Son's first BD experience (not all that we had hoped)

First off, this is not a gripe, omplaint or grievance. It was not the day we had hoped for, but I felt a desire to share it with other fans of the activity.

So I have been a long time fan and am pleased to be taking a trek from Reno to Pasadena this year for finals. Having moved to Northern NV in the past 2 years, my opportunities for seeing live drum corps are even more limited than the typical early-June tour I had grown accustomed to.

Nonetheless, I have been a dedicated fan and have offered up repeated viewings of past years to my kids. My 5-year old son has developed in to a Blue Devils fan thanks to their 2004 show combined with a general love of trains. He even has (what I call) the Blue Devils growl that Mr. Crocker does in introducing the corp before a show. He has yet to see a corps live and in-person, but based on our trip today, it may be sooner rather than later.

You see, in looking through the various corps tour schedules, I realized some have the chance of coming through Reno for a day and even setting up practice for a day. I was REALY excited last week to find out the Blue Devils would be stopping in town for about 12 hours on their rush from Indy to Palo Alto. So, I took the day off work, figured out a time so that I could walk my son through practice and still get him to school on time for afternoon Kindergarten. He knew this wouldn't be a uniformed gig ("they practice without shirts" he says), but I was looking forward to the energy. The boy was even wearing the Blue Devils hat I bought him in Stockton last year.

We drove accross town to their housing site around 10AM, figuring they would have a later start due to their arrival time. Honestly, I felt the odds were 50/50 that they were even still staying at this high school. So I got a certain level of excitement when I saw the trucks/busses. We park down the hill and walk up, not wishing to intrude too far as I can tell there is not too much activity yet. I see a few people around the food truck. I look at the board detailing the schedule of the day. Here's the punchline. We were there for breakfast. Laundry day from 11-2, cleanup and depart at 3PM.

D'OH! No practice at all today.

So, I did manage to point out all the different vehicles to my son, who can still appreciate a big truck. We came away disapointed, but understanding of the needs of the traveling entertainers of which we are both fans. We came home and watched the BD 2004 and 2003 shows. He even started calling me "Drum Corps' in the middle of the day. I asked why and he said, "because you're a fan of the activity." Right now he appreciates the Blue Devils and can recognize Vanguard. I think next year he gets to see them in person (and in uniform).

Thanks for indulging.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally feel your disappointment. I'm always glad to get to soak up a little of the energy whenever Drum Corps comes close to where I live. Last Monday, I took the day off from work and drove up to Denton on blind faith hoping to find SCV's practice site --- They forgot to list it on their Website calendar. (It just said "Pack and load" and then "Depart for Stadium".) Luckily, they were at the same stadium where the show had been the night before.

Even though you didn't get to see a rehearsal, I think it's wonderful that you're showing your son some of what it's all about. If somebody had shown me drum corps sooner, I might have gotten to march a few more years (since I didn't get turned on to DCI till I was a senior in H.S.).

"understanding of the needs of the traveling entertainers of which we are both fans."

B)

Edited by bradrick

What a bummer!! Snaps to you though for introducing your son to drum corps at an early age!!!

He knew this wouldn't be a uniformed gig ("they practice without shirts" he says), but I was looking forward to the energy. The boy was even wearing the Blue Devils hat I bought him in Stockton last year.

We drove accross town to their housing site around 10AM, figuring they would have a later start due to their arrival time. Honestly, I felt the odds were 50/50 that they were even still staying at this high school. So I got a certain level of excitement when I saw the trucks/busses. We park down the hill and walk up, not wishing to intrude too far as I can tell there is not too much activity yet. I see a few people around the food truck. I look at the board detailing the schedule of the day. Here's the punchline. We were there for breakfast. Laundry day from 11-2, cleanup and depart at 3PM.

D'OH! No practice at all today.

So, I did manage to point out all the different vehicles to my son, who can still appreciate a big truck. We came away disapointed, but understanding of the needs of the traveling entertainers of which we are both fans. We came home and watched the BD 2004 and 2003 shows. He even started calling me "Drum Corps' in the middle of the day. I asked why and he said, "because you're a fan of the activity." Right now he appreciates the Blue Devils and can recognize Vanguard. I think next year he gets to see them in person (and in uniform).

Thanks for indulging.

Oh, that is so cute. I can just picture it. What a let down! It is exciting when the corps comes to town. Yep - for five years old, a big truck is also a pretty cool thing. You were probably more disappointed than he was.

We took our son to all things musical when he was little - concerts, parades, marching band practices. If I would have known about drum corps, we would have taken him to that too. As it turned out - he took us, more or less!

I think that's cute when the little ones look up to the corps. It's a great activity for kids of all ages, and you never know where it will lead. Better luck next year!

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that! I wish you would have been able to see them play.

You can still come to the Stanford show! Its less than 4 hours away from you and I believe it's going to be worth it if you can go... this will probably be the largest showcase of drum corps in NorCal for a LONG time.

I totally feel your disappointment. I'm always glad to get to soak up a little of the energy whenever Drum Corps comes close to where I live. Last Monday, I took the day off from work and drove up to Denton on blind faith hoping to find SCV's practice site --- They forgot to list it on their Website calendar. (It just said "Pack and load" and then "Depart for Stadium".) Luckily, they were at the same stadium where the show had been the night before.

Even though you didn't get to see a rehearsal, I think it's wonderful that you're showing your son some of what it's all about. If somebody had shown me drum corps sooner, I might have gotten to march a few more years (since I didn't get turned on to DCI till I was a senior in H.S.).

"understanding of the needs of the traveling entertainers of which we are both fans."

B)

Ah man, that sucks. I had no idea they were there--I drive by that stadium 2 or 3 times a week. Ugh. I need to pay better attention next time.

Dansize,

Your son saw a side of drum corps not everyone gets to observe, the human side. Plus, there were a couple of neat trucks. I trust you took the opportunity to speak with some of the performers and staff. They too would appreciate what you did.

You get this week's Good Parenting Award.

Dansize,

Your son saw a side of drum corps not everyone gets to observe, the human side. Plus, there were a couple of neat trucks. I trust you took the opportunity to speak with some of the performers and staff. They too would appreciate what you did.

Agreed

Agreed

Thirded.

When you said they would only be there 12 hours, my first thought was, "8 hours sleep for the bus drivers, then splitzky." Second thought was, "Why are they going to watch the corps eat breakfast?"

Oh, well--best he gets to see ALL of what DC is about! Hope you and your son get to see the corps live, in uniform, real soon.

I'll take some pictures of all the trucks for your boy next week!