DCP's place in the drum corps activity

DCP: where should it go from ehre?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How should DCP be moderated?

• less freedom; more accountability.
    • more freedom; no holds barred.
    • things are okay now, keep as is.
  2. 2. What about a forum where you are held accountable (real name, tighter moderation)

• Yes, create a forum where you can do this. We can bring in more people, increase level of conversation, etc.
    • No, bad idea. Anonymity is better in some cases, some people are more comfortable that way.
    • Eh. I don't care.
  3. 3. Would having more moderated guest Q&A's with drum corps personalities be beneficial?

• Yes, I'd love to pick Sylvester, Hops, Gibbs, etc brain.
    • No, bad move. No need to bother.
    • Don't need it, doesn't matter.

I agree with Nikk on the seperate (pay) forum thing.

If you give someone something for free -- they tend to treat it like it's free -- aka -- has no value.

If you put a price on it, they tend to treat it like it has value.

I would gladly pay to participate in a saner forum like he describes. I'm sure we'd have issues with some folks there too, but I have to believe it would be on a much more manageable level. And I'd still like to pop over to this side for some good0ole-fashioned throw-downs and non-sequitors, as well.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone point out a long-term member of DCP who is respected and who has managed to remain anonymous?

am I long term or respected? are you saying that us anonymous can not be respected?

There is a reason I never got a call to work with Regiment...it was my posting history, and the fool I made of myself over my early years on RAMD, in addition to my poor attitude when I was younger. It took me a long time to understand how important our names are, but you know...I am sadder and wiser because of it,

maybe you should put that in you sig, might help some others

And please, don’t take this the wrong way, it’s not a slam but you recently made me cringe with some of your posts to the point where I was ‘why doesn’t he just stop it’ which shows the subjective nature calling someone’s posting immature because I would say that you failed to make the cut there (but I do think you are a great poster, a good writer and a must read as opposed to a scroll by) - if you want specifics on the posts in question, PM me

I can think of another poster that has taken a ton of heat that others my deem unworthy but I think is preety good...so whos' to say?

I agree with Nikk on the seperate (pay) forum thing.

If you give someone something for free -- they tend to treat it like it's free -- aka -- has no value.

If you put a price on it, they tend to treat it like it has value.

I would gladly pay to participate in a saner forum like he describes. I'm sure we'd have issues with some folks there too, but I have to believe it would be on a much more manageable level. And I'd still like to pop over to this side for some good0ole-fashioned throw-downs and non-sequitors, as well.

Exactly.

Cowtown, I am not calling for the abolition of DCP. It would continue to exist exactly AS IS.

However, I wouldn't mind a separate forum where things could be more mature. I am sorry that you would not join such a forum, but...others would. And perhaps we could get enough intelligent and respectful debate to actually lure back Hoppy, Fiedler, and the other names in our activity that we know READ DCP...but don't post because of the way things are now.

I mean...how great would it be to have Mike Gaines talk about his design process during the offseason, when he has a free moment to breathe? If he were to try that now on the board, you'd have anonymous jokers insulting and belittling his work...what incentive does he have to write anything? What about Key Poulan, Wayne Downey, and J.D. Shaw and their schools of thought on arranging? Mitch Rogers on the upgrading of the Bluecoats visual program the last several years? Paul Rennick on PR's percussion surge? Etc.

I do not blame these guys for not wanting to get involved now....George is right. People see this place as a joke instead of somewhere people can debate intelligently. No matter how many examples are set, someone out there is always just a jerk and will ruin the conversation.

If this board is to be a more mature form of DCP, perhaps we could call it DCH: Drum Corps Heaven. :P Or we could stick to Drum Corps Universe to not offend anyone. ^0^

am I long term or respected? are you saying that us anonymous can not be respected?

maybe you should put that in you sig, might help some others

And please, don’t take this the wrong way, it’s not a slam but you recently made me cringe with some of your posts to the point where I was ‘why doesn’t he just stop it’ which shows the subjective nature calling someone’s posting immature because I would say that you failed to make the cut there (but I do think you are a great poster, a good writer and a must read as opposed to a scroll by) - if you want specifics on the posts in question, PM me

I can think of another poster that has taken a ton of heat that others my deem unworthy but I think is preety good...so whos' to say?

Heh...I can guess that it was the back-and-forth banter with Tekk on the Cadets thread. :doh: I was pretty disappointed with that, myself.

As for are you long term or respected....I honestly don't know. It wasn't until this summer that I noticed your posts, so...I cannot say. Certainly, you carry yourself well, and you write well...I have not seen you engaged in attacks of anyone, so...you would definitely be on your way to being respected, by me anyhow. I am not claiming that an anonymous poster cannot be respected...I was simply asking for examples. I think it might be twice as difficult to be respected if you go by that route, but...again....who am I to say? This is all just my opinion.

I think one thing to take into notice, is we all seem to be pretty comfortable with everyone. and sometimes, we feel comfortable with one party, but on the other end... shall we say... not so much <$1 to Jami> and we take that for granted. We tend to think that everyone is going to be ok with what you say, becuase you feel comfortable. and some people will actually take offense to it. I dunno what I'm saying here. any of you understand what I'm getting at?

:doh:

I think one thing to take into notice, is we all seem to be pretty comfortable with everyone. and sometimes, we feel comfortable with one party, but on the other end... shall we say... not so much <$1 to Jami> and we take that for granted. We tend to think that everyone is going to be ok with what you say, becuase you feel comfortable. and some people will actually take offense to it. I dunno what I'm saying here. any of you understand what I'm getting at?

:doh:

I hear ya.

But this is where mature people would hopefully say -in a respectful manner- that they are uncomfortable. And the other person would -hopefully- be respectful of that person's feelings.

Respectfully submitted. :)

:)

So, there used to be a way you could donate to to fund DCP, way back when...what if we made a five buck flat fee for a new forum and had a set moderator.

Once you pay, you get a password to get in, and there are predetermined topics of a sort...whereas DCP regular would have a static Q&A (submit questions to mod, mod submits to person to answer) a la the old "Livewire", paid members could actually have "real time" forum interaction with those people during those times.

Think of it as DCP "Season Pass".

Yes? No?

Edited by bawker

The issue of a given person's immature statements should be handled by the group at large.

If a person is stating something out of line, just don't respond to them.

The thread will die a natural and deserved death.

The strength is in the group!

Stay the course, responsible adults!

The issue of a given person's immature statements should be handled by the group at large.

If a person is stating something out of line, just don't respond to them.

The thread will die a natural and deserved death.

The strength is in the group!

Stay the course, responsible adults!

I wish it were that simple.

I really do.