DCP GoldStar Ratings

JohnD

Introducing DCP GoldStar Ratings - a new feature of Drum Corps Planet that promotes lively, focused and thought-provoking discussion.

Centered squarely on the critical discussions of the drum corps community, DCP GoldStar Ratings encourage our members to delve deeply into issues within the activity and identify the best conversation from a variety of viewpoints.

It is our hope that by encouraging a 'higher quality' of discussion, the DCP community can have a greater impact on the success, growth, and direction of the drum corps activity.

Here's how it works:

A DCP GoldStar Rating panel of 20 members will be assembled from the general membership and chosen by the DCP administration staff based on a variety of factors, including: posting history, past contributions to the content of the site, time availability, respect within the community and other factors.

There is no prequalification to have participated directly within the drum corps activity; DCP GoldStar Rating panelists will be drawn from a variety of age groups, experience levels and viewpoints to provide a diverse cross-section of the DCP community.

Panelists will serve a 6 month term, then be replaced with a new panelist in an effort to afford a wide number of DCP members to participate in the GoldStar Rating panel. Half of the initial panel will serve a 9 month term to provide a staggered overlap of panel members, thereafter bringing 'new blood' into the panel every 3 months and a level of continuity to the panel. Panel members may serve non-consecutive terms.

The DCP GoldStar Rating panel reviews posts in the DCI and DCA discussion forums - looking for the best topics and discussion. If proven successful, the program may be expanded to other forums within the DCP community at some point in the future.

Threads that the panelists consider topical, insightful or of particular interest to the DCP community will receive votes in the form of "stars". Each of the DCP GoldStar Rating panelists can cast a single vote on a scale of 1 to 5 stars.

Eight different panelist votes are required for a topic to become "starred" in the DCI/DCA forums, and for the star rating to be visible to all DCP members. Panel members may vote for their own topic, but a 8 vote minimum will ensure that any self-promoted point-of-view is balanced with community interest. Ratings that are displayed will always be a composite/average of at least 8 votes by panel members, as, again, no rating will be displayed until the 8 vote minimum has been received.

Non-panelist members may also request GoldStar Rating panelist voting on their thread, simply by contacting one or more of the GoldStar panel members and asking for them to vote for the thread in question. However, repeated and/or excessive solicitation of rating votes will cause the post to be removed from any consideration for Poster of the Month/Year.

Once a discussion is rated in the GoldStar Rating system, EVERYONE can continue to participate in the discussion threads .... however, the topics are then closely managed/moderated - to ensure that the level of discussion remains high and remove any off-topic or derailing post. Differences of opinion will be encouraged - but within the boundaries of thoughtful response and respectful conversation,as all of the current DCP Guidelines and moderation policies will still apply in GoldStar threads, along with the aforementioned increased moderator presence.

DCP GoldStar Rating panel members may change their vote (1-5 stars) while the thread remains open - as the 'quality' of the thread may change over time. Readers will easily see the current 'rating' for each thread, which is the average of current ratings by DCP GoldStar Rating panel members. For those that are interested, a sort by "star rating" feature is available (bottom of the thread listing within the forum, select "Order: Topic Ratings") to quickly see what discussions have been rated within the forum.

On a monthly basis, the DCP GoldStar Rating panel will nominate and cast votes for their Top 5 contributors to the GoldStar threads for the previous month. A Poster of the Month will be selected from the Top 5 nominations by DCP's Publisher and Community Administrators. No individual may win Poster Of The Month more than one time in a twelve month period.

At the end of the calendar year, the twelve Posters of The Month will be reviewed and a Poster of the Year selected, with a "DCP Poster of the Year Cup" awarded to the winner.

Those that are interested in becoming a member of the DCP GoldStar Rating panel should send a PM to user "Bawker" for inclusion in the selection list. Once received, your name will remain on the list for consideration - until you ask us to remove it. Multiple requests will not be honored.

We expect to announce the initial DCP GoldStar Rating panel on Monday, August 6th - so get your PM to Bawker ASAP if you're interested in participating.

We sincerely hope you'll join us in creating a drum corps forum experience like none other.

Thank you for your continued support.

-john

• 2 weeks later...

With this post, I'd like to announce the initial set of DCP GoldStar Rating Panelists. The response to our invitation for members was great .. and it was difficult to whittle the list down to 20 panelists.

If you expressed an interesting in joining the panel and were not selected in this first round, please know that you're still on the list and will have an opportunity to be a member when the first term limit is reached in 6 months. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Here is the initial panel:

1. 84BDsop
  2. audiodb *
  3. BushBonez
  4. CloudFuel *
  5. danielray
  6. David Hill *
  7. drumcat
  8. euponitone *
  9. festive
  10. jwillis35 *
  11. KingJoeVII
  12. Liam *
  13. MagicBobert
  14. Michael Boo *
  15. Octavia9299
  16. randomnoise *
  17. Ryan H Turner
  18. Skylinersop16 *
  19. The Tsar
  20. Thom *

* = 9 month term. All others (and all future) = 6 month term.

Half of the initial list (alphabetized, then alternating) will serve a 6 month term, as will all future panelists named. The other half of the list (those with *'s), a 9 month term - to provide continuity and a regular rotation every 3 months, once we get this underway. Doing so will keep the panel 'fresh' and diverse, while giving panelists a time to settle into their roles.

Panelists should look for a PM from me with more information.

Keep your eyes open for threads in the following forums to be rated:

Other forums may be added to the list at some time in the future - depending on the response to this initial set.

We encourage everyone to re-read the FIRST post in this thread, which outlined the intent and guidelines for the GoldStar Ratings program.

Thank you for your continued support and participation!

-john

2 questions (although already answered through PM)

Is there anyway for the panel to see rated topics that don't yet have 8 votes? I only ask so that if we see a rated thread that maybe we normally wouldn't have checked have a few votes, we can go in and read, and give it a vote if necessary. I will totally understand if the board doesn't have that function yet.

Also, is it acceptable for panel members to ask people who are starting to post off topic things in rated discussions to keep it on topic before it gets out of hand and needs to be edited by moderators? I'm the type of person who hates asking moderators to do more, even though I report posts when I see something that really shouldn't be there. Not trying to seperate myself from anyone, especially since in 6 months it will go to someone else, but I would hate to see a rated topic go down in rank and not up. That's just my thoughts on the matter.

I'll speak on behalf of the other 19 and say thank you for letting us make DCP a better place!

2 questions (although already answered through PM)

Is there anyway for the panel to see rated topics that don't yet have 8 votes? I only ask so that if we see a rated thread that maybe we normally wouldn't have checked have a few votes, we can go in and read, and give it a vote if necessary. I will totally understand if the board doesn't have that function yet.

Also, is it acceptable for panel members to ask people who are starting to post off topic things in rated discussions to keep it on topic before it gets out of hand and needs to be edited by moderators? I'm the type of person who hates asking moderators to do more, even though I report posts when I see something that really shouldn't be there. Not trying to seperate myself from anyone, especially since in 6 months it will go to someone else, but I would hate to see a rated topic go down in rank and not up. That's just my thoughts on the matter.

I'll speak on behalf of the other 19 and say thank you for letting us make DCP a better place!

In regards to these questions (which other members have already asked as well):

1. There current set up of the forum tweak in place to let rating occur doesn't allow for topics to show "star" status until the eight vote limit is reached. Additionally, the benefit of this is that you aren't predisposed to rate a thread just based on other panelists, keeping the impartiality factor high.

2. I think it's a great idea for the community to become somewhat self-policing. I see no problem with asking people to try to stay on track in a "starred" thread, and the Forum Support Team is always ready to help. We will certainly zero in on rated threads, but feel free to PM us concerning anything you may see discussion-wise that doesn't feel right to you or other panelists.

After a week of activity, we've decided to change the threshold number of votes required to display a topics rating from 8 to 6 - which was our original design intent. With over 100 threads having received votes - our GoldStar Rating Panel has been busy distributing their votes around the various forums.

GoldStar Ratings Panelists are still getting 'settled' into their groove as we continue to define the judging system. (No well-defined scoring rubric here - yet.) Over time we'll all get much better at the ratings process.

Thank you for your continuing participation and support.

-john

Just a curiousity question here. I understand the drop from 8 to 6 votes to get an official rating. But even so I have only seen 3 (now 4 with the test thread) starred or rated threads. Have you guys thought about increasing the number of Panelists so it is easier for a thread to recieve a rating? Or did you specifically leave the number low so less threads would recieve ratings? Like I said just curious.

Oh and sign me up for the next round of participating!

Just a curiousity question here. I understand the drop from 8 to 6 votes to get an official rating. But even so I have only seen 3 (now 4 with the test thread) starred or rated threads. Have you guys thought about increasing the number of Panelists so it is easier for a thread to recieve a rating? Or did you specifically leave the number low so less threads would recieve ratings? Like I said just curious.

Oh and sign me up for the next round of participating!

Sorry - I'd stepped away for a bit.

We believe a panel of 20 provides a representative cross-section of the DCP community and allows us to better-manage the process. Remember - the idea is not to simply produce a lot of star'd treads ... but rather to identify the very best topics and discussion on the site. We realize that this is all new to people, so will take some time for the panel to be 'proficient' in their task.

That said, this is a work-in-progress - which we'll tune and tweak over time.

Please drop a PM to Bawker and ask him to add you to the list.

-john