DCI Minimalist Movement

I would venture to say that Star '93 was ALL gimmick. The concept, being something SO far outside of what any other drum corps had done, was intentionally selected to create a stir among our community. I think that makes it a gimmick. Now, I'm not saying it is a bad thing AT ALL...the word gimmick has a lot of negative connotations associated with it in our activity that make it an unappealing way to describe a show. But along those lines, you could argue that just about any show that tries something new is a gimmick...so...now my head hurts...

M

I disagree...granted technically a gimmick is just a new way of presenting things, but colloquially it has grown to mean something that is shallow and or meaningless. It means that the primary function of something is to attract attention. I think the primary function of Star '93 was playing and marching a well designed, entertaining show - not to just attract attention.

but, as you stated, the word does have lots of negative connotations so maybe we should steer clear of it altogether

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I don't even understand half of whats written in this thread, though it intrugues me.

I think I am sitting with you on this one, but I also find the discussion extremely interesting. I'm confused though with regard to the original reference to minimalism and its movement in DCI. I do not have any education in music history and, therefore, I can’t add anything to the discussion of whether or not the music can be categorized as (or influenced by) minimalism. However, I agree with the assertion that some of the shows referenced utilize a design based on minimalism when I view it from the broader definition of minimalism in art and design. I agree that the Cavies (and some of the other shows mentioned) fully conform to my understanding of minimalism in art and design (but I am not sure from a musical perspective). Many of these shows have utilized show concepts that are based almost exclusively on musical interpretation and style instead of relying on one cohesive theme to guides one’s interpretation. IMO, this completely conforms to the definition of minimalism. Other excerpts from Wikipedia: “Minimalism describes movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is stripped down to its most fundamental features” and it “is often applied colloquially to designate anything which is spare or stripped to its essentials” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism). I’d also agree that these shows are polar opposites of the theme-based shows of earlier years. However, I’m not sure all of these shows could be categorized as minimalism strictly from a musical perspective. I guess my point is that there are a lot of shows that, to me, one can categorize as having a concept or design based on minimalism, but not include music that is traditionally categorized as minimalism. Of course, I could be totally wrong or have totally confused the issue and, therefore, best left to continue to read the comments of others who seem to have a great understanding of minimalism in music. I’ll keep reading along. :)

P.S. From an artistic perspective, although the original reference is to Cavies shows post-2000, I’d include Cavies 2000 as a design based on minimalism. Despite the theme “Niagara”, I see a stripped-down show design that is a precursor to the 2001-2004 shows.

Drum corps minimalism is SOOOOOOO yesterday. <**>

I'm jaded. I'm ready for drum corps dada.

Which designer has the cojones to bring Alphonse Allais' Funeral March for the Obsequies of a Deaf Man to Marching Music's Major League?? B)

I think I am sitting with you on this one, but I also find the discussion extremely interesting. I'm confused though with regard to the original reference to minimalism and its movement in DCI. I do not have any education in music history and, therefore, I can’t add anything to the discussion of whether or not the music can be categorized as (or influenced by) minimalism. However, I agree with the assertion that some of the shows referenced utilize a design based on minimalism when I view it from the broader definition of minimalism in art and design. I agree that the Cavies (and some of the other shows mentioned) fully conform to my understanding of minimalism in art and design (but I am not sure from a musical perspective). Many of these shows have utilized show concepts that are based almost exclusively on musical interpretation and style instead of relying on one cohesive theme to guides one’s interpretation. IMO, this completely conforms to the definition of minimalism. Other excerpts from Wikipedia: “Minimalism describes movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is stripped down to its most fundamental features” and it “is often applied colloquially to designate anything which is spare or stripped to its essentials” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism). I’d also agree that these shows are polar opposites of the theme-based shows of earlier years. However, I’m not sure all of these shows could be categorized as minimalism strictly from a musical perspective. I guess my point is that there are a lot of shows that, to me, one can categorize as having a concept or design based on minimalism, but not include music that is traditionally categorized as minimalism. Of course, I could be totally wrong or have totally confused the issue and, therefore, best left to continue to read the comments of others who seem to have a great understanding of minimalism in music. I’ll keep reading along. :)

P.S. From an artistic perspective, although the original reference is to Cavies shows post-2000, I’d include Cavies 2000 as a design based on minimalism. Despite the theme “Niagara”, I see a stripped-down show design that is a precursor to the 2001-2004 shows.

I agree with what you're saying. I suppose I should have been clearer in my original post. The theme and design concept seems to be a minimalist approach, but not the music itself. As others have pointed out already, to do a show that also contains true minimalist music would be impractical in an 11 minute competition show. Someone mentioned Adams' "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" as an example of minimalism. The reason that piece works so well for drum corps is that it isn't exactly minimalism. As I said in earlier posts, Adams is really a post-minimalism composer, and "short ride" is a great example of this. While he uses some minimalist techniques like the steady pulse, repeated figures, and focus on tonal harmony, the process is a little different. The piece is much more to the point and things happen and transition very quickly compared to traditional minimalism. Adams seems to blend minimalism, pop music, and romantic era music together and that's why his compositions translate so well to the marching field - short ride, harmonium, etc.

Also, I agree with what you said about Cavies 2000. That year was definitely a precursor to their current trend, but not completely in their current style.

Drum corps is, if anything, a member of Post-Modernism and Maximalism, not minimalism. Either way, it's kind of silly to try to pack drum corps into a nice little box of academia. It's actually incredibly silly. Nothing about drum corps is minimalist. Not show design, not the music, not the drill, nothing. Never will, never was. If someone DOES attempt it, drum corps fans would show the biggest #### fit ever in the history of man. The Rite of Spring premiere would be tame in comparison (actually that was kind of tame in itself anyway).

I'll even further back up my statements with some handy dandy wikipedia pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_modernism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximalism

So yeah, can we just let this whole "drum corps minimalism" thing die please. Barber's Medea ballet is NOT MINIMALISM. Star 93 is NOT MINIMALISM. Cavies 2002 is NOT MINIMALISM. And for the sake of extreme nit picking, Short Ride in a Fast Machine is post-minimalism, not "pure" minimalism. For an example of "pure" minimalism, see any pre-1980s Philip Glass recording if you care to stomach it (I respect that fact that his early stuff is an acquired taste, much so). If we're talking about when he started getting commissions for orchestral works and whatnot, that's definitely post-minimalism. But I digress. My point is, while this topic is interesting, it just annoys me whenever people bring up the Minimalist (or any artistic movement) and try to shove the drum corps square peg into that round academic hole, I get very annoyed and it kind of destroys the point of drum corps in the first place.

SCV 1999 was not artsy...it was a musically focused show with very little theme. :blink:

I wouldn't say drum corps don't have a theme. Maybe not a "concrete idea" like Scheherazade or Faust, but there are pretty agreeable theme that can be around.

Art almost always has a theme, some kind of idea or else it doesn't give atmosphere.

99 Vanguard had a very dark brooding theme and atmosphere. It's very general yes, but you get it since you usually don't characterize that show as very happy and dainty.

93 Star had that abstract modern body movement feel to it.

Drum corps minimalism is SOOOOOOO yesterday. <**>

I'm jaded. I'm ready for drum corps dada.

Which designer has the cojones to bring Alphonse Allais' Funeral March for the Obsequies of a Deaf Man to Marching Music's Major League?? B)

Wouldn't Marching Music Major's League be a bit more accurate? :)

I get very annoyed and it kind of destroys the point of drum corps in the first place.

Yeah, you're absolutely right...even if you took something semi-accessible in a "kinda-minimalist" way, lke, for instance "Harmonielehre" by Adams and made a show out if it, folks would still throw a fit.

It's a fun exercise to do on here in the off season, though...hell, we can ascribe "minimalism" (as an general concept) to a great many things...

...my dog just claimed he was minimalist since he'll only eat Mighty Dog™ dog food. :P