Andy Poor - Activist Judge...

It would be nice to see corps just get a number, rather than having to leave space for the top or not leaving space. Ties are ok!

LOL...I notice your username is cavalier1995, not cadet2000 or bluedevil1996!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another thought: you have no idea how to judge a show.

Nice assumption about me, considering I am certified to judge percussion in a local circuit of mine. Please, since you have a crystal ball, go ahead and tell me where i'll be in 5 years. :worthy:

Yes, maybe his numbers management skills weren't the greatest, but there are still two tenths that were left over, had he chosen to use them - and he did not.

It would be nice to see corps just get a number, rather than having to leave space for the top or not leaving space. Ties are ok!

No, ties are NOT ok. The job of an adjudicator is make a decision regarding placement based on the criteria, not to tie groups when the decision is too tough.

Nice assumption about me, considering I am certified to judge percussion in a local circuit of mine. Please, since you have a crystal ball, go ahead and tell me where i'll be in 5 years. :worthy:

Yes, maybe his numbers management skills weren't the greatest, but there are still two tenths that were left over, had he chosen to use them - and he did not.

2 tenths for 4 groups.

I'm not going to disagree with you on that. He should have used his numbers better.

Bottom line though, is that there were those two tenths.

No, ties are NOT ok. The job of an adjudicator is make a decision regarding placement based on the criteria, not to tie groups when the decision is too tough.

And, after watching the performances, what if a judge feels that two groups are at an equal level of achievement? Does this mean the judge is not qualified?

LOL...I notice your username is cavalier1995, not cadet2000 or bluedevil1996!

Ok, let me refine my statement.

I don't have a problem with ties in the sub captions. Total score? Of course!

But a judge giving two 9.9's with three more corps left to go on... if you're going to play the 'you have to leave room at the top' game, then obviously he didn't. Thus, I don't mind ties happening in subcaptions.

Questionable? Curious? sure, but to those that have not been through the training and are not right next to the judge, hearing exactly what they hear, it's not in our expertise to say "bad".

It's not like he gave them a 20.0 in brass (like what Blue Devils got at Quarterfinals in 2004). THAT was questionable management. Whoever the judge was that night (though I will laugh my butt off if it turns out to be Andy Poor) gave The Cavaliers (who went second to last that night) a 19.9, probably thinking he had heard the best brass for the evening. Instead, Blue Devils went last, impressed that judge in a manner that was apparently not worthy of a 19.9 tie, so he had no choice to give a 20.0 to them.

At least with Bluecoats (who have been at or near top in brass all summer) he gave a 19.8, allowing a little more wiggle room should something better come along. Besides, no one else scored higher than Bluecoats. The next closest was 0.2 behind them (Blue Devils, who went on last I might add), so I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.

The score I'm somewhat hesitant to agree with (purely based on what I recall from San Antonio) is the Carolina Crown brass score. 19.10? 0.7 behind the leader and 6th place? I full admit I wasn't there, so it could have been an off-night, the judges could be looking for technical things I'll never understand, etc. However, Carolina Crown has a great blend and overal sound, and I struggle with agreeing that The Cadets, The Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment are better than them. I would (on any night I've heard them) have Carolina Crown in at least the top 3. But perhaps that is why I am not a judge.

Edited by pags