hey its the Colts bugle and drum corps... band

So let me get this right. A news story is done on Bugle and Drum corps and instead of saying, "its about time", all we do is rip on everything about it? I wish it would have been done the last year I marched so I could have shown my high school football coach. He wouldn't let me join after tour as " you won't be in shape, since you missed the summer exercises". :doh: The public doesn't know, nor care about the correct terminology, only anally retentive members do. I was a Paramedic for ten years and was constantly called," the ambulance driver", I could have cared less as I was too busy helping others to live. Any publicity is good publicity.

There are distinct differences between a band and a corps. If you are going to be a journalist at any level, report on one and/or the other, and have any credibility, you had better know the difference.

Edited by dciguy01

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats like last year we did an exhibition at this summer marching band circuit's championships in Wisconsin. The PA announcer read our little intro and must have said "drum corps" and "the corps" a zillion times, but then at the very end said "DM Alex Wilga, is your BAND ready?" :doh:

But back to the original post, how does a TV station make mistakes that obvious? Not trying to be rude, but wow, not even close! Did they not notice the "Colts Drum and Bugle Corps" print on the buses/trucks?

I was thinking the same thing. except the Colts dont have "drum and bugle corps" on there older buses or there trailers. Not sure about the new logos. Mike grimes is also the tour director not the "director" of the corps. You would at least thing that as a PR agnecy you would get facts right be for proceeding to the public. I stick to what I said before, It was a good piece, only with a few flaws...

My favorite butchering-of-terms was when we were introduced at a parade as "The Cross-Man Band!"

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Edited by bigCPApi

Now the people that don't know what Drum and Bugle corps is, they are going to be looking for the Bugle and Drum Competition and wont find it :doh:

or even better where is the BAND???? :doh::doh:

Edited by Supersop08

I was there at the 1981 Take this job premier and I was a 13 year old rookie, not druggie. Anyway, the idea that a newsperson is susposed to be perfect is better left up to the right wing radio bores. NOBODY IS PERFECT, enjoy the fact that they did anything at all. A little bit of something is better than truckloads of nothing.

DCI calls them Marching Music Ensembles.

Except for some hold outs the Div 1 corps all march with BAND instruments now.

Throw in Electronics, singing and cheezy props. And in a few years woodwinds.

Tell me what is the real difference?

Maybe this reporter was more Nostradamus instead of hack journalist. :P

And face it. Outside of this board very few people give a rats anus whether its marching band or drum corps. Life goes on. Get over it.

nice tv feature on the Colts!!!

However - I cannot get over the cross-eyed news anchor at the tv station . Never seen that before :)

guys remember after all,where she found a job, and that equal opportunity means many things. Apparently in Kansas it means you don't have to know anything about which ,you speak

So let me get this right. A news story is done on Bugle and Drum corps and instead of saying, "its about time", all we do is rip on everything about it? I wish it would have been done the last year I marched so I could have shown my high school football coach. He wouldn't let me join after tour as " you won't be in shape, since you missed the summer exercises". :doh: The public doesn't know, nor care about the correct terminology, only anally retentive members do. I was a Paramedic for ten years and was constantly called," the ambulance driver", I could have cared less as I was too busy helping others to live. Any publicity is good publicity.

It's not surprising today that the media would get something wrong. And I do disagree when drum and bugle corps only attracts 5,000 members a year ,I think accuracy DOES matter. But at the same time she is in Lawrence Kansas right?

chances are as David Letterman oft says "Nobody's watchin' anyway.

Thats like last year we did an exhibition at this summer marching band circuit's championships in Wisconsin. The PA announcer read our little intro and must have said "drum corps" and "the corps" a zillion times, but then at the very end said "DM Alex Wilga, is your BAND ready?" :doh:

But back to the original post, how does a TV station make mistakes that obvious? Not trying to be rude, but wow, not even close! Did they not notice the "Colts Drum and Bugle Corps" print on the buses/trucks?

We had that happen at BOA this past year. We were called the karns high school marching music band

Drum corps is still underpublicized, and I think we do have to take everything we get.

To the average person, I still hold that marching band is the closest comparison. To help someone -- especially a news audience -- imagine what this is without ever seeing it, those comparisons are necessary.

As a journalist, please understand that we do get things wrong, especially when they are things we know little about. Often times, an all-too-enthusiastic source actually makes the story harder, because they can't give reporters a bare-bones understanding of what is going on. Drum corps is a lot to completely understand in a few hours.

Also, Lawrence is about 30-40 minutes from Kansas City. It's not the middle of nowhere.