Andy Poor - Activist Judge...

My only problem is that he had Cadets 5th in brass. That is crazy to me! Their hornline this year is one of the best I've ever heard! Maybe Bluecoats should've beaten them last night, but...Phantom, BD, and Cavies beating them too? nah...

If a 9.6 and a 9.6 get's you 5th .. it only means that competition is stiff. Look at those numbers.... a 96% is 5th place and a 99% is 1st. That just means that any one of these lines can pop a number on any given night. Heck .. Crown had a 9.6 and a 9.5 for 6th. Does that tell you anything?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, ties are NOT ok. The job of an adjudicator is make a decision regarding placement based on the criteria, not to tie groups when the decision is too tough.

Heh, guess you believe no one can have an equally good performance...

Even so, with that .2 left, the combination to tie had two options, and 3 options to win.

10.0 - 9.8, 9.8 - 10 for ties

10.0 - 9.9, 9.9 - 10.0, 10.0 - 10.0 to win.

I Like Andy, He's one of a few Judges out there who is not afraid to call it like he sees it. He has been Judging for a long time and is currently the Brass Caption Chair for DCI.

In terms of numbers mangement.... i can see what people are saying about not leaving room etc. But there is one slight flaw in that thinking and that is, as someone mentioned earlier , WHAT IF there were a corps sitiing in 6th place with an outstanding section.... If they go on 6th from the end do they deserve a max caption score of 19.5? ( 5 corps remaing to perform). This maybe a little outlandish but you see what i am trying to say?

What ever happened to corps that could win drums and not make finals?

( ya ya i know the tic system died off 20 odd years ago).

Bluecoats clearly have an incredible brassline this year. But when they go on fourth from last, and they get a 9.9 in tech, and a 9.9 in mus, there is is no question that they've practically been selected to win brass for the night. Andy Poor may have gone into that contest with a severe lack of numbers management skills, but given his long experience as an adjudicator, I seriously doubt this is the case. Rather, I think he went in with the intention of giving them first place in brass, regardless of what the four corps following them might do.

the brass scoring was "interesting" last night / IMO it will sort itself out tonight

You make a valid point - he did not leave enough "spaces" for remaining units... bad form for a judge

What I don't understand here is that eveyone pisses and moans about slotting, yet when a judge gives a number "based on the performance of that group, that night, in a vacuum" (which is the paraphrased version of the anti-slotting folks, btw) those same folks get all twisted about that.

Based on the logic in this thread, sounds like people don't want a corps that has been consistently scoring well in brass to get a number that they deserve just because of the time slot in which they perform?

I think that any judge my have to balance the fact that just because a corps does not go on last, he may have just seen the best performance in his caption for the night, which is probably what happened last night. (I don't necessarily agree, but hey, I am not a judge!) If that's the case, then they should get the number.

Even if there were two tenths left - who deserves a perfect 20? There isn't a single group that is absolutely perfect. The problem must be in the numbers management. Scores are too high.

If you know the sheets then you know you don't need to be perfect to score a 20 in a caption. this is a build up system that DCI uses.

It would be nice to see corps just get a number, rather than having to leave space for the top or not leaving space. Ties are ok!

A B S O L U T E LY!! Thank you...Ive felt the same for some time now

Even if there were two tenths left - who deserves a perfect 20? There isn't a single group that is absolutely perfect. The problem must be in the numbers management. Scores are too high.

Now that I can agree with.