What does everyone think of the 07 BD drum feature?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not crazy about it. It's okay I guess. The body movements are repetitive and not very clean yet. It doesn't seem to fit right now.

I saw it up close in Indy and was not impressed. The entire drum break is a series of Inside Five stroke rolls... and then to "take it up a notch" they add the "body movement" on top of it but here's the problem:

It's still DIRTY (beats), the movement isn't uniform and it's simply NOT interesting or entertaining (IMO).

Meanwhile; PR didn't dance around, but threw down some intricate beats with the utmost CLEANLINESS yet still lost in drums that night to BD?! WTF-mate?

my $.02

eP

I enjoyed the heck out of it. Maybe cause I'm not a drummer.

Don't like - The body movemnets, the same thing being played again and again, the sound of the drums - none of it

Have to agree with you on that. The Blue Devils have such a fine history of outstanding drumlines. This year is no exception but the feature is a bit of a let down. If they would switch to Yamaha at least the drums would sound better.

Have to agree with you on that. The Blue Devils have such a fine history of outstanding drumlines. This year is no exception but the feature is a bit of a let down. If they would switch to Yamaha at least the drums would sound better.

Totally agree. I got to see them in the lot in Pittsburg, KS and while they play great, the drums are horrible... Seriously, I don't understand the love affair with Dynasty drums, folks.

It's one of my favorite moments of the season so far!

And it's also one of the things I watch most often on the mid-season DVD.

I agree about the Dynasty drums. They've sounded pretty bad in past years, but this year they somehow sound ESPECIALLY disgusting. Even more so when they use the rubber-tipped sticks. I don't comprehend how ScoJo can listen to these drums and find them sonically pleasing. Especially when compared to the crisp, sharp tones of the Cadets' and Phantom Regiment's drums.

I like it. It is a feature, but didn't strike me as supposing to be the main drum feature.

Anything that is a throw back to old school gets my vote. It's not my pick for ole skool lick of the week, but anything ole skool that brings attention to yesteryear drum corps is always a good thing.

I've been wondering for years when is someone gonna just throw out some exposed tap rolls like 27th in NinerTwo. Finally we have a taker, go BD 2007 tap rolls from hell!

Now please go check out 1981 27th.

Anybody else notice that seemingly everyone and his brother, in terms of corps as a whole, is just shamelessly copying Mystique's show from this year? Seriously. When they did all the body movement, it was cool. Now, it's just been-there, done-that, and it all looks pretty similar. At least, to me it does.

And in regards to the Dynasty thing...I understand that a lot of people don't like the deeper, "chewier" (for lack of a better word...) sound the snares get...But I honestly don't really see the problem. Yeah, 04 and 05 sounded like cardboard boxes...but take, say, last year, or 2003, or 2000, and that's just an awesome sound.

Plus, the basses are decent and the quads are second to none. IMO, at least.

Also regarding their drum sound, a lot has to do with tuning. If you listen to the Glassmen, their drums (also Dynasty) don't sound anything like the Blue Devils.