Discuss 'n Dissect: Santa Clara Vanguard 1989

Why did they choose to do Phantom of the Opera two years in a row? I'm a nub

Take a look a corpsreps.com and look at the music a particular corps did from year to year in the 70's and 80's and you'll see a lot of repetition...it was commonplace. I've heard SCV alums say that Royer felt they had unfinished business with it and wanted to "do it right" in '89.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV 1989 was not only the show that really sold me on drum corps, but made me (and more than a few people I know) into huge Santa Clara fans. This show just had it all. Though I loved Phantom's show, there's no denying the impact SCV '89 had on the marching world. I mean, look at all the high schools that do Phantom of the Opera for their yearly program!

I was thinking about this earlier...1989 is the most popular DVD that DCI sells.

Moreover, SCV's show from that year constantly tops favorites lists, and won the first Classic Countdown as the most popular show ever... this being almost twenty years after the fact.

Given it's widespread fan and critical (hey, it won, after all) appeal, do you think there's still any lessons to be learned from this show in todays programming?

What made it work so well? The fact it borrowed from musical theater so well, complete with the "stage magic"? The fact that the show had time to be polished a second year?

Should we look more towards musical theater than we do?

This show seems to have balanced what fans love with what (at the time) won....do we just chalk that up as the show having a certain je ne sais quoi?

SCV's 89 show touched the heart as well as the mind...most of today's shows leave me amazed from a technical perspective, but SCV 88 and 89 left me on the verge of tears.

I think the lesson is that if you do something well, do it again and again until we all cry mercy... LOL

That show isn't that good. It's lots of snippets to me; like a reader's digest - funny thing is I thought they did better with Miss Saigon. That carried the intent more, and was less of a mash-up.

That said, I think 1989 sells well because of the exceptional competitive tightness. We didn't know how it was going to turn out, but the parity was exciting. We also can't overlook that they "overcame adversity" with their over-age dilemma.

The key, to me, is that there was competitive parity. The more drum corps able to challenge the top, the better. SCV came out on top of the pile, and then in the coming years, you get controversy, near bankruptcy, and an emergence into a "new era" in the late 90's. After 1992, you have the tough times, so I think the 89 SCV show is kind of like the way America remembers the 1950's -- golden era. Then dead-ball. Then juiced-ball.

Next up, random steroid testing of contra players and bottom basses. ;)

I can't buy that argument. If that was the case then 88 would have been the more popular version when the top 4 corps were only separated by 1 point. The other posters have nailed it: accessible music with a very well executed emotional performance. There was an edge to the 89 version that was lacking in 88.

Isn't this a "Historical" topic?

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ WHO GIVES A FLIP!!! Let it stay here until people stop posting on it. If you don't want to see it, then don't post on it anymore.

Isn't this a "Historical" topic?

Yes...and no.

I thought it was an interesting parallel to the entertainment argument we see here a lot; so I was trying to relate what is seen as one of the most popular shows in drum corps history (that also happened to win) to now regarding playing to the fans/judges.

I'm not asking for a analysis of the show from a "historical" perspective, but from a entertainment and appeal standpoint, in relation to current trends.

I didn't like SCV as much in '89 as I did in '88. Intellectually, I know '89 was a better performance, but it lacked the raw intensity of the prior year.

That Phantom show, on the other hand, is one of my all-time favorites.

I think we need WAY more company fronts in today's shows :)

Agreed!