2008 Predictions

Is it too early to make 2008 Corps placement predictions ? Maybe, but what the heck, why not ? We had LOTS of people predicting a Cadets win a few hours ago when all known indicators should have led one to believe otherwise. So with that being said, here's my grouping predictions for next year's Championships. Feel free to jump in and predict Corps that you believe will be be lower or higher than these placement groupings ( and even why you believe this to be so, if you want to add that )

Here's mine :

Blue Devils ( 1-3)

Cadets ( 1-3 )

Cavaliers ( 1-3 )

This is always a tough one as this group shares more than 90% of the DCI Titles over the last 35 years. This " Kadevaliers " group as affectionately called will no doubt be a close competition again. They have the staff, pedigree, and recruitment talent every off season that makes it a good bet that one of these Corps will take home a Title next year. So with that, I'll go with...... The Cavaliers. They were a comparatively young Corps this year, and they will find a better formula than they had this year, and the Championship is in the Midwest next year too.

Phantom Regiment ( 2-4)

It's pretty much a given this Corps is not going to beat the Cavaliers, so we start with that premise. Phantom is not going o win a Title next year ( in my view ), but they could finish 2nd. Almost as a birthright, Phantom seems destined to be the loveable also ran. You know in June, they are most likely not going to win. But you know that unless they have a bad ( for them ) year, they are not going to fall below 4th either

SCV,Crown, Bluecoats ( 3- 7th )

One could flip a coin on these Corps as to where they'd finish this year. And my guess, for next year too. If I had to pick one in this group, I'd go with SCV and it's strictly a hunch and based on pedigree only. But Crown seems to have a lot of of momemtum on their side too, and that can't be overlooked.

Blue Knights, Boston......( 8-9th )

These are 2 solid Corps that seem to be perennial locks now to make the top 12 each and every year ( no small acomplishment.). That said, I don't see either of these 2 Corps getting the off season member talent to move up. Likewise, with the consistency of excellence they have established over the last decade, it's hard to see them not attracting sufficient off season member talent to fall out of the top 12 any time soon. If I had to pick which Corps of these fine Corps will finish in 8th and the other 9th, I'd go with Boston.... again, on pedigree alone. Boston's finished as high as 4th, and BK hasn't quite advanced that high. BK also seemed to have more mature vets in their Corps this year too, and by contrast Boston appeared younger.

Colts, Glassmen, Spirit, Academy, Blue Stars, Madison, Crossmen ( 10-16th )

when one reads the names of these Corps each one of them can make a compelling case that they can advance over the others. Certainly, Madison has to be the one that comes immediately to mind with the potential to reassert themselves and get their ship back on course. That said, there are quite a few Corps in this group that tey will have to leapfrog over to get back into the top 12. They key for them will be to get everyone on the same page organizationally and vision wise, or they will stuggle competitively next year as well. The Crossmen will need to show that their new Texas locale can compete for off season talent in Texas with other Corps competing for talent there as well. The Colts had their best season in memory and have lots of momentum going into the offseason. The Glassmen have a solid staff that knows how to prepare the corps. Spirit showed a lot of toughness this year by fighting off strong competition for that 12th position. And The Blue Stars are definately a Corps on the rise that looks poised to advance. This is a very competitive group. But I'd go with The Academy right now as having the best chance to advance within this group. They have the organizational structure it appears in place to make it happen for them next year in a possible break out year provided they have a strong nucleus returning.

Pacific Crest, Cascades, Southwind, Troopers, Mandarins ( 17-21 ) These are Corps that can be entertaining as heck some years. They have not yet demonstrated yet that they have the organizational stuctures, staff recognition, and member talent that will allow them to compete for a top 12 spot at present. If they can move out of this grouping to the higher grouping, that would be start. Pacific Crest moved up 4 spots from last year. The Troopers have already begun to announce camps for next year and they have a lot of history on their side. Cascades have been in top 12 before, and Southwind and Mandarins seems organizationally sound to this outsider. If I had to pick a Corps in this group to shine a little above the others in this group next year, I 'd say The Troopers

Pioneeer ( 22 )

I love this Corps. I Like the Irish theme they put forth each year, and find them entertaining. I see no indication from the last few years that they will move up. It doesn't seem to bother them a bit. And I sort of find that, in a peculiar way that I really can't explain, refreshing.

Anyway, that's my take. Feel free to jump in and tell me you agree with my predictions or jump in and tell me I'm as wrong as can be. Thoughts ?

Edited by X DM

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it too early to make 2008 Corps placement predictions ? Maybe, but what the heck, why not ? We had LOTS of people predicting a Cadets win a few hours ago when all known indicators should have led one to believe otherwise. So with that being said, here's my grouping predictions for next year's Championships. Feel free to jump in and predict Corps that you believe will be be lower or higher than these placement groupings ( and even why you believe this to be so, if you want to add that )

Here's mine :

Blue Devils ( 1-3)

Cadets ( 1-3 )

Cavaliers ( 1-3 )

This is always a tough one as this group shares more than 90% of the DCI Titles over the last 35 years. This " Kadevaliers " group as affectionately called will no doubt be a close competition again. They have the staff, pedigree, and recruitment talent every off season that makes it a good bet that one of these Corps will take home a Title next year. So with that, I go with...... The Cavaliers. They were a comparatively young Corps this year, and they will find a better formula than this year, and the Championships are in the Midwest.

Phantom Regiment ( 2-4)

It's pretty much a given this Corps is not going to beat the Cavaliers, so we start with that premise. Phantom is not going o win a Title next year ( in my view ), but they could finish 2nd. Almost as a birthright, Phantom seems destined to be the loveable also ran. You know in June, they are most likely not going to win. But you know that unless they have a bad ( for them ) year, they are not going to fall below 4th either

SCV,Crown, Bluecoats ( 3- 7th )

One could flip a coin on these Corps as to where they'd finish this year. And my guess, for next year too. If I had to pick one in this group, I'd go with SCV and it's strictly a hunch and based on pedigree only. But Crown seems to have a lot of of momemtum on their side too, and that can't be overlooked.

Blue Knights, Boston......( 8-9th )

These are 2 solid Corps that seem now to be perennial locks to make top 12 each and every year ( no small acomplishment.). That said, I don't see either of these 2 Corps getting the off season member talent to move up. Likewise, with the consistency of excellence they have established over the last decade, it's hard to see them not attracting sufficient off season member talent to fall out of the top 12 any time soon. If I had to pick which Corps of these fine Corps will finish in 8th and the other 9th, I'd go with Boston.... again, on pedigree alone. Boston's finished as high as 4th, and BK hasn't quite advanced that high. BK also seemed to have more mature vets in their Corps this year too, and by contrast Boston appeared younger.

Colts, Glassmen, Spirit, Academy, Blue Stars, Madison, Crossmen ( 10-16th )

when one reads the names of these Corps each one of them can make a compelling case that they can advance over the others. Certainly, Madison has to be the one that comes immediately to mind with the potential to reassert themselves and get their ship back on course. That said, there are quite a few Corps in this group that tey will have to leapfrog over to get back into the top 12. They key for them will be to get everyone on the same page organizationally and vision wise, or they will stuggle competitively next year as well. The Crossmen will need to show that their new Texas locale can compete for off season talent in Texas with other Corps competing for talent there as well. The Colts had their best season in memory and have lots of momentum going into the offseason. The Glassmen have a solid staff that knows how to prepare the kids. Spirit showed a lot of toughness this year by fighting off strong competition for that 12th position. And The Blue Stars are definateyl a Corps on the rise that looks poised to advance. This is a very competitive group. But I'd go with The Academy right now as having the best chance to advance within this group. They have the organizational structure it appears in place to make it happen for them next year in a possible break out year provided they have a strong nucleus returning.

Pacific Crest, Cascades, Southwind, Troopers, Mandarins ( 17-21 ) These are Corps that can be entertaining as heck some years. They have not yet demonstrated yet that they have the organizational stuctures, staff recognition, and member talent that will allow them to compete for a top 12 spot at present. If they can move out of this grouping to the higher grouping, that would be start. Pacific Crest moved up 4 spots from last year. The Troopers have already begun to announce camps for next year and they have a lot of history on their side. Cascades have been in top 12 before, and Southwind and Mandarins seems organizationally sound to this outsider. If I had to pick a Corps in this group to shine above the other next year, I 'd say The Troopers

Pioneeer ( 22 )

I love this Corps. I Like the Irish theme they put forth each year, and find them entertaining. I see no indication from the last few years that they will move up. It doesn't seem to bother them a bit. And I sort of find that, in a peculiar way that I really can't explain, refreshing.

Anyway, that's my take. Feel free to jump in and tell me you agree with my predictions or jump in and tell me I'm as wrong as can be. Thoughts ?

not to be a hater, but, your predictions for next year are basically exactly the same as placements were this year?

maybe this thread should be billed as more of recent trends instead of full out predictions...trends are based completely on previous evidence while predictions at least have some type of forward thinking reasoning behind them

not to be a hater, but, your predictions for next year are basically exactly the same as placements were this year?

maybe this thread should be billed as more of recent trends instead of full out predictions...trends are based completely on previous evidence while predictions at least have some type of forward thinking reasoning behind them

I don't think your response was one of " hate " so don't worry that I 'll take it in that vein. I do place a lot of stock in my predictions on historical trends. I do believe in this as my predictions for next year. I do think the predictions were not wild eyed. For instance, I don't have the Glassmen winning the Title, or The Cavaliers to finish in 11th. You havn't told us which Corps you believe will finish where either. What is your more " forward thinking" predictions that might differ than mine ? Just asking.

<see my intentionally pathetic "predictions" for 2008 Finals in the "2008 DCI Finals" thread>

- fun to talk about, but worthless to try and be serious about yet (next years finals that is...)

1. Cavies

2. BD

3. PR

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Crown

7. SCV

8. Boston

9. BK

10. Colts

11. Glassmen

12. Academy

Cavies. They will be good, and it is an anniversary year.

1. Academy.

2. Crossmen

3. VK

4. Spartans

5. The Coachmen

6. Sky Ryders

7. 27

8. Boston Crusaders (because aren't they ALWAYS in 8th or 9th)

9. The Blousemen

10. The Albuquerque Amigos

11. The Westminster Chorus

12. The San Andreas Faults.

1. Cadets

2. Cavaliers

3. Bluecoats

4. Blue Devils

Ok, well, who knows, but I like BLOOO to move up again.

JW

And the year before, and the year before. And the year after, and the year after...