alto92's Finals Review

Hey all - this is my first review ever, and I'm writing since there isn't one yet. Given that I have the privilege of living about 5 minutes from the Rose Bowl, I feel like I should repay the karma king a little bit.

I'm a fan since '97, my first Div I show being SCV 1997, and I've been absolutely obsessed ever since. I marched one year in 2003, and became a band director to stay in the game and spread my love for music, art, and creativity in general. This is my perspective, so take the bias as you will. Also, this is all from memory, so if I write a bunch about one corps and not so much about another, it's because that's just how I remember them.

The Rose Bowl as a stadium was not the best one for drum corps, to say the least. By the time you're up high enough to see anything, you're so far from the front sideline, the sound is a bit washed out. That said, I don't know if another venue around here would have been able to hold as many people as were there. Having been to the Rose Bowl many times for UCLA games, I'm willing to estimate that there were 30,000 there last night. I don't know if Qualcomm seats that many on a concert side. As for traffic, Google maps is your friend. I was able to go from my apartment in Glendale to my seats int he Rose Bowl in 22 minutes. Not at all an issue for me.

First up, Spirit. Nice job from a corps that appears pretty young. There were mistakes from the hornline - missed attacks, bad releases, etc., but I though they put out an overall strong performance. For me, the colorguard was stronger than the rest of the corps, including design of the show. It'll be exciting to see how they do next year, if they return most of that youth. Great show and congrats on making finals!

Next was Colts, who impressed me all 3 nights. Strong hornline, good guard, aggressive drums, and a well balanced pit. The new uniform works well for them, as I think their marching needs a tad bit of work. I remember being impressed with the velocity of some of the drill. When corps do music that have been done by other corps before, I'm always happy to see a new take on it. The Bartok string quartet arrangement was original and well performed. Great job Colts, keep it going next year!

Glassmen were next. I really really tried hard to get into this show, and it definitely grew on me over the 3 nights. Guard recovered from an awful semifinals performance and performed with some great energy. I'm still not sure the show hangs together all that well for me, but I appreciate the conviction with which the performers sold their show. I remember a tasty drumline and a pretty well balanced hornline, with tone quality issues and the inherent intonation issues that come along with them. Overall, very entertaining, great performances - really stepped it up each night.

Unfortunately I missed Boston Crusaders due to a food/drink accident that needed cleaning up,

Blue Knights were one of my favorite corps of the night. The corps continues to do what they do very well, and that's to innovate on the side of using the hornline as a visual element. They do it more and better than any other corps. I was sitting with my girlfriend who is a guard coach and a dance major, and even she was impressed with some of the things they were doing. More on this later, though. The show was fantastically conceived, and wasn't shy about anything it was doing. A show that was unafraid to commit to a moment and let it develop, this is by far one of the most artistic presentations I have seen live on a drum corps field. Here's the bad news: I can only imagine how much time they needed to spend on teaching the hornline how to dance. Make no mistake, they were dancing, not just sticking their arms and legs out. How much time did they lose perfecting the musical end of the show. The musical presentation was great, but it lacked a sense of refinement that would have made this show challenge for a higher placing. GREAT job Blue Knights, I hope to see you out in California again sometime soon.

Going into finals, 4-7 were very very tight. I was on the edge of my seat for each of the next 3 shows, as they all involved my beloved Santa Clara Vanguard. Bluecoats came out with a chip on their shoulder, notably ###### off about dropping from 5th to 7th. The horns were on, the drumline was clean (except for a few messy, exposed passages), and the guard was absolutely fantastic. I don't know how to say this, but I think the design staff needs to come up with a more "mature" concept next year. As hard as they are trying to hang with the big boys, the shows have just lacked something. Maybe cohesion, maybe more subtlety, I'm not sure what it is. The drum/guard feature was great, the silent guard stuff really set the crowd off, and the little change at the end, with the guy in last year's uniform running off the field with the briefcase was cute. I'm just not sure where some of it was going, and with a concept like that, I think the buildup to and resolution of the theme needs to be a tad more clear. All in all, there were several excellent moments in the show, and while it was clear to me they deserved 7th at semis, the jury was out last night. The performance level was just fantastic. I sincerely hope they continue their push to the top - they got a little taste this year of what it would be like to stand above the perennial powers, and I imagine they want more of it.

Carolina Crown was absolutely on last night. The horns put out the most refined, sublime sound of the night, and while the book was not as hard as other books, they performed theirs better than anyone else. The horse concept was cute, if at times a little bit cheesy, but the powerful maturity of their sound, their visual presence, the cleanliness of the colorguard, and strong support from the percussion turned what could be perceived as a cute little show into a fan favorite. There's this high brass feature in their ballad with several exposed attacks and releases that was absolutely nails. I felt like I could see right through the corps and it wasn't as if I was watching a corps perform their show. I was watching the very manifestation of the music and choreography as it was meant to be, if that makes sense. Absolute transparency, I think, is only achieved when every member buys into a moment. There were several of those for Crown last night. And don't forget that slo-mo section. That was pretty funny. Crown! You really did it for me this year...congratulations, and I hope to see more of the same from you in the future.

Santa Clara Vanguard is the corps I was born to march. I love SCV, and this week reminded me why. I saw the show early season, the night they added in their closer, and they looked a mess. Quarters, I saw they were up to something. Semis, they were phenomenal and I KNEW they had 5th locked up for that night. The show is quite complex, which serves the music they play with artistic integrity, something I think Vanguard's success in the late 90's and early 00's was dependent on. It takes a few times watching this show to understand all of the nuance that went into the design. I'm glad SCV is finding its roots again so that the organization doesn't have to endure what they did in the early-mid 90's. There were a few issues of timing in the opener, but they pushed through and had a great show. That said, I wasn't sure Crown or Coats wouldn't pop them tonight. I knew it was going to be close. Keep the staff in place, continue to recruit and establish relationships with the many fine California HS band programs and universities, and you will be just fine, Santa Clara. I'm expecting big things next year...

Phantom Regiment is the Cadillac of drum corps, to me. You always know what to expect out of them, and you always know its going to shine brightly under the lights. This year was no exception. I'll admit, it took a few viewings for me to warm to the show, but on finals night, I had to give it up to them. The use of the backdrops was nice, the colorguard performed beautifully, though costume design is another issue, the hornline was powerful, though at times a little bit harsh. I think it's purely preference, though, as they mastered the presentation of their concept so well. I think the corps is more talented than their show, and could have placed higher with a better visual program. I don't know what it is. SCV and Cavies have drill that treats members as dots, since most of the bright colors are concentrated up top on their uniforms. Cadets and Crown do a good job of presenting the whole vertical line that is each member, given the white in their uniform. PR should be in that category, too, but I feel like their style of drill doesn't work very well with their uniform. Don't get me wrong, I like their design, and there's a reason they were top 4 this year, but it wasn't because of their drill. Oh, and that friggin battery - good lord, they were drumming. Excellent as always, Phantom!

Cavaliers were up next, and by the time they were done, I thought they could be a dark horse to win it. After all, they were what... .5 down from the lead at semis? Very very crisp presentation from them tonight, and visually, they had their book on lockdown. The colorguard was far and away the best in a field with what I see as very strong this year. What was lacking for me, though, was the music. I have come to expect a particular sound from the Cavs, and it just seems it wasn't there this year. That said, I know this show will get plenty of play on my DVDs this winter and beyond.

And on to the top two...

I thought the Cavaliers might have an outside shot based on their performance, and the performances of both the Cadets and Blue Devils the night before, but then the Cadets came on and removed all doubt that it was between these two. Say what you will about the narration, the show design, the concept, whatever. This corps was championship caliber. Such an aggressive approach to their show, they literally blew me away in a few spots. The hornline played as one throughout the entire show, and I thought they should have won. The drumline played quite well, the marching was crisp as a bag of fresh Doritos, and the colorguard was excellent and very well integrated into the program.

The Blue Devils, on the other hand left me with much to be desired. Granted, they performed with their signature gusto/out for blood/killer instinct which they usually come with at finals, but the show itself was subpar for me. Over the years I've gotten used to the Devils use of trickery and section showcasing as substitute far artistic content, but this year, the whole first half of the show really peeved me. I could say more, but I wont...On the other hand, the second half of their show seemed much more well conceived and mature, and I was definitely giving it up for them those last few chords. The level that this corps seems to find year after year is astonishing. The brass playing, the drumming, even the colorguard as young as they look, and oh my - that pit. I've also REALLY been impressed with how they've been marching these last couple years. I simply can't say too many good things about the performers. But the Cadets were better, as I saw it. I need to bite my tongue now...

Overall, this year was FANTASTIC. I hope drum corps remains this competitive. I hope the current top 3 continue to push the boundaries of the activity in all aspects. I hope SCV and Bluecoats can push through early season success and turn it into season long success next year. I hope Phantom continues to be Phantom, and that Crown continues it rise into the upper echelon of masterful brass playing and colorguard. I hope that Blue Knights continues to innovate and figures out a way to keep their horns dancing while learning how to play just a liiiiittle bit better. And I hope everyone else learns from their successes and blunders to make next season even more exciting.

Great job to everyone, and we'll see you next year!

Edited by alto92

Thanks for the review. I agree with much of what you said.

thanks for the review

I agree with many of your comments - that 4-7 bunch sure was tight and exciting. Frankly - my favorite shows of the year existed in that group and the 14-10 place set

As for the top three after seeing the shows so many times there was a clear gap which developed between Cavies and the top two. Not that they weren't great but content-wise musically the program just seemed a little empty compared to Cadets & BD

Semi finals Cadets were on fire - IMO gave the "performance of the year" - and not just for them / but for all corps.

That said I realized that unless they could somehow put on the "peformance of they year" two nights in a row BD would win. IF the judges were to put Cadets ahead of BD - it would have happened on Friday night.

Saturday both corps gave very solid but somewhat less inspired performances. A little less energy from the Cadets / and a little more execution from BD Saturday is what made the difference.

After they performed we (myself and the folks around me) agreed BD had spead them by about .75 - an obvious gap had emerged.

Reviewing the captions I tend to agree with everything except visual. Two tenths more there for Cadets would have put the results and the gap exactly where it should have been.

Two great corps. Ten really good corps.

Big crowd (although annoyingly NOT a well-behaved or animated crowd), good weather, an somewhat ok stadium (not as bad as I had worried for sight and sound, but buzzing lights - etc sucked)...

All in all a great year with good performances and programs - especially for the corps NOT in the top 3.

Thanks!!

Edited by George

The Blue Devils, on the other hand left me with much to be desired. Granted, they performed with their signature gusto/out for blood/killer instinct which they usually come with at finals, but the show itself was subpar for me. Over the years I've gotten used to the Devils use of trickery and section showcasing as substitute far artistic content, but this year, the whole first half of the show really peeved me. I could say more, but I wont...On the other hand, the second half of their show seemed much more well conceived and mature, and I was definitely giving it up for them those last few chords.

I think you are the very first person this year that has said they liked the second half of BDs show better that the first half. It's kind of refreshing. I will admit that I am in the majority and liked the first half more, but I do think the second half did not get the praise it deserved. It was a very mature design, it just had a different kind of energy.

I think you are the very first person this year that has said they liked the second half of BDs show better that the first half. It's kind of refreshing. I will admit that I am in the majority and liked the first half more, but I do think the second half did not get the praise it deserved. It was a very mature design, it just had a different kind of energy.

Almost like two different shows, really. The way I think about is by comparing the first half of the show to McDonalds, and the secong half to health food. McDonalds is really really friggin tasty, but it does nothing for you nutritionally. Health food can be fantastic if you build a healthy lifestyle around exercise and eating well. If you eat a double quarterpounder w/ chesse, fries, and a Coke, followed by some super healthy tofu dish, the health food is going to taste like crap. I think people get so wrapped up in the excitement of the first part of the show, they don't realize there's really nothing to it other than pure entertainment. Then comes some nice shaping, complete with a bit more thought with regard to the music, and it seems to fall flat unless you really look at it. What makes drum corps appeal to me is the combination of artistry and entertainment. Furthermore, I'm seldom entertained by something without depth, but can be fully entertained by something that approaches the activity with an artistic goal.

But that's just me.

Edited by alto92

Thank you for the review!

I agree with the post that my favorite shows were not the Top 3. They were Madison Scouts, Colts, Bluecoats, and Carolina Crown. I hope other corps focus more on entertainment value in the future.

Kurt...GREAT analogy.

But I prefer my drum corps to be big Double Doubles--MONSTER STYLE (only us southern Californians know what I mean).

Kurt...GREAT analogy.

But I prefer my drum corps to be big Double Doubles--MONSTER STYLE (only us southern Californians know what I mean).

Fresh, never frozen. All beef (whatever that means - I sure hope hamburgers are all beef). Only the freshest ingredients. The last BD show that was a Double Double for me was probably '99. But again, that's a pretty high standard, the In n' Out food, that is.

wait.....wth is monster style? I know Animal Style is w/ grilled onions. Monster??? What is this madness??

Edited by alto92