West Coast "Fans"

well - you're wrong. The boo birds picked up on Star in 1991 big time, it got worse in 92 and 93 was the cherry on top of the boo sundae until quarterfinals this year which was even worse than I experienced during the Star years

I'll retract part of what I said, sort of. The way your statement was written appeared that your comment was in respect to 93 only and that the booing started only when they started beating those corps that year and that's what my response was in regard to. Having said that, everything else I said stands plus this... I marched in 1992. I don't recall a single incident of booing for Star in any performance or at any retreat when their scores were announced including finals and I was on that field for finals retreat. It was my rookie year, so if there was booing I definitely would have noticed that. I've always abhorred disrespectful people and it's always been a pet peeve of mine. Booing is a disrespectful act that tops my list so if someone booed for Star I definitely woud have noticed. As it was I had to ask why everyone was booing Bluecoats. Obviously that was explained to me. We did hear some sarcastic comments from people sitting next to us in the crowd such as "that's cheesy" or "a flag... how cute" but they were never said loud enough for anyone else to hear except those directly around them. I do not remember any booing at Star for any of the shows we were at with them.

As far as 91, I didn't march so cannot comment on whether there was or was not booing.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, while I agree such display was distasteful on that Thursday night, I don't think it was the most horrific event in DCI history as some are trying to make it out to be, and necessarily makes East Coast fans any better than West Coast fans.
People will boo things they are unhappy about. It's happened before and it will happen again. Edited by VKMello84

I noticed my typo, and went back and edited it. I meant 'distasteful.' Sorry.

It's okay. We all undermeant what you stood. B)

Thanks ;)

To just shed light on Star '92, there actually was some booing throughout the season, but I think it stemmed mostly from the previous year -- not so much because of the show itself. Semis had to be the most uncomfortable though. The crowd starting cheering for the Cavies victory before our placement had even been announced, and when the scores were announced, there was faint booing -- enough to were it could be somewhat picked up on the field.

It will no doubt happen to other corps in the future, as it did with the The Cadets this season -- rather unfortunate.

Yeah, sadly they sure did. Narration isnt as well received as the "defeders til death" folk want you to believe. They dont even go to many shows just create reality.

~G~

Have you taken a poll or something? I am quite certain you don't know what shows everyone goes to.

Thanks ;)

To just shed light on Star '92, there actually was some booing throughout the season, but I think it stemmed mostly from the previous year -- not so much because of the show itself. Semis had to be the most uncomfortable though. The crowd starting cheering for the Cavies victory before our placement had even been announced, and when the scores were announced, there was faint booing -- enough to were it could be somewhat picked up on the field.

It will no doubt happen to other corps in the future, as it did with the The Cadets this season -- rather unfortunate.

I'm confused if you mean the booing occurred on semi's or finals. If it was finals, I sure did not hear it. We got 12th so we were in the endzone so that may have contributed to us not hearing it, but I really didn't ever hear any booing for you guys ever. If it was semis, I wasn't there for that.

As for other corps, you're right. It is going to happen again and that just sucks!

One of the reasons i think this year was so bad, is that the cadets were a threat. In 2005, the blue devils were done (no offense intended). I enjoyed the show a bit, but it was pretty solidly 4th, so i think people werent worried about it. It was kind of a quaint, weird little show, ala the cadets jethro tull show the year before. This year however, the cadets were on BD's heels all year, and actually passed them the last 2 shows before finals. There was a genuine animosity in that stadium, and people were genuinely pulling for them to fail, so bd could have their 12th. If the Cadets had been in 4th or 5th like last year coming in, I have a feeling that this issue would have been nearly nonexistent.

I think this is a big mis-read. The reaction to the Cadets a the quarters of course was because of the hash-gate incident and Hoppy's salute to the fans. That stunt combined with the sincere dislike of the Cadets narration (which wasn't limited to California) was the less than exuberant response from the fans. From what I could tell in the theater on Thursday night most of the corps got great reactions from the fans and SCV and BD got HUGE reactions. Did you really expect it to be any different. But I also know that when the Cadets came to the West Coast in 2001 and Phantom in 2003 the California fans treated them great with standing ovations and huge reactions at every show I saw.

I'm confused if you mean the booing occurred on semi's or finals. If it was finals, I sure did not hear it. We got 12th so we were in the endzone so that may have contributed to us not hearing it, but I really didn't ever hear any booing for you guys ever. If it was semis, I wasn't there for that.

As for other corps, you're right. It is going to happen again and that just sucks!

Yeah, I don't quite get it either. Scores were announced after each corps at semis much like they are now. At finals Star dropped to third. There was no Cavaliers victory to celebrate until the Cadets placement had been announced.

Woah, woah, woah. West coast fans? Think about what you just said, and revise your title. I hardly doubt that the entire event was spread throughout the entire West Coast.