*Cough* *Cough*

I read on this forum somewhere that 2 kids from Crown got bronchitis and were separated from the entire corps for a couple of weeks. So my question to you guys is.... has any corps had most of their members sick of something? Any stories of yourself getting sick on tour and how you managed? :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was '96, i think, and we were in some farm town in Illinios (i think) and the battery went tracking down some farm road and when they returned they were all very very sick and one went into seizures. It turns out all of them had a bad reaction to a pesticide that was used got them all sick and there was a panic in our housing site.

I remember two really bad times in 05. We had a free day in Ohio, and for some reason everyone on the guard bus ate something from the food truck that was leftovers from like a week before. I just remember a lot of people having to do laundry twice because so much stuff was thrown up on (ya, gross stuff). And we left the guard bus at the laundry place to be cleaned, and piled everyone into the horn and percussion bus.

There was something going around during Allentown week too. I remember waking up and going outside, and half the corps was still in their beds and couldn't move. Funny story about that, my friend Joe (who's at BD this year) actually just didn't hear the wakeup that day, and slept in. I guess when he woke up and saw everyone still in bed, he just went back to sleep. Around 1 or 2 our drum major was walking around asking people if they needed water and to see how they were feeling. He walked up to Joe and lightly woke him up to ask him how he was doing, and Joe realized right then what was going on, yelled something I probably shouldn't say on DCP and sprinted out to rehearsal in the boxers he was sleeping in. Doing a run through, and watching a mellophone player in a pair of boxers sprinting down a hill screaming profanity is definitly one of my favorite tour memories. b**bs

In 1978, the Kilties' first tour took them through the deep South, and many members got very sick. They limped into Whitewater for DCI Midwest, marched prelims with a lot of holes. I recall several kids passing out during their performance. They managed to make it into the evening show.

From what I was told, the corps was offered the option of not performing because of the illness, but refused. They performed, and, according to the story, additional volunteers from another corps - Phantom Regiment? - lined the outer edges of the field to assist in case any kids went down for the count.

Since I wasn't at the evening performance, is there someone there who can confirm this?

There was something going around during Allentown week too. I remember waking up and going outside, and half the corps was still in their beds and couldn't move. Funny story about that, my friend Joe (who's at BD this year) actually just didn't hear the wakeup that day, and slept in. I guess when he woke up and saw everyone still in bed, he just went back to sleep. Around 1 or 2 our drum major was walking around asking people if they needed water and to see how they were feeling. He walked up to Joe and lightly woke him up to ask him how he was doing, and Joe realized right then what was going on, yelled something I probably shouldn't say on DCP and sprinted out to rehearsal in the boxers he was sleeping in. Doing a run through, and watching a mellophone player in a pair of boxers sprinting down a hill screaming profanity is definitly one of my favorite tour memories. b**bs

that's one of the funniest things I've ever read on dcp.

~>conner

1986 - Ohio... 36 People , a bus, a trip to the hospital and 36 different diagnoses.(sp?)

We had one poor guy end up with mono and had to be segregated from the rest of the corps. He still marched all the shows though. What a trooper. Next year became Drum Major. He certainly earned it.

I had gastronitis... not fun. There were also people with pleuricy, bronchitis, pneumonia and all of us were severely dehydrated. We ended up with salt in everything we drank for the next month! Yuckkkkk. Half the corps was on a liquid diet until our systems settled. Quite unpleasant.

The funny thing was that our corps director thought we were all wimping out until he sent us to the hospital.

Just day before yesterday...apart from the usual viruses affecting corp members....the Bluecoats had their euph soloist come down with appedecitis just hours before the competition in UT.....Kudos to the kid that learned those solos within a couple hours of the show!!!!!!!!!

1986 - Ohio... 36 People , a bus, a trip to the hospital and 36 different diagnoses.(sp?)

We had one poor guy end up with mono and had to be segregated from the rest of the corps. He still marched all the shows though. What a trooper. Next year became Drum Major. He certainly earned it.

I had gastronitis... not fun. There were also people with pleuricy, bronchitis, pneumonia and all of us were severely dehydrated. We ended up with salt in everything we drank for the next month! Yuckkkkk. Half the corps was on a liquid diet until our systems settled. Quite unpleasant.

The funny thing was that our corps director thought we were all wimping out until he sent us to the hospital.

They segregated the poor guy? Bummer. And probably unnecessary--you typically spread the love, so to speak, before your body has a nasty outward reaction to a viral infection. (Drove me crazy that our daycare would send kids home, no matter what, with a flu-induced fever--even a very mild one-- "to prevent spreading." Too late. They did their spreading about a week prior...)