The Cadets at Quarterfinals

I just got back from the Stadium, I thought the Hop was out of line brow beating Acheson after the score was read. I do believe the penalty was just beacause they already entered the field and then left then antered again. Although the bow to the audience was funny. I can see if it was a rain or lightning issue like at Tempe Last Saturday, but lightened Hashmarks on the field is no reason to pull your guys off of the field. And then moan to the Exec Dir after you get a penalty assesed

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his reason for wanting the hashes repainted was justified. He just should have done it BEFORE the corps was in their opening set and ready to go. Or possibly even before they even set foot on the field. I understand the reasoning, not the timing. And if he was angry about the penalty then he needs to get over it because you know what, Drum Corps isn't about the points. It's about putting on the perfect show and having the crowd go nuts. If they love you then thats all that matters. My heart goes out to the preformers.

And as for the booing. Yeah people get angry but don't boo the corps. It's not their fault the director made a bad decision. Don't boo, complain to Mr. Hopkins directly. Write a letter, and email. Just don't boo the preformers. I've been doing drum corps for the past 5 years and i've never been booed, but I can't even imagine how hard it must be on a preformer. Unless you can get on that field and be uneffected by a sizeable crowd booing at you then SHUT UP!

Edited by drummerboy87

Should they have been penalized for wanting the field properly marked...no

Should they have been penalized for having the tackiest show to hit the DCI field since Star played the theme from Mickey Mouse Club...YES!

05's field is the reason why they repaint during intermission. Check out any pics/vids from semis/finals.... between the 35's are all brown.

You're right. Choosing to grow and mature has something to do with it. Give me a break. It's a youth artistic activity.

No, it is a youth competitive activity using marching music. If it were just about art, I don't think we'd even be having Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Finals. We simply have a big exhibition for the art of it and be done.

Edited by Tekneek

As a band director and corps instructor, I agree with what Hopkins did, penalty be ######. The last thing I want is a kid to get injured.

There seemed to be a large number of falls tonight. I want to know why the field quality is not at a higher level. At least I hope that field conditions for shows should be addressed at the winter meetings.

When I marched in Regiment, much of our visual philosophy was Cadets based (as well as a number of our Visual Staff). The one thing that Johnny Sanchez preached to us that the field markings would be the one constant we could and should rely upon. I remember many times using my periphial vision checking on hash marks and yard lines.

Thank you for the common sense post. I wish people would give up their bias against The Cadets. This is something that affected all corps tonight. I would be just as furious if it happened to any other corps.

okay,so I just read on here that Cavies had 2 or 3 falls. Didn't they go on right before Cadets? If so,then I don't blame GH for asking for better field conditions at all. Though I will agree he should've done it as soon as the Cavies left the field and not once his corp was already on.

Cavies had a fall but it had nothing to do with the hashmarks the falls were on the fron sideline area of the field.

Lets face it, Hopkins blew it tonight.

if there had been no lines or hashes his kids could have done the show.

At the level the Cadets are at, faded hashes are just not a big deal.

If he was worried about the hashes he should have checked them before he marched the corps out.

Even if relining was 100% necessary he went about it the wrong way.

He impacted not only his own corps but the Blue Devils as well.

Cadets fully deserved the 2 point penalty he brought down on them as would any other corps that did the same thing.

As with so many things Hopkins may have had the right idea but went about it the completely wrong way.

I have a feeling that if the Cadets did not march onto the field and then leave, that it would have been fine.

They got the penalty because they marched out onto the field, timing started, and then they left.

Personally, I think the Cadets could have gotten through it. The Cadets did their entire show at the Olympics in '96, without yard lines and hash marks. If they really are as good as the Cadets of the past, you should allow them to play it out. It is, after all, drum corps.

Bottom line: The booing was horrible, so was the laughing at that Trumpet player during the narration. I could tell he was embarassed. Imagine that you're in his spot, that you are self-conscious and warn out from all-days and tour. The worst thing to happen, that you could imagine, is for people to laugh at you. Hopkins was wrong with the way he did things. He should always check out the field condition before having the corps step off the gate. The penalty was correct.

Besides-In 99 BD performed in a blackout. No problems at all...

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

No, it is a youth competitive activity using marching music. If it were just about art, I don't think we'd even be having Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Finals. We simply have a big exhibition for the art of it and be done.

You marched corps. How would you feel if there were boos before your performance. Regardless of if it was intended for your director, it would still suck. Put yourself in their shoes before you act like that way.