AND NO SHARING THIS TIME :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AND California's 30th

How do you arrive at 30?

West: 72, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 86, 89, 94, 96, 97, 99, 99, 03, 07 = 19

East: 83, 84, 85, 87, 90, 93, 98, 00, 05 = 9

Midwest: 75, 88, 91, 92, 95, 96, 00, 01, 02, 04, 06 = 11

19 + 9 + 11 = 39

(36 Championships held) + (3 ties) = 39.

Thank God Californians can play and march! Leave the mathematics to us!

How do you arrive at 30?

West: 72, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 86, 89, 94, 96, 97, 99, 99, 03, 07 = 19

East: 83, 84, 85, 87, 90, 93, 98, 00, 05 = 9

Midwest: 75, 88, 91, 92, 95, 96, 00, 01, 02, 04, 06 = 11

19 + 9 + 11 = 39

(36 Championships held) + (3 ties) = 39.

Thank God Californians can play and march! Leave the mathematics to us!

How many VFW championships went to California corps?

A great end to a great season! Even though my corps-of-choice didn't win, being gracious in defeat is just as important in the "big picture". Congrats to the 2007 Champs! I'm sure you made Cali proud! :tic:

How many VFW championships went to California corps?

*sigh*

keeping it in NorCal, nice one devs B)

it must be considered an anomaly that SCV's percussion numbers weighed down the corps. from reading here, mighta been more staging than the performers.

the blue (word GR used) win with Cali cool & clean. Clean wins. It's not what you do, it's how well you do it.

That's what they talk about up there, how to win drum corps shows.

*sigh*

keeping it in NorCal, nice one devs B)

it must be considered an anomaly that SCV's percussion numbers weighed down the corps. from reading here, mighta been more staging than the performers.

the blue (word GR used) win with Cali cool & clean. Clean wins. It's not what you do, it's how well you do it.

That's what they talk about up there, how to win drum corps shows.

That's kind of the point - "BITD" the first BD undefeated streak ended in prelims at DCI West in Boise in 1977 - there were people who had worn the (second) old uni (thie first was the classic Simplicity 8711 blue silk blouse) and never been beaten in over two years. I remember hearing SCV screaming down in the stands and then the score was announced.

So we had "THE MEETING".

We were told two things:

1 - "hype is a lie" - everything you get has to be earned - if someone is better than you then they are better - get over it and get back to work.

2 - "you work you ### off, you put a monster on the field and you defy the judge to hit you. THAT'S how we do things."

So, we came back and won finals that night

I was doing equipment and was on the sideline when Cadet/Garfield topped us by .1 in 1984 - we won most of the performance captions and were beaten by a wave of innovation that is still driving the activity today. You shake the hand of the winner and move on - everyone handles it how they can, some well, some badly (there's video of a mellophone flying at Miami when the score was announced in 1983).

There have been 35 DCI Finals - BD has won 12 - or been defeated 23 times. After winning the first one is 1976 Mel Stratton observed: "you know, someday, someone else is going to figure out how to do this" and they have.

Personally, I suspect change is coming and that the "Tinkers to Evers to Chance" little trio is going to change...

...and that will be good. Right now, its a fight to get into finals again - it was almost a fight for the title ( /partisan).

Before I marched BD I marched in the Valiant Knights of Enid, OK - we took 2nd at the 1975 VFW Championships in LA (watched the first PBS show on a little B&W tv)...there were members of the Kingsmen there, selling T-shirts that said "still alive in 75" - here was a group of kids who had won the very first championship and were there three years later, fighting to keep their corps alive.

We didn't expect to win but second was still a little dissappointing - marching out through the souvie area I was looking down at the ground.

"DON'T LOOK DOWN! DON'T EVER LOOK DOWN!!" - was barked out at me from a BIG guy selling shirts at the Kingsmen's table. "NEVER LOOK DOWN, EVER!"

The lessons are applicable to any corps at any level - you do your dead level best - "give your soul to touch their hearts" (Dominic Champagne, The Fire Within) and then walk away proud.

So yeah, I would have been sad if Cadets had won (I rather liked the narration, if also found it a little arch on occasion) and I would have gotten over it because I know for dead cold certain that the Blue Devils - and every kid in every corps from the smallest Div. III on up - had done their level best and any activity that gives them that opportunity has to be cherished.

And for me, that's always been the lesson for Sunday, the morning after finals - before I had my coffee, before everyone went home.

Thanks, everyone - see you next year.

Go BD!

regards - Jim

and for being from California.

And of course they didn't master what they did musically and visually!! Sheesh!! How bloody disrespectful can you be?

Way to go Blue Devils. As a former NorCal competitor and now fan, way to go!! I am proud to call myself a Devs Supporter!!