Any BINGHAMPTON reviewers?

Time to bring out our smiley friend

:feednotroll:

Review - I didn't see the entire show but I will be happy to throw my review out there.

White Sabers

This corps is trying hard and I can see that. The performance was weak for the brass and percussion but the color guard held strong throughout the entire show IMO. Pretty much the whole show sounded like they were struggling through it but the closer came out nicely. I can tell that it has been worked in rehearsals because I could feel the emotion that was not present in the rest of the show. Keep pushing and you will have a decent spot in Rochester.

Rochester Crusaders

I did not see the performance but I did recognize all the music they were playing. That always makes me happy. :)

Reading Buccaneers

Reading has pretty much blown me away for the last couple of seasons. I will admit that their style does not entertain me but they are very good. I did like Adagio a couple years ago and this year I like the Gershwin piece. Always very clean. The one complaint I do have is that the battery tends to drown out the hornline. Other than that, a great show.

Empire Statesmen

I thought the show was great. There were some obvious holes in the drill and some formations that didn't line up but I thought it was great. I think they did a wonderful job and it was a fitting tribute to Maynard.

Brigadiers

I liked the beginning with the one member in the original uniform playing the echo effect. I thought that was a great way to start the show. Spanish Fantasy is always entertaining and I was happy with all of the show musically. Visually it seemed a bit too hectic at times. There were some sets where members appeared to be running and not keeping up very well. I kinda thought they deserved to be scored a little higher.

Not really an in depth review I know. I'm not good at this standpoint since I'm usually on the field this time of year.

Hey harry thanks for the review of our show. I have to agree with chuck in that it has been a very hard season and very challenging in that aspect. We are working really hard and harder every day. Our drumline is finally filling out as you are well aware. I think what people seem to forget was our last real show with a full panel was central square where we got a 59. and change we jumped almost ten points in two weeks.... i see that as massive progress. We are way farther ahead at this time then we were last year. I think last year in binghamton we got like a 62 and change..... this i see as even more progress..... i as well will look at your review as constructive criticism

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, heck! Stop the presses! Headline: "DCA doesn't need to hire judges any more!"

VOReason's completely objective, unfallible mind and senses can replace all of those stuffed maroon shirts, who feel so sorry for anyone not wearing Buccin' Blue that they try very hard "not to discourage the rest of the circuit so close to finals".

Hmmm... Maybe I've got the angle all wrong. How about this one:

Forget the NBA referee controversy! Forget warrantless wiretapping! VOReason has blown the lid off the greatest heretofore hidden conspiracy of the decade. Some nefarious dark lord (Dick Cheney, perhaps?) has been tampering with the judges, making those poor saps in maroon keep the margins with Bucs just close enough to the rest of the challengers, luring them to their doom. His goal? To crush the Cabs, Bushwackers, and Statesmen's souls by waving that tantalizing scent of "dark horse" championship under their noses, only to crown the Blue Team with the greatest winning margin in DCA history!

Too bad, Grand Conspirator, your cover's been blown. Slink back to the shadows, fiend! Move over Woodward and Bernstein! Make way for VOReason!

Oh, please! How about the spreads are just about exactly where the judges put them. If the Bucs lap the field, so be it. If it comes down to a dropped saber or a blown release deciding it by 0.1, so be it too. If you're such a great judge, let us see your papers. Then, maybe - just maybe - we'll bow down to your "superior" skills.

NOT!

Two things:

1) I wasn't there but... Is it possible that Empire was so close because the Bucs are going through the motions after 25 straight wins? It happens.

2) Crusaders beat the Brigs in total brass. Does that mean Cru has a Top 6 brass line, or that the Brigs have an 11th place brass line?

Two things:

1) I wasn't there but... Is it possible that Empire was so close because the Bucs are going through the motions after 25 straight wins? It happens.

2) Crusaders beat the Brigs in total brass. Does that mean Cru has a Top 6 brass line, or that the Brigs have an 11th place brass line?

Not for nothing,TA... B) .....It means that Cru and Brigs are working their collective tails off and are looking forward to being in the night show repping upstate NY! :unsure:

I also was upstairs near the booth and I saw and heard the Bucs! They were very good and didn't look complacent at all! :worthy: Loudest Bb horn line I ever heard and lots of clean beats from the percussion section too! :worthy:

Empire is really fine tuning the show and getting better every show........therefore, it should make for an interesting Labor Day weekend for the Fans!! 3 upstate NY corps would be cool in open class Finals ! B)

OK... I'll bite... a some what biased review from the front seat of the house...from behind the mic on the front sidelines!

White Sabers... Takes me back to 1977 Mark Twain Cadets... All heart no real numbers. What an effort by this corps. While the snare line needs a lot of work to clean up you can see they are busting it out there. Pit is a very good. With a small horn line it's hard to achieve a full bodied sound but I was pleasently surprised from the field how it sounded. Good luck and Mike... Keep up what you do on that podium ... you truly push and inspire the corps well.

Cru... Holy Moly... Where did This show come from?. I love the sound. I love the battery and the gaurd was good as well.... If this train keeps rolling in a couple years there is a serious contender.

Bucs.... OK... 1st year I have "GOTTEN" their show. Before it was just wow... all the way through, but this year omg. I had the pleasure of watching some practice early in the day. I cannot belive how young this corps is. The pit is something to wow at... The hornline from 10 feet in front of the sidelines put my face in the back of the stands in Promise. I actually got goosebumps in that hit. wow. Thanks to the Bucs for a great encore as well. Josh is one kewl DM and I really aprreciate how close they came up to entertain the crowds... Shout out to local kid Steve on lead Bari.

Empire. OK... Honest here. A great show. My choice of songs and order would have been a little different ... having said that this show is simply amazing. It does have some cleaning to do but wow .... Joey... On... the opening number it was all you ... then as the show wore on the image of Maynard soloing kinda got lost for me. I know the soloists were all there but Joey playing hamming up (he has all of Maynards moves down pat) like that in the beginning really was awesome. Also... At the end where there's 6-7 sops soloing... WOWWWWWWW!!!!. Dave You are one great DM and an awesome entertainer. It's hard to find a DM who milks a crowd like you do. Our fans eat it right up every year. Clean up the show a tad bit more and look out Bucs. I do beg tho... Joey... next year..please do at least one number in the drill. My wife told me to say that.

Brigs. Let's face it corps go through transitions. I really think Brigs are bouncing back big time. They have a solid base to work with. The drum line it top notch. I love what they are playing and how they execute. Put another bunch of marchers out there and look out they ill be right back. Shout out to Bob on 4th bass!!!

Other stuff. I love the stadium.. I love the balloon launch from the local Spedie fest and Balloon Rally at the beginning of the show. The field is an awesome field to march on. The accoustics are great. The June bugs at the top of the stadium are not so great. I suggest not sitting in the very two 2-3 rows at this venue. There was a great crowd on hand.

We've lost drum corps in this area. It's really nice to see the corps perform. But what to me is even better... the fact that there are some people from this area marching in the corps that performed. High school kids and adults alike have to travel to be in the corps and I applaude those who can.

And one last mention. The drum corp community lost a great person back in Feb. I didn't get to see Benji and his wife but I grieve for them. My hearts and prayers go out to you both.

Thanks for coming to the show. Please make plans to come next year and bring a friend... we need all the fans there to continue this great show.

And Harry... next year... bring the Skyliners back with ya will ya?

:unsure: Loudest Bb horn line I ever heard

Really? Bush's champion brass line was truly loud - and quality - last year. To be louder than that would be no mean feat. 'Course, this year's Blue Team line is probably quite a bit larger, if the reports are accurate. (I'll personally know for sure at Prelims.)

3 upstate NY corps would be cool in open class Finals !

Yes, 'twould. It last happened in 2003: Brigs 2nd, Statesmen 3rd, Cru 9th. (Maybe White Sabers need to keep improving so there are 4 NY corps in Finals.)

Last time 3 NJ corps in Finals: 1999 (Cabs 5th, Bush 7th, Sun 8th), unless 2000 Skyliners count as NJ.

Last time 3 PA corps in Finals: 1990 (Westshore 4th, Bucs 7th, Steel City 8th).

Of course, I am limiting "Finals" to being Top 10 only. I know there have been 12 various times (and 13 once) in Finals.

Back to the thread topic: Was it dry in Binghamton this year? Thanks for the reviews, guys! It makes me feel like I was there.

Edited by Dale Bari

Really? Bush's champion brass line was truly loud - and quality - last year. To be louder than that would be no mean feat. 'Course, this year's Blue Team line is probably quite a bit larger, if the reports are accurate. (I'll personally know for sure at Prelims.)

Yes, 'twould. It last happened in 2003: Brigs 2nd, Statesmen 3rd, Cru 9th. (Maybe White Sabers need to keep improving so there are 4 NY corps in Finals.)

Last time 3 NJ corps in Finals: 1999 (Cabs 5th, Bush 7th, Sun 8th), unless 2000 Skyliners count as NJ.

Last time 3 PA corps in Finals: 1990 (Westshore 4th, Bucs 7th, Steel City 8th).

Of course, I am limiting "Finals" to being Top 10 only. I know there have been 12 various times (and 13 once) in Finals.

Back to the thread topic: Was it dry in Binghamton this year? Thanks for the reviews, guys! It makes me feel like I was there.

The weather was dry and quite nice!

I just want to personally and publicly thank :unsure::worthy::worthy: Dave Baker for all that he has done for the Spectrum organization over the years. Not only did he give us a shot at performing at DCI level competition in our own area but he has gone out of his way to help promote the corps and now the winterguard. I also want to thank :beer: Dave and :beer: Steve Shimes the announcer for the very public moment of silence for my daughter Jessie. Jessie marched Spectrum, Spectrum Winterguard, Royal Blue Winterguard and BlueCoats. What a wonderful way to honor her memory. Thank you guys.

Spectrum held its first reunion the afternoon of the Sounds on the Susquehanna and we had a wonderful time. Next year looks to be bigger. Dave made sure we had great seats. It was sure nice to be with the kids (actually all adults now) and relive the moments that caused them rememberance. Hope to see all you spectrumites next year.

A brief revue might be in order: I had a blast, saw some great drum corps and enjoyed a great day with my family and spectrumites. What could be better than that?

Good luck to all corps at DCA finals.

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Just for clarification, I would just like to state for the record that the Statesmen's 2007 Maynard production does in deed feature some very talented soloists who also march the show on the field and as such, they deserve to be recognized.

Jeff Gibbens does some drill work in both "Maria" and "Pagliacci". The "Taps for Maynard" solos are played by Shane Startzel and Jamie Gibbs, both of whom march the entire show and play the solos from the field, while marching drill. And finally, of the 7 featured soloists on the prop at the end of the MF Medley, 4 of them: Jamie Gibbs, Shane Startzel, Steve Pfeiffer and Jamie Orser, march the entire drill.

We at Empire are just amazingly lucky to have the good fortune to be able to add the tremendous talents of both Ritchee Price and Joey Pero to that mix. And for that distinct honor, we as a drum corps are eternally grateful.

Thank you to everyone who attended the show in Binghampton for being a most warm and welcoming audience. And thank you to those who posted reviews for your kind words about our show. We are encouraged to see that people are enjoying our tribute to the great Maynard Ferguson as much as we as a corps are enjoying performing it for you.

Yours in Drum Corps,

Regina Quinn

Empire Statesmen

Lead Mellophone