Is DCI Dying?

So your whole deal is it's all interest and no fact...

If that is the case, then how come I don't see Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Muchachos, Ambassadors, Belleville Black Knights, Black Watch Highland Regiment, Bristol Kingsmen, Crusaders of Ottawa, Eau Claire Sundowners, Selden Cadets, St. Rocco's Cadets, Suncoast Sound, Surfers, Swords Excaliber, The Knights, Woodsiders, Capital Regiment, and Magic on the list for competing corps'????

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe one's pageantry palette is dying when all one watches are historic performances and all one thinks about are the 'traditions' of the past.

The young people in the activity today are more versed in their historic past than any other comparable activity if there is such a thing. And they will look back on their seasons similarly.

I'll ask this rhetorically; who will have the courage to perform a true-to-the-past-rules Color Pre and how will the crowd respond?

I was on the field last summer in Walnut CA with AK and I watched as the crowd arose as one when we started Johnny . . made my knees weak.

I fell in love with drumcorps in 1976 so naturally I am biased towards the older shows. I really have no interest in all of the dancing and prancing these days. But a killer rifle toss or a nice, super clean snare riff will still get me fired up. And a huge wall of sound will get the hairs on my neck standing up. That is what keeps me interested. I just tune out what I don't like and tune in to what I do.

So your whole deal is it's all interest and no fact...

If that is the case, then how come I don't see Bridgemen, etc.

Because their organizations fell apart. No one came from DCI and pulled any plug.

There are new corps coming on the scene now.

Dying? Hardly. Evolving, yeah.

There were and are many contributing factors to why corps have folded, gone on permanent inactivity. Rising gas prices in the 1970s and 1980s pushed many budgets to the limits. It was becoming more expensive to sponsor a corps without much money coming in but from coffers of church members, veterans, and the like.

The corps that could find other means of fundraising (bingo, car washes, corporate sponsorships) were able to stay afloat. Even then, some had to go inactive to strengthen their financial stability (Blue Stars, Troopers). You are also now starting to see some of these fundraisers starting to disappear with smoking bans in public places (re: bingo halls).

You also run into financial mis-management of some organizations (more recent foldings, inactivity). This is a problem you see in many, and I mean many, for and non-profit corporations.

And for some other foldings, just a general loss in membership.

i'm wondering how many times i've seen this question posed since I started following drum corps back in '97?

:laugh:

I tried to search it using DCPs search but none of the other 400 threads titled "Is DCI Dying" came up.. :shrug:

maybe we were dreaming all those others?

it could very well be possible....

nah. :laugh:

Going through the long list of corps' that have folded due to things DCI has control over or just money issues of sorts, what do you think? Taking that farther, has it already died from the 70s traditions that started it all? Things need to change, but are there other ways of doing it that don't change absolutely everything about drum corps?

Something else to think about:

Should another division of drum corps be opened up with old style rules?? This would keep the traditions alive and running.

Think about it. Reply. Take action.

Thanks,

CB

it's sad but some things to come to an end. My father marched in some corps that in their day, were the badded mo fo's around! Skokie indians, Men of Brass, my grandfather was DM of the Com. Ed drum and bugle corps who back then, did nothing but whoop everyone! Time change, leadership gets passed on, and funds can vanish! Hey, Sr. corps. used to be the big thing and Jr. corps wasn't that big. Not sr. corps is more for the ones that can't let go and Jr corps. is the hot ticket. Times just change...

with the introduction of ESPN carrying DCI on tv, no no, not dyin, GROWING

I don't approve of many of the things that is changing drum corps, not because its changing, just because i dont like it. DCA is where it's at for me.