Why the Cadets should have won

I'm curious.

I see a lot of people (mostly in the anti-narration crowd) here saying, "The Cadets would've won the title had it not been for the narration...."

I also recall many people taking issue with the fact that the narration isn't scored. If it's considered at all, I would imagine it falls under the GE category, in which the Cadets tied with BD (with a 39.30).

Considering BD was almost a full point ahead of Cadets at finals, are we saying that dropping the narration would've pushed the Cadets GE score to a perfect 40 and made the brass or percussion play another .10 better? Maybe made the guard a little more "on"?

Or should we just be honest in saying, "I would've liked the show better had it not been for the narration."

It's hard to overcome a 4th in percussion, by a lot, and 4th in guard. None of those have one thing to do with narration.

Now, their distant 3rd in Music Ensemble might have had some sort of narration performance 'hit', though without hearing the judge's tape there is no way to know why they were so far down to BD in that caption (they were WAAAY up in Ensemble).

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree that Cadets should have won.

The most important job for the judges on Saturday is to pick the best corps, and they did that. Devils sold their show the best. And also I felt that the corps ended up in the right placement order, with perhaps a quibble here or there on recap rankings.

Cadets had a great drum corps with fine performers, but I agree with earlier posters that they were held back by the overbearing, lame vocals. Just shut up and play! -- they had a great musical ensemble and some cool drill well marched. So why blather on and on with bad narration?

The crowd wanted to like the Cadets, you could hear the appreciation for the sound and drill, but you could also hear the collective groan when Napoleon started his monologue. If they had killed 80% of the narration early season they would have had the crowd behind them all year, and with this strong corps they might have seen a higher finish at finals.

The Cadets had a fabulous performance Friday, but Saturday seemed to lack that same energy and cleanliness.

I enjoyed the Cadets show more. I think the Cadets could have won if their performance was little stronger on Saturday night. But it wasn't. BD was the best performer that night.

even before reading the post, i agreed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing a good Lexapro couldn't help with!

Hope you have good insurance if you're on that stuff.

<---has to get authorizations on too many orders of Lexapro every day of my life. <_<

:P

Anyways...

even before reading the post, i agreed.

Would you care to explain why, or is it just because you dont like BD and/or do like the cadets more

The reason BD won is because they were cleaner

thats what corps are judged on last time I checked

I dont mind that alot of you think Cadets shouldve won but, please tell me why from a performance stand point because clearly both shows were equally effective (39.30)