orange(?).

Krescendos...they beat us good in July of 1976 (yellow/gold uni's?) and we came from nowhere to beat them at the NT Open. Did we beat them at the London show?

Durham Girls...they did a few parades in the western NY area in 75 (I think) and we hung around with them.

Rose City Guardsmen...this Windsor corps reall started improving in the mid 70's and I thought that they would jump to the next leve but alas, never did.

Seneca/Toronto Optimist, DeLasalle Oakland/Crusaders....what can be said? They were the best that Canada had back then.

I remember hearing "One Fine Morning" from the Guelph Royalaires and loved that corps.

Anymore I missed?

Yes Keith - you missed St. John's Girls, who are I believe, one of the few corps still left in Ontario (although they are now co-ed). I marched those years of 1965 to 1972 and have some very fond memories of all the corps you mentioned -- lots of friendships that still exist.

Yes Keith - you missed St. John's Girls, who are I believe, one of the few corps still left in Ontario (although they are now co-ed). I marched those years of 1965 to 1972 and have some very fond memories of all the corps you mentioned -- lots of friendships that still exist.

OH MAN!!!! I am so sorry, I talk about them all the time when remembering the US Open. The timpani players skipping off the field.

To much coffee this morning. Sorry

OH MAN!!!! I am so sorry, I talk about them all the time when remembering the US Open. The timpani players skipping off the field.

There were a number of Corps from the Ottawa Valley that were big in the late 60's and early '70's. A few come to mind.

Carleton Place Marching Saints - placed 2nd at 1969 Word Open in Class A divison and '67 provincial champs.

Smith Falls Lamplighters - great Corps

Arnprior Lions Hi-Risers - briefly Open Class corps. -

Almonte Revelliers - small but important corps - originally the Golden Trumpeters - where I made my start in DC at age 10.

and from Ottawa - Lasalle cadets - 1973 Canadian National co-champs with Del and 8th place finish at DCI East in 1973.

Les Compagnons from Embrum Ontario - Marching Saints main rival in Valley area

and some more I'm sure

Rob Gibson :blink:

Edited by Lasallemello73

There were a number of Corps from the Ottawa Valley that were big in the late 60's and early '70's. A few come to mind.

Carleton Place Marching Saints - placed 2nd at 1969 Word Open in Class A divison and '67 provincial champs.

Almonte Revelliers - small but important corps - originally the Golden Trumpeters - where I made my start in DC at age 10.

and from Ottawa - Lasalle cadets - 1973 Canadian National co-champs with Del and 8th place finish at DCI East in 1973.

and some more I'm sure

Rob Gibson :blink:

Yep missed Lasalle and Les Compagnon who we always met at the Oswego show, nice corps!

I have some Canadian memories...

John, remember Edmonton? Remember you guys practicing until dark while we partied our a##es off?

Remember the local kids riding away with shopping carts full of beer bottles...for the deposit?

Remember right after you all were done and we...um, wait...um, never mind B)

Wow, these would've all been from near where I live now (southeastern Ontario). I've been to Smiths Falls, Almonte and Ottawa many times, and we drive past Arnprior every time we visit Rick's family in North Bay. The only place that doesn't ring a bell is Embrun, which is an unincorporated community near Prescott, and Prescott is about a 20-minute drive from us. Interesting!

Edited by byline

Wow, these would've all been from near where I live now (southeastern Ontario). I've been to Smiths Falls, Almonte and Ottawa many times, and we drive past Arnprior every time we visit Rick's family in North Bay. The only place that doesn't ring a bell is Embrun, which is an unincorporated community near Prescott, and Prescott is about a 20-minute drive from us. Interesting!

One of my friends, Chris Pye(Marching Saints, Lasalle Cadets), marched with Crusaders in the mid-70's. He was a bari player, I think. Also Monty Kirkpatrick (Marching Saints, Lasalle Cadets) was involved with Dutch Boy around that time. Maybe someone remembers them. Marching Saints and Arnprior Hi-Risers contributed a lot of good players to Lasalle Cadets (Bill Cross, Terry and Monty Kirkpatrick, Chris Pye,half the mellophone line, about 6 percussionists, at least one guard member). In Ottawa there is a group trying to rebuild an All Age Corps called Capital Ensemble. They have a website at www.capital-ensemble.org. Also Lasalle Cadets has a tribute website. There is a brass ensemble called Spirit of '69 based in Arnprior which does parades and other performances (corps-style), with a web site.

Edited by Lasallemello73

So funny that you remember the skipping tymps! My sister-in-law was one of them and the next year had to skip with a snare drum. :doh:

Kelly

St. Chatherines Chessmen