Question

Simple question... not meant to be a big slam on this corps, just seems like there is something wrong with this picture.

Why is it whenever the Cadets rip off a marching band show, they are either on top or very very close to it?

2005, ripped off Mona Shores High School... Marc Sylvester wrote their drill that year and took the program idea and did almost the exact same show (including music) with the "innovative" Cadets show in 2005.

2007, exact same show concept done by Kennesaw Mountain 2 or 3 years ago. They did it to a marching band season, Cadets are doing it to a drum corps season.

Now, believe me, this is not sour grapes against the Cadets or anything, I have no reason to have sour grapes with them. I just think it's a little odd that everytime they rip off a marching band show, they either win or are in the running for the title and get credit for being "innovative" to the marching activity.

....aaaaaaaaand discuss.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple question... not meant to be a big slam on this corps, just seems like there is something wrong with this picture.

Why is it whenever the Cadets rip off a marching band show, they are either on top or very very close to it?

2005, ripped off Mona Shores High School... Marc Sylvester wrote their drill that year and took the program idea and did almost the exact same show (including music) with the "innovative" Cadets show in 2005.

2007, exact same show concept done by Kennesaw Mountain 2 or 3 years ago. They did it to a marching band season, Cadets are doing it to a drum corps season.

Now, believe me, this is not sour grapes against the Cadets or anything, I have no reason to have sour grapes with them. I just think it's a little odd that everytime they rip off a marching band show, they either win or are in the running for the title and get credit for being "innovative" to the marching activity.

....aaaaaaaaand discuss.

Kennesaw Mountain's show was similar, but not spot-on the same. The Cadets show seems to focus a lot on the values associated with drum corps, and then on one particular member's experience. I recall KM's show as being more "this is why I love band" through and through. And also lots of props. And a killer hornline for both shows.

As for the Mona Shores show...can anyone else confirm/deny? Quite an accusation if it's true.

If Marc Sylvester designed the show for that high school, then I'd hardly call it "ripping off". He's simply taking his idea from own show to another. I've seen The Cavaliers try out ideas at the high school level first, then use them to win DCI championships. No biggie.

As for the Cadets this year, I'm with you that the show concept isn't anything especially new. Kennesaw in 2004 and Westfield in 2003 both had success with very similar programs. I really enjoyed seeing Kennesaw's show at Grand Nationals, and there are parts of the Cadets show that I really enjoy as well.

Whatever was done before at the high school level, drum corps as an activity has so many advantages that the top corps are always going to be a step above the top bands. For that reason alone, I have no problem if a show designer designates to take a marching band idea to the next level. All that should matter is, does the show entertain you?

I'm certainly no big fan of Hoppy. But even I wouldn't put the Cadets in the same sentence with a high school marching band. Who knows? Maybe they just wanted to show the kiddies how it's done.

As far as the Mona Shores thing, yes I can promise that's true... I know the other designers and directors for that school. They were the ones that came up with the concept and choices for the show. He wrote the drill. I do consider using the same music and concept ripping off if you are the drill writer.

Blue Devils 2005 was an expansion on a winterguard show done a few years earlier by James Logan HS.