Booing and the Cadets

The Cavaliers did just fine without the hashes.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw this movie called "Idiocracy" last night. By Mike Judge, the guy that did Beavis & Butthead and Office Space. Funny movie. One of those Dumb funnymovies.

Anyway, the premis is the movie is set 500 years into the future. The "Cops" "Jerry Springer" mentality has taken over the world. With no natural predators, the human race has progressively dumbed down. "Language is a mix of grunts, Valley Girl and Inner city slang."

There's a scene where they're in a court of law. Every decision the judge made, there were Jerry Springer-like cheers or boos coming from the "audience' of toothless white trash & gang banger hoodlums.

I don't know... it just sorta reminded me of finals night.

Maybe this is what we're becoming.

That movie sounds a lot like the people on here and in the crowds! (And humanity in general, really...)

That movie sounds a lot like the people on here and in the crowds! (And humanity in general, really...)

That's why in one of my posts in the 10,000 cadets/booing threads, I said in general society is becoming increasingly tacky, gouche, rude, crude. They have no ability to understand how to behave in court, a restaurant, a movie or the ballet. Drum Corps fans are no different. (And sorry, George Dixon...I've encountered this rudeness and tackiness at drum corps shows across the country.)

I still think the "I was booing Hopkins, not the Cadets" mantra is about as lame as it get.

Anyone whose performed on a field knows that crowd reaction, negative or positive, effects how you perform and if they think their booing had no effect on the performers, they're either stupid or dellusional or both.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

Rent or Netflix it if you get the chance...it's a neat little movie that didn't get too much exposure at the box office, but is a nice piece of satire on the state of popular culture (the easter eggs in the advertisements is worth it alone).

So we have an actual Cadet member stating

• "After four years of marching drum corps, Quarterfinals night 2007 was the worst performance emotionally that I have ever felt."
  • "It will stand as my worst drum corps experience, and I hope another corps will never have to go through a performance with what that crowd put us through."
  • "It felt horrible and disgusting."
  • "We received those boos as boos towards us."
  • "The laughing, the heckling, the obnoxious comments through out the whole show....we felt towards us."
  • "And it did negatively impact our performance and we all knew it."

And Dan's response?

I'd say this young person should suck it up and celebrate being 2nd place in DCI while there are many young people who didnt have the privilege of being even in the top 12.

If it were anybody else, I'd be asking "Are you friggin' kidding?!?!" But I know he's dead serious. <**>

It doesn't matter what place they got. It doesn't matter what corps. It doesn't matter how much anybody thinks they hate the director. Booing when those young men and women are on the field is totally unacceptable. And for somebody to suggest that they should just "suck it up and celebrate being in 2nd place" is sickening (albeit a predictably classless response from this particular poster).

That's why in one of my posts in the 10,000 cadets/booing threads, I said in general society is becoming increasingly tacky, gouche, rude, crude. They have no ability to understand how to behave in court, a restaurant, a movie or the ballet. Drum Corps fans are no different. (And sorry, George Dixon...I've encountered this rudeness and tackiness at drum corps shows across the country.)

I still think the "I was booing Hopkins, not the Cadets" mantra is about as lame as it get.

Anyone whose performed on a field knows that crowd reaction, negative or positive, effects how you perform and if they think their booing had no effect on the performers, they're either stupid or dellusional or both.

Yeah, and when that Cadets member posted their thoughts on Thursday's events, they specifically posted that they felt the booing, yelling, etc. was directed towards them and it hurt them very much. The majority of DCP who booed for "Hopkinds, not the Cadets", aren't responding to these statements, so it's really hilarious to watch; these "adults" rant and complain and whine, yet can't have a civil discussion... It's really sad to watch.

This thread has pretty much devolved into personal snipes, and we don't seem to be covering a lot of new ground....multi-page threads like this tend to sink under their own weight after a while.

If someone has another angle on this they want to discuss, feel free to open a thread concerning it.

Closed for now...please PM if you have questions. :)