DCI WEB CAST

OK,

so from all the other topics on various webcasts throughout the season - I'M more than a little worried about this Friday's.

I'm actually investing in equipment to hook everything up to my big screen TV and I'll be having some friends over.

Guess I better invest in a lot of Beer - just in case.

Anyone else worried?

Later,

Mike

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK,

so from all the other topics on various webcasts throughout the season - I'M more than a little worried about this Friday's.

I'm actually investing in equipment to hook everything up to my big screen TV and I'll be having some friends over.

Anyone else worried?

Later,

Mike

I have done the same. Purchased S Video cable and have a party planned. Hope it works

I think we are all worried...especially after Saturday night. The first show in Annapolis was ok...there were issues but they were resolved. After that is was mostly sporadic problems...that for the most part...not always...were resolved by online tech support. Saturday was a disaster...the show was pretty much unwatchable. So yes...I'm worried.

I'm also worried about this: dci.org in general. Every Saturday when there has been a webcast the dci.org site in general has gone down at one point...sometimes for a hour at a time. This is a problem...a huge one that won't be resolved. This usually occurs at the end of the evening near the time when scores are announced and the site crashes from overload. Then many people have trouble logging back on to the webcast and they miss the scores and or encore. This to me is a problem...DCI cannot handle the amount of hits that it gets during these peak times.

I will be stocked with beer as well.

Edited by wxologist

After saturday's debacle, they better get this right or they're not going to get $90 from me next summer.

And I imagine that more people will be logging in for the DCI webcast than the others...so......

Better get even more beer, and shooters, and vodka - yeah that should do it!

Later,

Mike

OK,

Anyone else worried?

Later,

Mike

Better double the amount of beer. This will be the highest load on the website this year.

Could you imagine inviting your friends over to watch it after hooking it up to a big screen and surround sound system and THEN having problems?

Yes, you just imagined my life two days ago. I had about 10 people at my house waiting for the Stanford show when we encountered the myriad of prblems that we all experienced - the login difficulties, the sudden logoffs, the crappy video, the spotty sound, etc. We finally got a decent picture, but the sound never resolved itself.

Now imagine my humiliation while my friends were getting frustrated with me even though it wasn't my fault. :(

Thank you DCI. <**>

Edited by Flyboy1177

Better double the amount of beer. This will be the highest load on the website this year.

At least the theater broadcast will be maybe 100 streams to 20,000 people. The webcast will be 20,000 streams to 20,000 people, uh-oh.

Edited by 27Socal

Could you imagine inviting your friends over to watch it after hooking it up to a big screen and surround sound system and THEN having problems?

Yes, you just imagined my life two days ago. I had about 10 people at my house waiting for the Stanford show when we encountered the myriad of prblems that we all experienced - the login difficulties, the sudden logoffs, the crappy video, the spotty sound, etc. We finally got a decent picture, but the sound never resolved itself.

Now imagine my humiliation while my friends were getting frustrated with me even though it wasn't my fault. :(

Thank you DCI. <**>

Sounds like my Saturdy experience except I took my laptop on the road. I was at my Mom's place in Texas and we planned the whole evening around watching the show on the big screen. What a let down that was for everyone there.

I'm also worried about this: dci.org in general. Every Saturday when there has been a webcast the dci.org site in general has gone down at one point...sometimes for a hour at a time. This is a problem...a huge one that won't be resolved. This usually occurs at the end of the evening near the time when scores are announced and the site crashes from overload. Then many people have trouble logging back on to the webcast and they miss the scores and or encore. This to me is a problem...DCI cannot handle the amount of hits that it gets during these peak times.

This is the effect of one of their problematic new site design. The new site is so graphics and flash heavy that DCI is pushing out about half a meg of content for every page load. When you've got people refreshing the page frequently checking for scores (and opening up around 40 connections per refresh for all the graphics and media extras) your site is gonna tank fast unless you've got a mechanism to balance the load between your servers.

Honestly, it's just poor design.

Edited by MagicBobert