Pembroke Imperials

Pembroke was on the field through the '82 season, and they had some fine corps in the early 70s. The Boston area drum corps scene was pretty tied up in '82, with 27th, Boston Cru, Alliance, North Star (also their final season).

Pembroke had a couple controversial results....1974 World Open prelims, where they beat DCI finalists Kilties, Blue Stars, Purple Lancers and Phantom Regiment, only to fall behind all of those corps at finals. In '73 Pembroke won VFW Nationals over DCI finalist Belleville Black Knights.

Pembroke had a couple controversial results....1974 World Open prelims, where they beat DCI finalists Kilties, Blue Stars, Purple Lancers and Phantom Regiment, only to fall behind all of those corps at finals.

That is true....sort of.

At the 74 World Open prelims, the DCI corps had to play their entire show and were judged accordingly. Non-DCI corps were required to perform to the "old fashion" prelim schedule which allowed them to "skip" playing their concert, and their scores were 2 or 3 points higher. Obviously, several non-DCI corps had an inflated score because it did not include playing their concert.

At finals - everyone was played their entire show, and the scores were more indicative of the corps performance.

Pembroke was a great corps.

Dorchester Guy:

You must be an old buzzard to remember this corps. If I remember correctely "Sully" was their drum instructor for years. I believe he marched in the Braintree Warriors.

Also, they played some great Stan Kenton music during those years.

Living in the town of Pembroke, I get to see them in our parades and see a lot of old faces.

Maybe we should get together and meet and have a few beers.

I bet you don't live far for one of Dorchester's fav. spots. The Erie Pub. The "Erie" has been visited by Pres. Clinton, needless to say he had to have a beer,

and Pres. Regan, always looking for a cold one.

It was one of my fav. spots, with a lot of good drum corps people. Drum Corps People who knew what D. C. was all about.

Hope the Imperials keep up the good work.

CODI

They were a great corps, and a great group of people. Jack Donovan played snare in St. John's Misslemen, St. Mary's Cardinals, and Boston Crusaders, and taught their drum line in the early 70's. The organization still exists.

http://www.pathwayproductions.org/imperials.htm

I know Jack - he was playing snare with BAC when they won the national drum trophy in Miami in 1970 and marched BAC in 71.

I am 100% certain that John "Sully" Sullivan (RIP) taught Pembroke's drumline for several years in the early 70's. He was so very proud of their Silver Drum from the 73 VFW Nationals.

Sully did teach, and was a real gentleman.

CODI, it is time for the Erie. Perhaps we will meet Tubba Ford and Tiny there. Joe Bananas is coming to the Fenway Theater to see DCI quarterfinals.

I always thaought it was ironic that the Pembroke Imperials were the only Massachusetts corps to win the VFW. After all the gnashing of teeth between Boston, Revere, St. Kevins, Beverly, and even Cambridge, the meek inherit the earth. It wasn't DCI, but then again, St. Lucy's once won the Legion.

Sully did teach, and was a real gentleman.

CODI, it is time for the Erie. Perhaps we will meet Tubba Ford and Tiny there. Joe Bananas is coming to the Fenway Theater to see DCI quarterfinals.

I always thaought it was ironic that the Pembroke Imperials were the only Massachusetts corps to win the VFW. After all the gnashing of teeth between Boston, Revere, St. Kevins, Beverly, and even Cambridge, the meek inherit the earth. It wasn't DCI, but then again, St. Lucy's once won the Legion.

St. Lucy's ?

Oh ya.... BRIDGEPORT 68

Edited by SKEK_SOP

Pembrokeimperials.jpg

Looks to me like that end snare on the right is Jim Cuniff, also of Reveries and 27th fame !