Who was your favorite PBS broadcasting team?

Pat Birch?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good answer! Pat Birch is truly the answer to a trivia question here.

I agree that Rita Moreno's presence and natural enthusiasm translated well during the telecast. I'd have her back in a NY second.

When we ended up with Gowdy, we were supposed to have Dick Enberg - who was both in his prime and a drum corps fan. That would have been nice, if the scheduling could have been arranged.

I miss Michael Cesario. He's so much fun and has so much great drum corps knowledge. We're tortured by this idiot "Jessica" from BD because there was an outcry of PC garbage about how..."enthusiastic"... Michael can be...and did we want this to be the face of DCI...blah, blah, blah. Bring him back now and liven things up. Dennis and Rondo are terrific, but they do need a foil in the booth and he was a great one. Heck, put Rita Moreno in the booth with Michael and let them have at it. It would be great!

Rayburn, Maynard, Carmine, etc. Bad. Very bad.

Karen

Edited by kstein

I actually liked when Rita Moreno was with Reliable Rondo. She really showed how excited she was about the performances. Very sincere reactions. That was 1980.

Second that. She also tried to promote it on the Tonight Show with David Brenner hosting. I say tried 'cause everytime she started to talk about it he'd interupt her with comments on how good she looked. A frustrasted Rita finally snipped back after being asked about how she does it (keep looking so young) again and quipped back with "Avacado and Baby Caca.".

Shut him up...at least for a little while.

Nancy

Edited by neholgate

Curt Gowdy was simply funny for his trouble saying things correctly.

I don't think Rondinero ever had his name pronounced correctly when Curt introduced him -

"And introducing my partner...Mr. Steve Rondindero" or something else like that. Go back and watch the 1992 telecast if you have it.

You never knew what to excpect along the lines of flubs with him.

Pat Birch?

She was with Mangione in 1983. That was the broadcast when Rondinero asked Chuck what he thought of a corps' hornline and Churck's respone is he thought the drums were great. Birch was moved by SCV's closer, Appalachian Spring. She made comments about her time with Martha Graham's dance company and performing it.

But who can forget Rob McConnell's "puce" comment in 1982.

Edited by jbl

I don't have a favorite team ... Rondo, DeLucia and Jessica do a very good job. I do miss Cesario, though ... He's larger than life and very funny.

The 1980 broadcast I thought was the best DCI broadcast. It was also the last time the top 12 were shown live on PBS. Steve Rondinaro, Jim Peck and Rita Moreno. There was also a sideline reporter (female).forget her name..that did live interviews as corps came off the field. Steve Rondinaro hosted DCI finals starting in 1979, but he actually hosted DCI East from Allentown in 1978 which was also broadcast by PBS, so when he says he's been doing this for 29 years, he is correct. If I leave anyone out, someone correct me but from memory here are some of the hosts and co-hosts of DCI telecasts and cinecasts..

Gene Rayburn

Helen Rayburn

Peter Emmons

Steve Rondinaro

Jim Peck

Maynard Ferguson

Rita Moreno

Carmen Appice

Rob McConnell

Chuck Mangione

Pat Birch

Dr. Richard Santo

Dennis DeLucia

Don Angelica

Micheal Cesario

Dr. Charles Webb

Curt Gowdy

John Madden

Although Gowdy butchered a lot of names, I thought it was a major coup to land him. The Rondinaro/Delucia tandem is the best IMO.

It's a shame...

from what I understand, finals was broadcasted live WITH retreat.

Looks like I missed out on that boat. :(