Drum corps audio AS IT SHOULD BE....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an amusingly different perspective of this recording session, read what a bunch of recording engineers had to say about this gig over at a location recording forum:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-poss...st-weekend.html

"SCREW THE MICS LOOK AT THOSE BAND GIRLS"

:P

"SCREW THE MICS LOOK AT THOSE BAND GIRLS"

:P

Where are the majorettes???

On one hand, I'd say go whole hog and produce an audio of finals night using this technology. But would such a recording be too clear? I imagine it would pick up a few too many blemishes (cracked notes, battery dirt, brass imbalances) that would be a bit too distracting for many listeners. I agree that a standstill would be just terrific, but something tells me a recording of a full performance would be a bit much.

Yeah, not to mention that a huge sound recording device like that would #### people off who wanted to see the show.

I JUST HAD AN AMAZING IDEA!

With the Indianapolis Championships, DCI could suspend this "item" from quite a height. They could still use some of the mics that they normally use. And, they could also suspend a cam in the middle of the roof, that has a wide-angle lens, so that we can see the corps with a bird's eye view.

I would eagerly dish out more money for a standstill recording than I am doing now yearly for the CD sets. Perhaps they can make the standstill recording session an actual competition, but with only the music captions being judged. I'd pay to see that.

Very, very cool.

DCI should use this like they did for the "Tour of Champions" DVD. They did standstill recordings of each corps, and they sounded FANTASTIC! I think Frank Dorritie was involved in those recordings...

The idea of suspending the rig from a higher perspective in a dome would actually work against the design. You would hear more of the room than the corps. The surround effect really only works when the mics are placed in an "audience" perspective.

PLEASE post a sample of this recording! All of us recording enthusiasts and gear hounds would appreciate it!

Jeff

this is exactly what DCI needs... i hate how the dynamics in recordings really fail to show the actual differences in volume that you get by actually hearing live... this will be good

Sorta F's up the 50 yl seats. BTW, just out of curiosity, why no LFE mic? I'm surprised by that setup. I'm absolutely sure it'll sound awesome, but it's a bit weird that you're recording "surround" from one point, no matter the baffles.

No need for individual mic for LFE. The DPA onmi mics they are using will provide more than enough low end.