Booing in the World of Arts

Hey folks, it's nothing new.

Booing has been present in the world of opera forever. Heck, Placido Domingo was booed at the Metropolitan Opera last year.

Famed conductor Leonard Slatkin encourages booing for the audience to tell management what they think of the programming. (You hear that George??....We HATE IT!!!)

For God's sake....Burt Bacharach was booed LAST NIGHT for singing a song with political overtones at a Pops concert in San Diego.

I know....it's all about booing the kids. My son was booed regularly when he marched in the USC Marching Band (people seem to get ###### off when their favorite team is getting their butts kicked). He loved it when they would get booed.

OK flamers.....have at it.

Hey folks, it's nothing new.

Booing has been present in the world of opera forever. Heck, Placido Domingo was booed at the Metropolitan Opera last year.

Famed conductor Leonard Slatkin encourages booing for the audience to tell management what they think of the programming. (You hear that George??....We HATE IT!!!)

For God's sake....Burt Bacharach was booed LAST NIGHT for singing a song with political overtones at a Pops concert in San Diego.

I know....it's all about booing the kids. My son was booed regularly when he marched in the USC Marching Band (people seem to get ###### off when their favorite team is getting their butts kicked). He loved it when they would get booed.

OK flamers.....have at it.

The list of musciians that have been so roundly booed in a performance that they had to leave the stage is pretty lengthy indeed. And as mentioned before, on any Fall weekend the number of college football and basketball games where 18-22 year old amateur athletes will be booed, heckled and so forth literally runs into the thousands.

Whatever you need to male you feel better about being classless, go for it. It won't change my opinion of you and the behavior.

Edited by TXMystreaux

well... whatever.

But I gotta tell you... this whole subject of booing and whatever you wanna call it has taken a turn for the surreal.

I don't really like booing, but hey, my band's been booed before...didn't really hurt my feelings.

Whatever you need to male you feel better about being classless, go for it. It won't change my opinion of you and the behavior.
If a person does something that one finds offensive and one calls it "classless" that is an observation of their behavior. If one calls the person "classless" that is a judgement on their character and a personal attack. That is at least as offensive as the original act in many cases.

Having been a perennial fan non-favorite, whatever. Like it was said, this is surreal. I think it's pretty clear that people in the upper D1 areas are not booing the kids' efforts, etc. We all know that the boos that exist aren't because the kids are busting ###. Therefore, I personally believe some well-timed stuff in this activity can make a good point without getting out of hand.

If a person does something that one finds offensive and one calls it "classless" that is an observation of their behavior. If one calls the person "classless" that is a judgement on their character and a personal attack. That is at least as offensive as the original act in many cases.

Couldn't agree more. I for one am almost glad this season is over so I won't have to go online and see TXMystreaux pontificating again. As someone who knows him and has seen his more than humble beginnings, I am shocked that you guys seem to take every thing he says as if it were chiseled on stone tablets. I suppose even a mediocre musician can hide behind the computer screen and be taken seriously by many. Not me.

I just can't believe what I've been reading on here the past 2 weeks...

Ok, let's really stir the pot, by substituting the name of the corps-

Next season, we should all boo Pioneer until their staff gives them a show they can compete with.

Oh, sorry, is that offensive to some people? Will I get flamed? I like Pioneer, I admire them, but they are always at the bottom of the pack. So, according to all the pro-booing posts, we should boo whenever they are on the field... keeping in mind that we won't be booing the kids, we'll be booing their staff.

Now, doesn't that just sound heartless... YES, IT DOES.

Edited by sardomus