DCA opening a junior divison

Suggestion 3 is a misnomer. Just because you have more corps does NOT automatically equate in to more shows. Running a show does have a cost. Speaking for myself, being part of an upstart all age corps takes time to generate renewable income. Shows typically lose money the first year or two until they get enough of a following buying tickets that will offset the costs of hosting. I think it's been pretty clear in DCA that just because you have a new corps in your region doesn't mean you should expect a show to happen for anywhere from 2-5 years. If you're talking about Jr corps converts from DCI to DCA ... they have income already in place. If you're talking about bringing back a defunct Jr corps .... you'll have to wait a couple of years for it to happen.

most active corps host a show,..................

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the fact that there is the little matter of the not-for-profit status of the organizations supported by their mission statements that are generally written to promote youth/young-adult education. Not saying that these can't be adjusted and re-certified, certainly they can. But it's not necessarily a snap of the finger and you're back up and running tomorrow with a new format, that's all.

true,......................but as you say, it can be done,..................also, these groups could also sponsor cadet corps like the Statesmen do,...........................that would fulfill the mission statement.

Sooner or later the powers that be in DCI and DCA are going to have to put their heads together and figure this out. It's starting to happen, but it looks like a long road.

And if I win the Powerball jackpot this Saturday, the Div. II/III's will have their own new circuit: DCH (Drum Corps Harvey). They'll actually get paid for their performances (there's a new idea, huh?), get great housing, competent judges, respect, etc., etc. And admission to the shows would be free! You'd be amazed at what a $210M jackpot will buy ^0^ .

That sounds great Harvey but what are you gong to do the second year with no money ??? :lol::ph34r::blink:

Something will happen. Not sure how soon but it is coming. DII/III is on the verge of perishing. They are not even cutting CD's this year for II/III. I figure it will go down in one of the following ways:

(1) Div II/III ceases to exist. We come a little closer to the super corps with 2 divisons touring super model he who shall not be named envisioned. (See the increase in membership to 150. Who do you think that benifits???) OR

(2) II/III will split some how and try to make a go of it idependently. OR

(3) DCA may try to take on a Jr divison. (This is is kinda far fetched since I have the feeling they are having enough trouble handling the expansion they are already having.)

If I had to lay money I would bet on #1 as much as it hurts. #3 would be cool but who knows. It all comes down to cost and economic viablility. When it pays better to be last place in Div I than it does to be first in II/III the writing is on the wall.

Mike

Edit: Cause I can't spell.

Edited by WWonka

Even way back in my day, shows Labor Day or later (Wildwood) had shows we called "swiss cheese" due to holes from members who left for college.

I just wouldn't dismiss the timing issue as casually as it appear some are.

As for changing a junior corps to all-age, esp a smaller one in div III with younger members, is also not 'relatively easy', IMO. I have a feeling that there would be parents who don't mind their young kids marching with their peers who would think twice about permitting them to march/rehearse with adults all season long...and spending a decent amount of time on the road. It's just the times we live in. Nothing against the adults.

I agree. I marched with Reading in the late 90s. I was in my early college years. We were a pretty tame corps at that point based on other stories from other corps that I heard. When you have a group of youth working together with their peers, greatness happens. Kids need to learn how to work together with people their own age. It helps them with their personal beliefs about themselves, how to deal with people who are different than you, etc. Now, I did learn a lot from the grown-ups I marched with in Reading. But something about the youth working together just makes magic for these kids later in life. Also, funders are more likely to support a program that is geared to developing kids into healthy adults. And as stated above, the parents issue.

• 1 month later...

Bump for rating.

Edited by Kyle B

Please tell... why didn't it go lthrough?

Could it be that it didn't "go through" because the missions are different? Could it be that DCA is an entertainment/recreation activity while DCI has an educational focus?