"Old vs. New"

Within the past 10 years, drum corps have continued to innovate and the push the envelope of what we consider a drum corps show. I think it is great that the activty is moving forward. Nonetheless, some of the shows of not too long ago -- say within the last 10-15 years -- would give today's shows a run for their money. Which of the following shows do you think could have taken first at Finals this year in Pasadena?

[1] Star of Indiana (1993)

[2] Madison Scouts (1995)

[3] Phantom Regiment (1996)

[4] The Cavaliers (2000 and 2002)

[5] The Cadets (2000)

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Phantom give Symphonie Fantastique another shot.

I really think of it in reverse. I think this year's Top 7 would give some champion shows of the past a good run.

1996 PHANTOM REGIMENT

Some other shows to consider:

1992 Cadets

1997 Cadets

1989 Phantom Regiment - let Adam Sage update the guard and it would insane!

1995 Blue Devils

1990 Cavaliers

None of them, frankly. Win the title? No. Standards are changing faster than that. I think all of these would still be finalist corps, but not win under today's standards. If you go back much farther, some winners wouldn't even be finalist corps, I really believe. Just my opinion. Others may differ.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Phantom give Symphonie Fantastique another shot.

I like 'Harold in Italy,' personally. Don't think anyone has ever done that...also a Berlioz!

Beat_It_Video_Clip.jpg

Is your avatar from a postal metering machine? What the heck are those supposed to mean/say?

None of them, frankly. Win the title? No. Standards are changing faster than that. I think all of these would still be finalist corps, but not win under today's standards. If you go back much farther, some winners wouldn't even be finalist corps, I really believe. Just my opinion. Others may differ.

Agreed with the exception of Star 93. It was just different enough tha it could possibly fit in. Now, talent-wise, they were renowned for working their butts off. I bet there are a lot of finalist corps today who are more talented.

Agree with the comment about Adam and 89 PR, but applied to 93 Star. Updated, this show would be competitive.

And I totally agree about today's top 12 winning in previous years. BD or Cadets this year might be undefeated prior to 2000. Lots of great shows this year!

2002 Cavaliers would easily win this year. The others (with the exception of Madison 1995) would be very competitive at the top as well...