A rock and a hard place

I like the concept of the cadets show, and obviously the narration adds to the general effect....its kind of overpowering at points, but I like the drill and music, especially blue shades. It will be interesting to see who pulls it out in the end! I'll be happy with whoever!

I disagree completely. The Cadet's narration is so bad that I was laughing at it during quarter finals along with most of the rest of the crowd in the theater. Their narration comes off as preachy and amateurish and really undercuts the musical and visual excellence of the corps.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B.D.

Boring Drill?

And in response to the person that said they haven't seen so much movement in drill in many years I am totally blown away. Check out Cavaliers from... any year? Bluecoats moved more than BD too. (I haven't seen Cadets so I can't comment). I would laugh if any other corps tried to march drill half as difficult (and exciting) as Cavaliers 04, 03, 02 so on and so forth.

No No #12 please.

One easy example: I didn't see a single geometric block of any kind, which all other corps in the top 12 have in spades, and in which it's easy to see dirt. Rather, they have just a series of BOA level curvy lines, lots of follow the leader, and a lower average BPM than the rest of the top 12, all of which are the easiest to clean.

IMO, geometric drill does not equate to harder. Some of the hardest drill I had to march involved "curvy" re-shapes. Sometimes, what may look hard from the stands is actually easier, just as what may look easy to an outsider is a royal pain to pull off from the field.

hahaha.. a nice thought.. but I don't know if it could happen. Both Cadets and BD would have to have severe blowouts .. and I just don't think that's going to happen..

Stef

I'd be OK with a Cavaliers' win. I think it's possible to win with Billy Joel. Why not? At least they march their socks off, take risks, expose themselves to being dirty in their drill.

Follow the leader and wavy lines and park and blow just don't cut it for me.

I want to be blown away by the technical wizardry and execution of the DCI champion, whoever it is.

So GO BLOOO! Maybe the most entertaining show of the top 12. And tough stuff to march and play.

Tusayan said: "The Cadet's narration is so bad that I ..."

So, to my post earlier, if there was a more definitive adjucation criteria (e.g., "minus 2 tenths within GE caption -- negatively detracts from ...") and by virtue of such judging guidance diminished their overall score to a more balanced appraisal range, would that address your concern or issue?

In my opinion, the OP doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. BD's show easy?? Yeah, right.

That being said, I won't be happy with the champion unless Bluecoats or Phantom or Vanguard or Crown somehow magically jump up to first place. I like the Blue Devils show, absolutely hate the Cadets' show because of the narration (brilliant execution of marching and playing though..), and am indifferent about the Cavies show, but lean towards not liking it very much. Another 2005....ho-hum...(That's not really true because I like a lot more of the top 6 shows this year than in 2005, but still...)

WHY WOULD'NT YOU WANT BD TO PLAY HARDER SHOWS? ITS LAME THEY DON'T. ITS LIKE A PRO FOOTBALL TEAM WITH AN ALL STAR QB AND 3 JERRY RICE'S AND ALL THEY DO IS RUN THE BALL. WOULD THAT MAKE SENSE?

Actually, I think there's plenty of demand in BD's shows ... and is there a particular REASON YOU ARE SHOUTING?

I want My Devils to win as much as any Devils fan. But, last night.Whew! The Cadets came out with an attitiude! And, they have a show that is technically more difficult than ours, marching, brass and guard. If we get the right judges we'll win. If they get the judges they'll win. We are both going to be at our best

Oh, Don't the best judges judge finals?

Probably the most insightful post of the thread. Any corps could have won tonight...the blue devils did, and i have no problem with it. IMO, no corps had a perfect show this year - bd left me flat at the end, cadets narration was far from perfect, and cavies werent up to par (for me). Someone had to make a call, and they did. Congrats to the blue devils ^0^ (in blue)

Edited by euponitone