Question about older DCI cds

Yea Macs won't do it automatically. The software I use to convert from wma to mp3 (or mp4 or anything really) is called VLC. Very simple and free.

Edited by Lancerman07

I am on a MAC 3G with ITunes 6. I know there is a newer version of ITunes but can't run it on my present system. When I downloaded Star of Indiana and was not able to open with ITunes I emailed the DCI tech and was told the downloads were not compatible with itunes.

http://www.dci.org/media/downloads/faq/audio.cfm

Unlike the PC version, iTunes on Mac does not currently support direct imports of WMA files. Instead, you can use an inexpensive shareware product such as EasyWMA to automatically convert the 192-bit WMA files you download from the DCI Fan Network to MP3 or other formats.

http://www.easywma.com/

Any help?

Back to the topic....i have always wanted to replace my LP's from the 80s when i marched. Does anyone know if DCI even has the original masters to semi-finals/finals AND...IF SO...what is the furthest back they go? I'm hoping that one day soon, there will be audio or video recordings of semi-finals, finals from the 70s on? Does anyone see this happening?

Upgrade; it's the 21st century. CD player... how 90's.

That's kind of the point, though.

The older an audience gets, the more resistant they are to change. Given that your biggest consumers of older "legacy" products are going to be an older generation....it might be beneficial to offer, at the very least, a "burn your own CD" option for a flat rate where you choose who is on it.

If you opened up that "create a CD" option to all the Top 13-21, Class A and A-60 recordings, everyone could win....rather than seeing people trying to make a buck off of old recordings not offererd by DCI on eBay. :)

That's kind of the point, though.

The older an audience gets, the more resistant they are to change. Given that your biggest consumers of older "legacy" products are going to be an older generation....it might be beneficial to offer, at the very least, a "burn your own CD" option for a flat rate where you choose who is on it.

If you opened up that "create a CD" option to all the Top 13-21, Class A and A-60 recordings, everyone could win....rather than seeing people trying to make a buck off of old recordings not offererd by DCI on eBay. :)

Sorry; I was being sarcastic. You have a point, however, and one I'm acutely aware of. It would be interesting if you could make it such that a custom CD would be viable as a product... Any 6 for $24.99? Would that play? How much effort would that take to do, and could you make any money off of that? Interesting thoughts, nonetheless.

Sorry; I was being sarcastic. You have a point, however, and one I'm acutely aware of. It would be interesting if you could make it such that a custom CD would be viable as a product... Any 6 for $24.99? Would that play? How much effort would that take to do, and could you make any money off of that? Interesting thoughts, nonetheless.

I think that price point is about right...although I'd say since 7 can usually fit on a CD, maybe 7/24.99 could work.

Given the fact that those shows haven't seen the light of day in...well...since the year they were produced, there could be enough market for it.

I can think of a few CD's worth I'd buy: Sky Ryders, Dutch Boy, Acadamie Musicale.

Add on to that as well a way you can use APD's as a way to get some "DCI extras"...keep the microphones on at regionals and record standstills, encores and the extra pieces that corps play. Make it a quality download and get money lost from people recording this stuff and uploading it to YouTube/file sharing.

and I can't pop a Legacy DVD in my CD player.

Sure you can. It makes a fine cup holder. Sounds bad, though. Looks even worse.

I have seen older DCI CDs on ebay as "Collector's Series" box sets. I went on the DCI website and can't find any way to purchase older DCI cds of complete shows prior to 1997. What is DCI's logic in not making them available. The downloads won't work on my ipod.

I wait for enlightenment........... :(

If you have Music Match, you should be able to convert it to a mp3 file.