Looking for "On the Starting Line"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1wkv6UUmdZE

Check it out! Uniforms...not costumes... :lookaround:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Brings back lots of great childhood memories. That 50 yard line AK colorguard move was one of my favorites of the corps. Simple moves done very effectively and with great precision.

Nancy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And I know if people get out...that they would really like this sort of thing"

Quoted for truth.

So, um...who won the competition?

Edited by dccorpsfan

In the early 70s there was a recruiting film made which was widely available.

It was the story of a Vanguard rookie, a mellophone player, I believe.

It had Blue Stars' South Rampart Street Parade as the travel music (where in later years "On the Road Again" would be). I remember a clip of Anaheim Kingsmen's drum solo, and of course, SCV excerpts that followed the story line.

At the very end was Stan Kenton's voice clip which ended with "... and the rest."

I recall that it started with a little McCormick's animated horn/bass drummer guy.

Does anyone know if this is still available anywhere in any format?

Thank you.

Wow, I was just thinking of that film the other day! weird, huh? That film was the reason I got started in Drum Corps in the first place. Wausau Story had a recruiting meeting for kids and parents and they showed that film as part of the presentation. After seeing it, I was hooked!

"And I know if people get out...that they would really like this sort of thing"

Quoted for truth.

So, um...who won the competition?

Guess! :sshh: ... B)

Oh oh oh oh, I know!!!!! b**bs

Woooo! Go Santa Clara!

And hey, Mike...where were YOU in this picture? B)

Guess! :sshh: ... B)

Hey Maggie,

Did I see you pretty face getting on the bus and several other times in the camera. Wooo Hooo.

Was that soprano player Tony and Pete Romo's brother ?

I thought I caught a glimpse of Mr. Braga as the corps was lining up on the field to compete... that long haired hippie boy I know and love !!!!

I really worshiped you guys back then !!!!!!

Hey Maggie,

Did I see you pretty face getting on the bus and several other times in the camera. Wooo Hooo.

I thought I caught a glimpse of Mr. Braga as the corps was lining up on the field to compete... that long haired hippie boy I know and love !!!!

Yup, Mark Romo. And Maggie is in there a couple of times too.... :laugh:

I did get some facial opportunities...coming around for universal cymbal stand duties, setting up and retreat. Frigg'n hippies!!!! B)

Um John, I don't mean to complain, but there is too much foam on my latte...wanna go and get that right this time, huh b**bs

Edited by Tansea

Hey Maggie,

Nope, 'fraid it wasn't me getting on the bus. I'm the Redhead wearing the yellow Raggedy Anne shirt bumping shoulders with the shirtless guy (looking kinda dorky if you ask me :wub: ). During the Parade, after the guy who is twirling the cymbles, I'm the first flag next to the baritone line, left side of the screen. THEN I'm the third sweaty faced guard member standing at retreat. Not my best face I'm afraid, it was HOT after all. Boy, we sure were SERIOUS back then! And so goes my 13 seconds of fame :wub:

The name of the video is "Competitive Drum Corps" It features '73 Vanguard and a kid named Mark who was a third Soprano. It has tid-bits of Troopers, Madison, Blue Stars, Kingsmen (you can see Ralph Hardiman), Cavies and 27th I believe. "As of this moment", it is the only film of any Drum Corps from '73 and as far as I know, it is no longer available. But, get in contact with DCI and see what they say.

"If we win... we win together! If we lose... we lose together..." (said subconsciously in a thoughtful dreamy voice while standing on the starting line) I believe was the last thing said in the film...

It's been a long time since I remember seeing it!