Andy Poor - Activist Judge...

I love that it is so hard to understand that every night there SHOULD be the option of having a DIFFERENT "winner."

Plus, as many others pointed out, Coats did have a great brass line this year.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe here's a thought... god forbid... they deserved it?

maybe they did....but I think what some people are getting at, is that he could've still rewarded them best brass that night but gave them a smaller number. Like say for instance a 19.4 that way you do have room for four other corps if they are better that night. And if the other four corps are not....then you put them all under the 19.4.......by popping a 19.8 with 4 corps left doesnt give you much room, so now your left with the hopes that the other corps' hornlines dont come out on fire that night. Especially with 2 shows left after that, giving a corps 5th from the end a 19.8 just seems to be bad number managment....or your very very very sure of what all the honrlines are bringing to the table that night. I dont doubt Bluecoats werent deserving of winning brass that night, they were an elite hornline all season constantly winning and rightfully so (they sounded amazing)....but I'm sure DCI put him under the microscope after that especially since the other 2 brass judges didnt have them in the top 3 for brass semis and finals. Not saying any of the three guys were right or wrong, but it might raise a red flag.

The Bluecoats simply played incredibly well this year. Deal with it...

Other captions were wonky from night to night finals week too, if I recall... Let's not all just go attackin' poor Andy! I mean, Andy Poor...

Judges have to be prepared for EVERY possible situation that can arise, and each successive corps topping the one before is only ONE possible outcome. So, while highly unlikely, there is a small probability that a hypothetical-10th place corps, who performs 3rd at finals, might have a "perfect" show in a particular caption. ARe we really for the kind of number management philosophy that makes a judge feel the best number he can give in this situation is a 9.1, simply because he has to view 9 more units? I sure hope not.

Well, then, you contradict yourself. What would you do if you gave out a 10 with nine corps yet to perform, and then discovered that one or more of the subsequent corps outperformed the "10" corps?

Here's the thing Andy is a Bilderberger...He had no choice! If he didn't put those scores down the Mason's would have dropped him 20 levels. In turn his family could no longer be a part of protecting the Grail.

heck I remember in 83 when Sandra ( last name escapes me) was judging marching side 1 and the other judge side 2 and we had the tick system. They scored within .10 of each other for almost every corps. We were pretty sure in 9 months she would be having the other judge's baby! B)

Edited by taters

What ever happened to corps that could win drums and not make finals?

( ya ya i know the tic system died off 20 odd years ago).

Can't resist. The corps folded in '95, but we're celebrating the 30th anniversary Oct. 27th at De La Salle College.

www.delasalle-drumcorps.com

Regards,

John Swartz