Mike Boo interviews Cadets' first drum major

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't play for me. :(

Thanks. It was an amazing honor to talk with him. I'll be having a print interview with him on DCI.org next week.

89 years young! A wonderful look back. Well done!

89 years young! A wonderful look back. Well done!

Are you Willard Scott? Because I imagined it in that voice.

That video was amazing! I love how when asked about any innovations he doesn't like he says, "Backwards marching."

Thanks Michael Boo and Thank You Blue Devils! Have an amazing performance tonight!

Michael Boo, you are my hero for this interview.

Sometimes something just falls in one's lap. But thank you. The honor is mine.

Great interview, Mike!

Both you and John were terrific! :blink:

Sometimes something just falls in one's lap. But thank you. The honor is mine.

Mike:

So true ... This was an amazing event and even more amazing set of circumstances that came together to allow this interview to take place. In addition to many thanks for your outstanding interview work (and your friendship of 30 years, almost to the date), there are a couple of other folks who should also be mentioned:

Sincere thanks to:

Mrs. Nellie Van Houten, Mr. Baumfalk's sister, and her son Ralph Van Houten, who so patiently agreed to stick around with Mr. Baumfalk well after the show was over so that we could do the interview ...

1950's (Holy Name) Cadet Alum and venerable Drum Corps Journalist, Dave Shaw, for bringing John Baumfalk to our attention and for facilitating the introductions that led to the Interview ...

1970's (Garfield) Cadet Alum John Hannigan, for his usual wit and moral support ...

1970's Blue Devil's Alum and Board Member Jeff DeMello, for being open to the idea of trying this and sticking around after the show to do the taping ...

and finally, to John Baumfalk himself for giving so generously of his time, experience and humor in agreeing to the interview after what had been an extremely long and tiring night.

I recall one night in 1990 when Dave Shaw was talking about his belief that, at its best, Drum Corps should be an activity of friends coming together for a common purpose based on what unites, rather than divides, us. That's exactly what happened Thursday night ... Five friends, from four different corps, spanning multiple generations, coming together to document the experiences of a gentleman who is a living treasure in our common Drum Corps heritage.

It was an example of that "Activity of Friends" Dave Shaw was talking about, operating at its finest and, this I believe. It was inspiring to be a part of it.

Edited by DCIHasBeen