Corps and their horns

the judges are looking for musicality. if you (general you) can give them what they are looking for, it doesn't really matter what key you play in.

as far as Bbs go, I love them. The instruments themselves aren't "more in tune" than G's. However, it is very clear that they are easier to tune. well, a concert Bb is at least on Dynasty horns. The rest of the pitches, watch out. :rock:

a good hornline is a good hornline no matter what they play on. Just so happens that today's corps that are using Bbs are getting better sounds than they used to, and that's really what matters. Look at anyone in DCI who has switched to Bbs, and everyone in DCA as well. the sound quality has made huge progress. May not be as loud as some would like. But I'd rather have a balanced, in tune hornline over a loud one any day, especially since the more in tune and balanced you are, the louder you're going to sound. an out of tune hornline playing at FF sounds FF. an in tune balanced hornline playing at FF sounds FFF. Magic.

agreed, an out of tune hornline can be loud, i would also take a hornline playing at F who is in tune (goosebumps), aposed to one out of tune playing FFF.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prairie Sound plays 2 valve Gs. Most of the Bugles are Dynasty Brand with the exception of 3 of our Baritones being Kings.

We'll keep using these Bugles for a while and will probably add 3 valve Gs a little at a time.

Now if King were to come to us sometime and offer us a killer deal on some Bb/F horns? I really don't know what I'd do. All the players we have so far think playing the G 2 valves is really cool. :rock:

G Bugles are traditional, unusual and fun but brand spankin new brass in Bb/F is real tempting. :sshh: ^0^ :sshh:

Bb_tshirt-1.jpg

MCL G all the way! :bleah::whistle::rock::rock:

How can I order one of these T-Shirts. I've gotta have one. :whistle:

Roch CRU has been on Bb since 05 but our snares will always remain in the key of G.

Heh, at MCL I tune the guts on the snares to B-flat just to mess with the G fanatics in the corps. :rock:

as far as Bbs go, I love them. The instruments themselves aren't "more in tune" than G's. However, it is very clear that they are easier to tune. well, a concert Bb is at least on Dynasty horns. The rest of the pitches, watch out. :rock:

a good hornline is a good hornline no matter what they play on. Just so happens that today's corps that are using Bbs are getting better sounds than they used to, and that's really what matters. Look at anyone in DCI who has switched to Bbs, and everyone in DCA as well. the sound quality has made huge progress. May not be as loud as some would like. But I'd rather have a balanced, in tune hornline over a loud one any day, especially since the more in tune and balanced you are, the louder you're going to sound. an out of tune hornline playing at FF sounds FF. an in tune balanced hornline playing at FF sounds FFF. Magic.

The truly educated and well seasoned drum corps fan is impervious to out of tune hornlines, no matter the key of the instrument. Their ears automatically adjust to "hear" everything in tune :P

The argument that Bbs are easier to tune, I think, was made up by players that have trouble playing in tune and needed an excuse. "It's not me! It's the darn horn!" ^0^

Dream Contras are on G horns, two K-90s and two DEG SuperMagnum 3v horns. We're fine until we play a G. Those darn K-90s can't play a G to save their lives. :whistle:

How can I order one of these T-Shirts. I've gotta have one. :whistle:

I PM you the details.I have a limited number of these left.

Enjoy.

Prairie Sound plays 2 valve Gs. Most of the Bugles are Dynasty Brand with the exception of 3 of our Baritones being Kings.

We'll keep using these Bugles for a while and will probably add 3 valve Gs a little at a time.

Now if King were to come to us sometime and offer us a killer deal on some Bb/F horns? I really don't know what I'd do. All the players we have so far think playing the G 2 valves is really cool. :whistle:

G Bugles are traditional, unusual and fun but brand spankin new brass in Bb/F is real tempting. :sshh: ^0^ :sshh:

Now that makes sense to me. If you are going to play in the key of G, two valves is the way to go. I would say valve/rotor but I am not that big of a masochist. I remember thinking when the third valve was added, 'well why not just go all the way and go to concert pitch'. To the vast majority of folks, even band kids who watched corps in the 70s and 80s, I would bet a minority of the audience actually knew what key the horns were in. But I bet all of them could tell you there where only two valves! The two valve and valve rotor horns were very distinctive. Once the third valve was added it got a bit blurry.

I admire your gumption. Building a corps today and putting them on G would be an uphill battle. But doing it on two valve horns is like ice skating uphill.

Edited by mchromik

I think we need a t-shirt for the other camp here. :P

Gtshirt-1.jpg