Things you would almost bet on for finals week this year

The judges will finally get the brass approach of Crown and give them credit on the sheets for it which will move them up the order.

Cavies will be out of the top 3.

BD gets the nod over Cadets as finals are in California.

I think all three of these are very likely.

Nice job! :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what an interesting season this has been so far. With all the things that have happened so far, what are things you will almost bet will happen this season during finals week?

Things I would bet on

Cadets-Blue Devils-Cavies take top 3, order will probably change from quarters to finals

The corps that wins semis isn't going to win finals

Colts will make top 12 for the first time since 2001

Madison falls out of top 12 for only the 2nd time since the early 70's

Closest scoring margin 1-12 in finals history

Pioneer will be 22nd(still a great show)

17th place corps is within 3 points of making top 12

Every DII corps will make DII/III Grand finals(or finals or whatever they call it this year)

Attendance for DII/III competitions will be higher than it has been in at least a decade

These are just some of the things I think will happen in Pasadena. What are some of your guesses for the week?

Great topic and some great points made.

I agree that the top three is pretty much set in stone. It would be cool for some sort of shocker, though. The top three will not remain the same all three days, as you said.

I agree that the Colts are pretty much a given for finals.

It would be cool if Madison made the top 12, but I just don't see it happening, as you said. As much as I'd like them to make it, I would also love to see some new faces in there.

I disagree with the closest 1-12 scoring prediction, though. I really think that even though this year has been very competitive, it has been competitive within certain groupings: 1-7, 8-9/10, 10/11-17, etc. I still think the top 12 will only have 8 corps at most scoring above a 90, and the spread will be about normal for the top 12 at finals (more or less 12-13 points).

Pioneer will be 22nd, yes. The Mandarins will not be 21st, even though I think they should be. Troopers will fall in that spot, most likely, which is disappointing. I would really like to see them make Semi's. After their first couple of scores people were still considering them a contender for finals, but they don't seem to have improved much since then.

Top 17 within three points of finals - good call! I think this would be awesome, but I really think it'll be more like top 16 within three points. I have a feeling the 17th place corps will be the only one in semi's scoring in the 70s, and everyone else will be a few points up on that.

Yes - every Division 2 corps will make 2/3 finals, which can be said for MOST years, but especially this year since there are only six of them...It's kind of sad, really. And I don't think we'll see any records for Div. 2/3, because with as many 2/3 corps out in the California area, there are also MANY less competing corps in 2/3 this year, so not as many spectators as normal, I feel.

Some more predictions -

The top 12 at quarterfinals will not be the top 12 at semifinals. The 13th or 14th (hell, even 15th) place corps at quarters will be the one to make finals. Someone's going to turn it on BIG time when they realize how close they are.

Boston will come in 8th place at quarters and slide to 9th or 10th in semi's, much like the past 3-4 years.

Blue Knights MAY upset the 7th place corps again.

The crowd favorite will NOT be BD and will NOT have won any major contests all year.

For those of you putting the inevitable high brass champions in 5th - lord - think again.

There is no way Bluecoats will finish lower than 4th and with a 4-day, last-minute deathcamp before this weekend's regional, look for them to clean and de-tick, big time.

Don't be surprised if even more cool stuff is added to the show, too.

other surprises:

Crown in 4th

Blue Stars make finals

Troop in 17th

Edited by radiosteele

Blue Knights MAY upset the 7th place corps again.

That's a good one... I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. (I suspect because you said "may", in capital letters nonetheless, that you wouldn't bet on it either!) In recent years, BK has shown it knows how to finish the season very strong. Comparatively, Boston Crusaders seem to lose steam come Championships week. Therefore, I'd at least bet that BK has a lock on 8th.... 7th is a stretch because I just can't see any of the top 7 dropping back. I suspect SCV is most vulnerable, but I'd bet they remain in the top 7.

There is no way Bluecoats will finish lower than 4th and with a 4-day, last-minute deathcamp before this weekend's regional, look for them to clean and de-tick, big time.

Crown in 4th

I'm curious, which of the current top three (BD, Cadets, Cavies) drops out of the top four to make room for Bluecotas and Crown?

...and everyone else will be eating Popsicles and playing on the swings at a local park while Blu practices.

Don't be surprised if even more cool stuff is added to the show, too.

...rules require everyone else to go with their show as it is today.

My predictions of the unpredictable.

There will be a three way tie for 12th place at semis - there will be 14 corps in finals. Madison will not be one of them.

Blue Devils, Bluecoats and PR will be in the top three. Crown and Cadets will tie for fourth. Cavaliers will be sixth. There will be a 0.8 point spread from 1st to 5th. A corp will drop a position due to a penalty.

The largest ovation of the weekend will be for Anaheim!

The final corps will go on for finals at 9:00 but the winner won't be permitted an encore due to noise ordinances.

There will be heavy drinking Thursday night, Friday night and all day Saturday.

LAX will be full of corps people by 7:00am Sunday.

The most common comment of the weekend will be - "can you lean to the left or right, I can't see".

For those of you putting the inevitable high brass champions in 5th - lord - think again.

Remind me how the bluecoats have done in their last 2 or 3 shows in brass....

I have a feeling it wasnt 1st, and that was only against 1 of the top 3 :whistle:

Its nice that you like your drum corps though :)